where to put a whole house carbon filter

Negita43

I am considering buying a Mazuma whole house carbon filter but I am confused by their suggested layout.

They propose putting the filter before the storage tank.

In my house I have 2 x 1000 litre storage tanks which are used only when my mains water pressure is low. This means that these tanks could sit with water in them for several weeks (or more).

My understanding is that carbon filters remove chlorine and that chlorine in the water supresses bacteria and viruses

So if I take out the chlorine before storing the water am I not making the stored water suseptible to contamination and therefore wouldnt the carbon filter be better placed after the water storage tanks?

Can anyone guide me on this?

Thanks

Then again if you put the filter after the storage tanks it still can get contaminated..more than it is already...cant it?

My tanks and filter installer suggested to me that most of their fits are filter in between tank and pump.

They consider the life of the pump more important for some reason.

Yes we dont want the dirty gritty water going through the pump into the house.

Personally i would prefer the filter at source then its protecting the tank and the pump.

I would suggest that you use the recommended layout. Simply reconfigure your plumbing so that your house water comes directly from the tanks, the tanks being refilled directly from the mains supply.

Mains - Filter - Tanks - Pump if you have one - House.

Edited by SgtRock

If the water is sitting in your tank for weeks or more , you will still have to add chlorine to the tanks to stop bacteria etc so why then try to remove it??? As rocky says mains- filter- tanks- pump and ensure both tanks are connected from a common suction /draw off.

Remember activated charcoal filters will only remove chlorine, combined chlorines, and chlromines . Absolutely fantastic at removing these but on there own not a lot of good for much else (except ozone).

For others reading this and pressure is the issue a small 800 litre tank should suffice.

If you are on city water i.e. you pay your bills to the PWA all this is done for you at the water works. A charcoal filter will do little else but remove chlorine and its by products nothing else.

In Chiang Mai the free chlorine in the mains water is .45 ppm as of yesterday.

If the water is sitting in your tank for weeks or more , you will still have to add chlorine to the tanks to stop bacteria etc so why then try to remove it??? As rocky says mains- filter- tanks- pump and ensure both tanks are connected from a common suction /draw off.

Remember activated charcoal filters will only remove chlorine, combined chlorines, and chlromines . Absolutely fantastic at removing these but on there own not a lot of good for much else (except ozone).

For others reading this and pressure is the issue a small 800 litre tank should suffice.

If you are on city water i.e. you pay your bills to the PWA all this is done for you at the water works. A charcoal filter will do little else but remove chlorine and its by products nothing else.

In Chiang Mai the free chlorine in the mains water is .45 ppm as of yesterday.

slight edit.

Of course if you are treating water from an unknown scource carbon is good for removing pesticides herbicides etc, but one would hope these are removed at the treatment works if using city water as supplied by the PWA

I'll agree with SgtRock on the placement of Mazuma whole house carbon filters. I've owned one 50 liter Mazuma stainless whole house filter filled with carbon, and one 50 liter Mazuma whole house filter tank filled with Resin since 2007 in Buriram. They were installed by a local Buriram Water Pump Shop and once a year I have the shop change the media. Once a month I backwash the Mazuma water filters. I also benefit from two 20" 5 micron sediment filters that take out partical matter in line before the Mazuma water filters. Our Provincial Water Agency water smells fine, but often has sediment that these filters seem to handle. I've changed the location of a pump and one sediment filter since I took this photo. In 8 years no staining of any taps, faucets, toilets, urinals at all which I credit the Mazuma whole house water filter.

This week i bought a made in Israel Netafim Arkel 1" filter and valve with rings and mesh to filter well water in my wife's Buriram Village home. I better understood the advantages of the Netafim filter when I spoke English to the Netafim salesman for Isaan. Negita43 might consider a 20" sediment filter for installation prior ot the Mazuma whole house filter if he has sediment in the water supply. I'll post photos of this ring filter once it is installed.

post-20604-0-00784500-1456409487_thumb.j

post-20604-0-96920900-1456409562_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Bumping this thread instead of starting a new one.

I would like suggestions for manufacturer/model of a filter system I can put on the city water line, before the storage tank.  As suggested in related threads I've looked at: Supply-Filter-Tank-Pump-House. 

The source is typical countryside village water from an excavated reservoir - sediment, bits of leaves,  various shades of tea color are common.  The water is still tinted after recent, heavy rain inflows from surrounding fields and dirt klongs filling the reservoir.  I don't think there is much, if any, filtering before it enters the town supply lines.

