Board games in CM - where to buy?

BonnieandClyde

This coming year we are expecting a few visits from friends and relatives. There are several age groups among them and we thought board games might be a good way to pass the time when not out and about.

We have Monopoly already, but are looking for the following:

Parcheesi.

Sorry.

Backgammon.

Scrabble.

Chess.

Any suggestions on where to get them would be appreciated.

There are some shops at the Night Bazaar - basement level, that sell wooden games. Some are quite good, don't remember what they have but they do have the marbles in the scooped out base, which I think is originally African. I have 2 sets of those.

The first thing that popped into my head was ask them to bring something. Friends and relatives coming to stay always ask what they can bring for you - I know from my own experience if you say nothing it's easy to feel a bit guilty about putting you out whilst giving nothing in return. Something light and (relatively) inexpensive such as a board game is a nice idea for a suggestion.

This coming year we are expecting a few visits from friends and relatives. There are several age groups among them and we thought board games might be a good way to pass the time when not out and about.

We have Monopoly already, but are looking for the following:

Parcheesi.

Sorry.

Backgammon.

Scrabble.

Chess.

Any suggestions on where to get them would be appreciated.

There is a Scrabble club in CM....I think they have a FB page....They might have good sources for finding others....

Uno or Kismet might be good to add.....

2 packs of cards and you can play Golf + expand the decks by 2's if a big crowd.....I've played with as many as 15 people.....Fun game that's impossible to get mad or over competitive at....

Edited by pgrahmm

I don't know what they have but toys or us at the Promenada might have a selection.

Careers comes to mind along with snakes and ladders for the younger ones.

Or you can make up a list and places where they may be found and turn it into a scavenger hunt. If they find an object they must call the other players and notify them that they have it. That way they would get to see a little more of Chiang Mai. Make it a rule that in between each shop they must see a tourist stop. Lot's of them including temples.

Edited by northernjohn

Thanks for all the helpful replies. Much appreciated.

We checked out Central KSK this morning and the toy department didn't have much more than Bingo.

The leads supplied will keep us busy this afternoon.

Thanks again.

Let us know if you need some thing else to do tomorrow.wink.png

Chiang Mai has never been a good place to buy games. Cheap Thai versions of Bingo are available and Makrok sets can be had if you're into that.

Otherwise, as Konini said, ask friends to bring them. Farangland is where they are easy to get and much cheaper.

One exception might be chessboards.

For some time now I've been thinking about having a wood inlay chessboard made here. My idea is for 1"X4" teak enclosing inlaid squares of ebony and white maple.

Ban Tawai and Ban Yuwa are where I'll start looking for a craftsman to do this. I can source the materials myself.

If you're interested, I'll send a PM letting you know how I've made out and how much it cost.

Good luck finding what you want.

Game on...

Chiang Mai has never been a good place to buy games. Cheap Thai versions of Bingo are available and Makrok sets can be had if you're into that.

Otherwise, as Konini said, ask friends to bring them. Farangland is where they are easy to get and much cheaper.

One exception might be chessboards.

For some time now I've been thinking about having a wood inlay chessboard made here. My idea is for 1"X4" teak enclosing inlaid squares of ebony and white maple.

Ban Tawai and Ban Yuwa are where I'll start looking for a craftsman to do this. I can source the materials myself.

If you're interested, I'll send a PM letting you know how I've made out and how much it cost.

Good luck finding what you want.

Game on...

Thanks for the information.

Definitely interested in custom-made chess boards.

Please do send an update.

I wonder if kids are into board games now? Seems they're too busy playing with on-line games.

I might bring a game of Monopoly back with me next trip away. Wonder if Customs have to approve.

I wonder if kids are into board games now? Seems they're too busy playing with on-line games.

I might bring a game of Monopoly back with me next trip away. Wonder if Customs have to approve.

Someone said Monopoly Uno & a few others are at the Toys R Us in Promenada.....