Why Thailand?

Avrock

I've heard many foreigners complaining about how difficult it is to get things done in Thailand & I personally believe that majority of those complaints are true specially issues to do with visas. I myself complain about these things,not excessivley but yes I'll admit that sometimes there are days when I ask this question to myself is it worth it? Having no promising career development no opportunities to grow(teachers) & the worst part is even if I'm married still I'm not legally secured. So why Thailand ? Why not dubai why not eastern Europe or if the cultural aspects or the exotic women or the relatively low cost living is important why not other south east Asian countries? I can understand for the retired guys it makes sense but how about the young people who have their whole life ahead of them with limited resources?

Honest opinions only please no judgements. Let's keep things civil

pretty naive question
should be pretty obvious why thailand is full of single males young and old. have you ever been to bangkok, pattaya or anywhere else in thailand? what did you see there as a major draw?

Family means everything here.

Your position in the family defines who you are.

Without one, you are nobody... farang tao-nahn eng.

I agree but isn't the whole point of relocating to another country specially a country like Thailand is to have a laid back lifestyle?? Almost every other day I come across posts which are so disturbing..majority of those posts are guys having visa & extension issues...Foreigners having thai born kids & still being refused an extension..married guys going through same difficulties as nothing is clear...the thing which I'm trying to figure out for the peace of mind is even though they want us yet they don't want us..a foreigner can't own land in Thailand even to make a house but if that foreigner makes a company then there are ways that he can..i might be the only one but it doesn't make any sense to me..

the thing which I'm trying to figure out for the peace of mind is even though they want us yet they don't want us..a foreigner can't own land in Thailand even to make a house but if that foreigner makes a company then there are ways that he can..i might be the only one but it doesn't make any sense to me..

Pretty standard. Even the USA had (has) a rule that if you invest $X (high 6 figures I think) you'll get a long-stay visa. Australia, UK too I believe. And, of course, Thailand would prefer visitors who shop at Central Embassy rather than Big C so a visa regime skewed that way is understandable.

And it makes sense they don't want to open up their land to foreign buyers as then Thais would be priced out. But there's ways around all of this and you might be making a bigger deal of the visa issue than it deserves.

Why Thailand? Well, if you have to ask then I doubt any amount of explaining will be convincing. Like choosing a partner. Do you go X is 7/10 in intellect, 8/10 empathy, 6/10 humor, ..., for a total of 77/100, while Y is ..., Z is ..., so I will go with ...?

Nah, you fall in love. Most of us who've lived here awhile are in love with the place. Of course, like all old couples there are days we're totally pissed with the object of our

affections and near to blows, but the next we're back at it like rabbits. Also it's allowed in this part of the world to sneak off for a quickie with Singapore or VN or Bali.

the thing which I'm trying to figure out for the peace of mind is even though they want us yet they don't want us..a foreigner can't own land in Thailand even to make a house but if that foreigner makes a company then there are ways that he can..i might be the only one but it doesn't make any sense to me..

Pretty standard. Even the USA had (has) a rule that if you invest $X (high 6 figures I think) you'll get a long-stay visa. Australia, UK too I believe. And, of course, Thailand would prefer visitors who shop at Central Embassy rather than Big C so a visa regime skewed that way is understandable.

And it makes sense they don't want to open up their land to foreign buyers as then Thais would be priced out. But there's ways around all of this and you might be making a bigger deal of the visa issue than it deserves.

Why Thailand? Well, if you have to ask then I doubt any amount of explaining will be convincing. Like choosing a partner. Do you go X is 7/10 in intellect, 8/10 empathy, 6/10 humor, ..., for a total of 77/100, while Y is ..., Z is ..., so I will go with ...?

Nah, you fall in love. Most of us who've lived here awhile are in love with the place. Of course, like all old couples there are days we're totally pissed with the object of our

affections and near to blows, but the next we're back at it like rabbits. Also it's allowed in this part of the world to sneak off for a quickie with Singapore or VN or Bali.

Tip-top post.

Some points profound... some flip... but all good.

I agree but isn't the whole point of relocating to another country specially a country like Thailand is to have a laid back lifestyle?? Almost every other day I come across posts which are so disturbing..majority of those posts are guys having visa & extension issues...Foreigners having thai born kids & still being refused an extension..married guys going through same difficulties as nothing is clear...the thing which I'm trying to figure out for the peace of mind is even though they want us yet they don't want us..a foreigner can't own land in Thailand even to make a house but if that foreigner makes a company then there are ways that he can..i might be the only one but it doesn't make any sense to me..

Completely bogus post. All you see here are the wingers and people that have a true knack for making their own lives difficult. For every story you see here on the issues you raise there are likely hundreds that are doing just fine. But guess what? They don't spend their time on Thai visa complaining how f**ked up Thais and Thailand is.

TH

Completely bogus post. All you see here are the wingers and people that have a true knack for making their own lives difficult. For every story you see here on the issues you raise there are likely hundreds that are doing just fine. But guess what? They don't spend their time on Thai visa complaining how f**ked up Thais and Thailand is.

TH

Once again an ignorant person comes along & takes everything off track... the hundreds might be having a blast but there are many who were victims of the system also..

Even though there are a few reservations of what you said but I agree that a person does fall in love...I lived in bkk then I moved to the north east & I must admit that the people are beautiful there...festive & full of life..

TH

Once again an ignorant person comes along & takes everything off track... the hundreds might be having a blast but there are many who were victims of the system also..

Ignorant? I would suggest you do some research on mean world syndrome and then decide who is being ignorant.