Don't intend to drink, just normal household use - laundry, showers, flushing, etc. 

Would be looking at Global, but also have a HomePro and others available.  I don't have a budget figure in mind, but don't want to go overboard.  Something in the middle that would work well, easy to maintain/change filters, and result in decent quality for general household use.

Edited by 55Jay

55Jay:  You might shop at Global House or Home pro or Thai Watsadu in your area of Thailand. See how promptly they will come to your home and do a site survey to determine what equipment then can offer to install. They might also offer a water testing service or can give you the name of the person at the local University that you can pay for a comprehensive water test. I recently upgraded the booster pump in my two story home in Buriram Province. The two Mazuma stainless steel water filters were bought in 2005 when I lived in a rental home. In 2008 those 50 liter water filters were moved to a home I had built. The 2000 liter Diamond water tanks have proven dependable. I was tired of painting parts of the concrete pump room floor with ICI Dulux Ultima Weathershiedl Paint. I found that less expensive TOA concrete roof tile paint worked far better as a floor paint than expensive Dulux Ultima Weathershield paint.  The PWA government water goes through two 5 micron sediment filters, then the Mazuma media filtering tanks and into the water storage tanks. For "hotel" pressure in the home which has a few bathrooms, I see many benefits of the booster water pump attached to the diaphragm tank. Since 2007 I have been a satisfied customer of a Buriram water pump shop that has a Thai Chinese owner who has traveled to Home Depot in the United States to gain farang perspective of good customer service. 

Isaan Buriram Whole House Carbon Resin Water Filters.jpg

Buriram Mazuma whole house water filter Isaan.jpg

Negita43 I priced different water filtration shops, large and small in Buriram Isaan before I selected Mr. Pichai and Ruangsangthai Hardware for my water filter installation in 2008. The carbon and resin media in the Masuma 50 liter water filters I have the plumbers come and change every year. The 5 micron sediment water filters I can clean first and then change as well as my wife or a niece at our Buriram retirement home. On Wednesday I spotted the same filter | tank | pump installation team at a fellow expats home. His Buriram village home is a more sensible size and he requested a more moderately priced filter and water tank.  

Thursday Whole House Water Filter System installed in Buriram Village.jpg

Installaing Hitachi pump at Buriram village neighbor  house.jpg

Thanks. Found a small shop recc by my mate in Korat. Also watched a few vids this morning to get an idea. Think i just need pre filtering for sediment then carbon to help remove color and odor. Tank on far left is city water i want to filter. The others are rain only but linked to house pump with valves.

Sent from my GT-I8150 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

1478246352383.jpg.f683adc0f92c1fa2d6291a

• 2 weeks later...

We are on a water line.  Have a pressure problem which is why we invested in a tank and pump.  Water is also dirty.  Looking to buy a whole house filter and originally thought about placing it between the main and tank.  Will that make it much more difficult for the water to go to the tank?

Would consider between the tank and pump as long as it did not affect the pump and pressure to the house.

"My tanks and filter installer suggested to me that most of their fits are filter in between tank and pump"  Could this be due to low water pressure problems?

Advice appreciated.

Edited by Boatman37210

We are on a water line.  Have a pressure problem which is why we invested in a tank and pump.  Water is also dirty.  Looking to buy a whole house filter and originally thought about placing it between the main and tank.  Will that make it much more difficult for the water to go to the tank?

Would consider between the tank and pump as long as it did not affect the pump and pressure to the house.

"My tanks and filter installer suggested to me that most of their fits are filter in between tank and pump"  Could this be due to low water pressure problems?

Advice appreciated.

You would probably be better suited having the filters after your house pump, as the mains pressure is dubious then a filter before the tank on the mains would add considerable restriction to the line which could cause issues
Then add a very high flow rate sand filter/screen in between the tank and house pump to help keep the pump from any damage if the water is that dirty

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I would want to always clean water before I stored water in a stainless steel water tank. The psi in our rural home is just fine due to the water pump we had installed. One inch pipe from the water pump to the home where it reduces to 3/4" and at each outlet it is reduced to  1/2". PVC and poly pipe with 13.5 ratings was easy to find in Buriram. The carbon water filter and resin water filter I had installed were on this truck with one of my Mitsubishi water pumps. 

Plumber parked with water pumps and water filters in farm building Buriram.JPG