Good pre-roasted chicken / portions (take away)?

SooKee

Bit bizarre for a topic I guess but I'm eating lots of salads these days and tuna gets a bit tiresome after a while. Anyone come across anywhere that sells good quality roast chicken in portions or whole? Just looking to shortcut the trial and error as much as possible. In Penang and Phuket I had a couple of great places, fresh roast, moist and plenty of meat with a good taste and nicely seasoned vs most supermarket stuff I encountered which was dry and tasteless.

Yes I know I can roast myself and blah blah blah but not interested in that route, unless that is, there is nowhere to try for a good and regular supply. There's loads of the chicken rice shops around, found one before, alas shut down already :( I'll try a few more as time goes on but sometimes their opening hours and supply can be a bit errati and the chicken a bit scabby. Not even looked at the supermarkets yet as my chicken rice store was fine up until two weeks ago. Tried a few others since but, hmmmmm. Not so good.

SooKee

I get whole roasted chickens at the Big C on the superhighway just down the road from Central Festival Mall. They cook them fresh every morning. Try to get there by noon or so because the do sell out occassionally.

I pick up a couple of them, debone them, and keep them sealed in the refrigerator. The meat keeps for a week with no problem.

If I remember correctly, the whole chicken is 118 baht but I could be mistaken.

David

Great thanks. I'll take a look over at Mae Hia, closer for me, fingers crossed they do it. If not the Super Highway branch isn't too far out. Glad Big C is good. One Big C in Phuket was great, the others, crap, like REALLY crap. Was never sure just what they did to them in the other places, maybe their supply was inferior too.

Most of the Five Star chicken stands around town have good BBQ chicken. Some just have fried chicken -- not so good, but most have the BBQ version. If you tell us where you live, someone can tell you where the closest Five Star chicken stand is located.

post-68373-0-95676100-1456378044_thumb.j

The one shown here is offering "gai thoot" or fried chicken, but the ones that have "gai yaang" or BBQ chicken, look much the same. I think the gai yaang stand is to the right of the one shown.

In the parking lot of Makro on the Chiang Mai-Hang Dong Road had stands that sell chicken. Not sure now because it has been a while since I bought some there.

Also, at the Big C at the intersection of Chiang Mai-Hang Dong Road and the Middle Ring Road has a market in the parking lot on certain days. Lots of chicken and other things then.

The Mae Hia market on the Canal Road also has chicken.

While Chiang Mai-Hang Dong Road in these descriptions, lots of little stands along the road. One is near the 7-11 near the Ban Wang Tan turn off.

Most of the Five Star chicken stands around town have good BBQ chicken. Some just have fried chicken -- not so good, but most have the BBQ version. If you tell us where you live, someone can tell you where the closest Five Star chicken stand is located.

attachicon.gifFive Star Chicken.JPG

The one shown here is offering "gai thoot" or fried chicken, but the ones that have "gai yaang" or BBQ chicken, look much the same. I think the gai yaang stand is to the right of the one shown.

Thanks. Will look out for them. As per the above post, I'm near to Mae Hia. No need for the 'karaoke Thai' though 555, I can speak, read and write Thai and the karaoke (IMO the worst possible way to learn or teach Thai), with its multiple different styles, not to mention the different ways different nationalities pronounce English / karaoke Thai - <Thai language removed> to me for instance would be 'gai tawt', toot would be pronounced same as the oot in 'hoot') just sucks. Spit or oven roast chicken is what I'm after.

@hml367. Cheers. Close to me too smile.png

Edited by metisdead

Thanks. Will look out for them. As per the above post, I'm near to Mae Hia. No need for the 'karaoke Thai' though 555, I can speak, read and write Thai and the karaoke (IMO the worst possible way to learn or teach Thai), with its multiple different styles, not to mention the different ways different nationalities pronounce English / karaoke Thai - <Thai language removed> to me for instance would be 'gai tawt', toot would be pronounced same as the oot in 'hoot') just sucks. Spit or oven roast chicken is what I'm after.

I was just too lazy to switch over to the Thai keyboard to write out <Thai language removed>. And since you asked for pre-roasted chicken, I figured you didn't know the Thai name for the stuff. Absolutely delish and, you're right, a good low-calorie addition to a salad or other stuff. In fact for dinner tonight, I'm using a vegetarian lasagna from Duke's, adding pieces of <Thai language removed> from <Thai language removed> and some extra spinach. That's enough to turn one serving of Duke's vegetarian lasagna into an entree for two and keep the calories under control.

Edited by metisdead

Thanks. Will look out for them. As per the above post, I'm near to Mae Hia. No need for the 'karaoke Thai' though 555, I can speak, read and write Thai and the karaoke (IMO the worst possible way to learn or teach Thai), with its multiple different styles, not to mention the different ways different nationalities pronounce English / karaoke Thai -<Thai language removed> to me for instance would be 'gai tawt', toot would be pronounced same as the oot in 'hoot') just sucks. Spit or oven roast chicken is what I'm after.

