Thai Health Ministry to curb road accidents ahead of Songkran Festival

webfact

Shouldn't they be doing their best to cancel sonogram due to the water shortage? Their checkpoints are only good for getting the coppers more drinking money. Road fatalities are still at their highest so their are still too many getting through drunk driving and driving illegally. They should attach an army squad to each checkpoint to ensure everyone gets checked and arrested, need be. Without a chance to get through by paying fined/ collection plates!

Cancel it save water save lives hmm never happen. The over media exposed masses need to blow of steam and have their focus taken off of the ballooning problems here. Wash their problems away so to speak. The government will come up with some catch phrase to backup the need for this frivolous holiday and all will be well. After this fun fest is over the drought problem will still be here the hangovers will be packed up and normalcy will return once again. My how a year passes so swiftly I can still hear the bass booming in my ears from last year.

Edited by elgordo38

I don't understand why it is the The Department of Disease Control (DDC) that is involved with traffic accidentsblink.png next we will be reading that increased risk in dengue fever is being handled by the Department of land transportcrazy.gif this place is getting crazier and crazier

Edited by midas

In the past five years, nearly 2,000 people were killed...during the seven-day festivities, which translates to a daily average of nearly 60 deaths

Depending upon which source of statistics one reads, there are on average between 70 and 80 road deaths each day of the year in Thailand.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Road-death-toll-in-Thailand-among-highest-in-the-w-30202066.html

https://asiancorrespondent.com/2015/03/thailand-road-deaths/

During Songkran there are (apparently) fewer road deaths - 60 per day, according to the OP.

Draw your own conclusions.

I wonder if the WHO know that road fatalities are a disease. Maybe they should try producing a vaccine.

I think you will find they already do treat it as a disease. At least they categories it as an epidemic.

The big players do not talk in individual lives. It's all about money and the cost to the economy of all those 'worker's dying.

They consider anything that is a threat to the health of a nation in the same category.

Especially with the huge amounts of fatalities and life changing injuries associated with road safety.

If you go onto the WHO site it's classified under 'Violence and injury protection' http://www.who.int/violence_injury_prevention/road_traffic/en/

But this is all old news. How long will we continue in circles?

"In Thailand road accidents are considered one of the top three public health problems in the country. Despite the Government’s best efforts, there are sadly over 13 000 deaths and more than one million injuries each year as the result of road accidents, with several hundred thousand people disabled. An overwhelming majority of the deaths and injuries involve motorcyclists, cyclists and pedestrians. The Royal Thai Government regards this problem to be of great urgency and has accorded it high priority in the national agenda. We are also aware of the fact that effective and sustainable prevention of such injuries can only be achieved through concerted multisectoral collaboration. To deal with this crucial problem, the Government has established a Road Safety Operations Centre encompassing the different sectors of the country and comprising the government agencies concerned, nongovernmental organizations and civil society. The Centre has undertaken many injury prevention initiatives, including a “Don’t Drink and Drive” campaign as well as a campaign to encourage motorcyclists to wear safety helmets and to engage in safe driving practices. In this regard, we are well aware that such a campaign must involve not only public relations and education but also stringent law enforcement measures. The problem of road traffi c injuries is indeed a highly serious one, but it is also a problem that can be dealt with and prevented through concerted action among all the parties concerned. Through the leadership and strong commitment of the Government, we are confident that we will be successful in our efforts and we hope that others will be as well."

Thaksin Shinawatra, <former> Prime Minister, Thailand

http://siteresources.worldbank.org/EXTTOPGLOROASAF/Resources/WHO_full_report_en.pdf

Some of the previous posters propose the safest option - abstinence!

But that is a shame and does not address the issue. It also does not fit well with being a motorcycle instructor as by default motorcycles are dangerous.

I have also ridden on songkran and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

If things are to change in Thailand it will be when we move on from the command and control option.

What is needed is better driver and rider education.

thairoadcraft.wordpress.com

I must have missed something but surely road safety is for the police not the Department of Disease Control?

I think you have missed something. The police have been responsible for this for a long time but have been to put it politely less than effective. I think last year the chanting monks were brought in somewhere to ward off evil spirits (and collect a few baht of course). I can't see the Department of Disease Control doing any worse can you?

Would like to say yes but in reality they may do a lot better

Who wrote that headline, Billy Connolly? Its a joke...

Staying off the roads is the only way to stay safe...end of.

Sad to say but I don't think even Billy Connolly or Benny Hill or the Goons or the Monty Python crew (or other comedy writers) could have written that one! coffee1.gif

Anybody ever try to tell a Thai what to do? I think the average Thai hates EVERYONE in their "Government" and would rather die than follow any traffic law or any other law. Good or bad, it is freedom through lawlessness. Good luck changing the culture of the entire country. In a country where the police are the criminals how do you expect the people to behave? The "act out" every chance they get.

Anybody ever try to tell a Thai what to do? I think the average Thai hates EVERYONE in their "Government" and would rather die than follow any traffic law or any other law. Good luck changing the culture of the entire country.