TH

The ONLY reason I stay in Thailand is my Wife works here earning good money, if she didnt Id be outta here in a flash.I dont like the Thai people much id say 1 in 10 is decent the rest are pretty awful, I do like the fact I can grow almost anything as I like plants but really thats it.

Thailand needs a real good kick up the ^rse in my opinion

I came to Thailand to get an old-fashioned wife. Is that unusual?

On another note, Thailand missed Women's Liberation, and it shows..

Not that there's anything wrong with that..

It's not unusual at all.. I'm in my late 20's still I prefer an old fashioned"LADY". I can't speak for anyone else but my lady takes great care of me & I reciprocate in the same manner.. there was one time this issue of not allowing my dog inside but it was sorted out.. my reason of staying in Thailand is that I have her..

People like to complain. The truth is, all the negs who run down Thailand are still here!!

The ONLY reason I stay in Thailand is my Wife works here earning good money, if she didnt Id be outta here in a flash.I dont like the Thai people much id say 1 in 10 is decent the rest are pretty awful, I do like the fact I can grow almost anything as I like plants but really thats it.

That you don't like Thailand and the Thai people is obvious from the miserable tone of your posts.

did you come to be wanted and accepted? i sure did not. i'm here primarily due to recreational activities and low cost of living.

i could give a hoot about thai family unit standing and being wanted and accepted as long as it does not make it difficult to live here.

I suppose being able to chronicle the pitfalls of Thailand makes one appear more knowledgeable in the eyes of some but I don’t see the point. I don’t have a problem with people living, or even dying, as they choose.

Some of us have survived, even flourished in Thailand, without all this modern angst and online handwringing. If some people feel the need to meddle in the lives of others, fine, but I for one would be suspicious of their motives.
My perspective spans from young to old, having lived here my entire adult life. For me Thailand has been a great place to live for all these years and I am sure others enjoy their life here as well. I marvel at the ability of some to make life in Thailand difficult.

That you don't like Thailand and the Thai people is obvious from the miserable tone of your posts.

u have trouble reading? 1-10 are ok for me, "Im not gonna jump on the all Thai people are wonderful" bandwagon. this is how "I" see it....so what!.

Visas are not that big a deal here. Try getting one in Europe or some other place that doesn't have a revolving door policy. As far as teaching goes, there's plenty of room to grow if you're serious about the profession. It can also be fairly lucrative (relative to the cost of living) compared to other places in the world, even if you don't have spectacular qualifications. Other SE Asian countries have interested me, but I've always feared they'd be too primitive for me in a variety of ways.

TH

If you are retired, it is a fine place to be. If you are entrepreneurial, a contract worker not so much. Neighboring countries offer more and you can access Thailand from their.

To be hones after more than 12 years I would like to go somewhere else.

Main reasons:

- Affordable and decent education for our 2 kids, we pay now about 100,000 Baht per year each at a private bi-lingual school, it's not good and getting worse

- I'm getting annoyed by the caste society and the spastic social behavior that it brings with it in so many aspects of daily life

- Increasing disrespect for foreigners

- Enormous increase of crime

- Political and economical developments

Visas are/were more of a headache back home trying to get her to visit

Why Thailand? I fell in love as much with her home town as with her, exactly the right part of the world

I only joined this site recently, I dont know what a lot of guys are on about. As someone else already said in this thread, some people just have a talent for attracting problems

I see it this way, you are in a third world country

yet you want it to function like Westminster

or

next time you are at the zoo, walk past any

animal enclosure, jump in and say,

''well i'm here, where's my room''

you will cop the same reaction

I personally believe that majority of those complaints are true specially issues to do with visas.

If you qualify for, for example, a marriage or retirement extension of stay, you don't need to worry about visas.

If you don't qualify for some form of long-term stay immigration status, then you are attempting to game the fairly liberal system by using tourist visas, ed visas or visa exempt entries. The difficulty such people experience is not the fault of immigrations, but rather a case of people trying to sneak in using the back door.

Many people choose to live here because, generally, life here is cheaper than it is, for example, in the US and less dreary than in places like the UK. While it can be cheaper here, scraping by with the absolute minimum income, even less than the easy extension requirements of Baht 65,000 per month for a retirement extension or Baht 40,000 per month for a marriage extension, means that you are essentially an economic refugee like those flooding into Europe from N. Africa or crossing into the US across the Mexican border.

Economic refugees, regardless of their race/skin color tend to be desperate and unhappy. Rather than accepting responsibility for their circumstances, they blame the host nation for not welcoming them with open arms. If you can afford life in Thailand, things can be quite nice. If you can't afford a minimal lifestyle in Thailand then you should probably stay at home and exploit the welfare system there.

Edited by Suradit69

To be hones after more than 12 years I would like to go somewhere else.

Main reasons:

- Affordable and decent education for our 2 kids, we pay now about 100,000 Baht per year each at a private bi-lingual school, it's not good and getting worse

- I'm getting annoyed by the caste society and the spastic social behavior that it brings with it in so many aspects of daily life

- Increasing disrespect for foreigners

- Enormous increase of crime

- Political and economical developments

You nailed it. Seriously. Disrespect of foreigners is in fact making me sick by the days. I am here because I don't have another choice and my gf is very kind and takes good care of me. Some people may like this place because they have never gone to another or other countries. One teaches students who don't have the least zeal to learn. One works with people who change like chameleons. Today your colleague smiles with you, the next day it is a different thing. It is very disheartening staying here for me.