I was just too lazy to switch over to the Thai keyboard to write out ไก่ย่าง. And since you asked for pre-roasted chicken, I figured you didn't know the Thai name for the stuff. Absolutely delish and, you're right, a good low-calorie addition to a salad or other stuff. In fact for dinner tonight, I'm using a vegetarian lasagna from Duke's, adding pieces of<Thai language removed> from <Thai language removed> and some extra spinach. That's enough to turn one serving of Duke's vegetarian lasagna into an entree for two and keep the calories under control.

Well, I called it roast (as opposed to fried) chicken as I was posting in English, so an English language response was actually all that was needed. In England bbq chicken it's also entirely different, being cooked on a barbeque, whereas oven or spit roast is what I'm after.

Odd logic trail that assumes that I wouldn't know the term for it in Thai simply on the basis of posting in English and seeing as Thai terminology wasn't ever the theme of the post??? Bizarre. Anyway, whatever. Logic / language assumption aside, thanks for the thoughts. Not sure I could do veg lasagne though. Think I'd rather salad it for a couple extra days then do the real thing.

@just Elaine. Thanks. Will give that a look. What I do need is somewhere that's open almost daily at regular hours and shifts enough of the stuff so that whenever I get close to running out I don't need to think if it's open or not. So with markets it'd depend on whether it's daily or not

Edited by metisdead

I am pretty sure that there is a rotisserie chicken cart at the Maehia market. It is at the front part of the market not too far from the som tam place. I haven't tried it though. At that market, I usually get sai oua and nam prik.

Correct, best we've found, tasty and very hygienic. If one parks on Canal Road frontage the chicken lady is just inside front of market. She often sells out early, especially the pepper marinade and if nil stock, grab some tasty CM sausage from the man to her south, closer BKK Bank as it is undoubtedly the best you'll get anywhere and re-heats easy.

We are very lucky out Mae Rim as we have a rotisserie guy very close by in Mae Ram. Best Ive had in the region and certainly bettet than 5 star....which incidently Ive found to be dropping in quality lately, plus it doesnt keep well in the fridge.

Weird that. 24 hrs and even my dogs wont touch it.

There is a 5-Star vendor on Santithem Rd who puts out some very tasty chicken. I usually ask him at what time the next batch will be finished, and come back as he's taking it off the rotisserie. Fresh and juicy, delicious... couldn't ask for better. I don't much care for the deep fried stuff unless it too has just come out of the oil, but other than the dumpling things he sells, I enjoy his foods.

We are very lucky out Mae Rim as we have a rotisserie guy very close by in Mae Ram. Best Ive had in the region and certainly bettet than 5 star....which incidently Ive found to be dropping in quality lately, plus it doesnt keep well in the fridge.

Where is that guy? in front of, next to, across from ??? Thanks.

Thanks. I'll try the Mae Hia market. Sounds just the job!! Great if it's good quality and fresh and will survive the fridge a few days. Just to be sure I've got the RIGHT market (as there seems to be several about) it's the market between Samakhi School and 700 Years Road right?

I've been to Big C dozens of times but for the life of me can't recall whether it does rotisserie chicken. Never been looking for it before but can't say I've ever seen it there. Maybe it's just the one on the Super Highway that does it.

Edited by SooKee

My cats won't eat many things like chicken and pla too that has been refrigerated for more than about 24 hours. Never understood it either.

Where is that guy? in front of, next to, across from ??? Thanks.

[/quote

Its past the X Centre quite a way. And just around the corner from the Mae Ram municipal office/headquarters. On the right is the area where they sometimes have a market. But this place is on the left. You can see the rotiserrie from the road as its all stainless steel.

If you get to the petrol station at the bottom of the dip then you have gone too far.

Oh and they do a damn good somtam (Papayay salad) too. I always ask for it without the smelly crab....thats more my missus taste. 555

This is what you need in Thailand. But you cheapskates won't pay!!!attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1456401068.421281.jpg

That is funny, was just thinking about all those past posts by "Mr.Chow" and his decision to deprive us of his theoretical best chicken ever based on TVF responses, he seemed to be such a rude and creepy dude based on his posts I had decided to skip his chicken even if it were good... but alas he seems to have chickened out... glad to see he still got the insults... by the way the photo does not look like anything special... it is just chicken afterall.

SooKee

I get whole roasted chickens at the Big C on the superhighway just down the road from Central Festival Mall. They cook them fresh every morning. Try to get there by noon or so because the do sell out occassionally.

I pick up a couple of them, debone them, and keep them sealed in the refrigerator. The meat keeps for a week with no problem.

If I remember correctly, the whole chicken is 118 baht but I could be mistaken.

David

After reading your reply, I told my wife to buy one; and they are very good.

Tender, juicy and so much meat (for 118 Baht).

The wife complain; the chicken is to salty, but it's perfect for me.

Might have a look out there tomorrow. Looked at Big C Mae Hia today and have to say they looked a bit scabby there. I went really late in the day though as I was busy earlier and just thought I'd look on the off chance. Didn't look very appetising at all.

Might have a look out there tomorrow. Looked at Big C Mae Hia today and have to say they looked a bit scabby there. I went really late in the day though as I was busy earlier and just thought I'd look on the off chance. Didn't look very appetising at all.

BigC Mae Hia is scabby at best of times ... hopeless store/management. Can only hope the Chang buyout will see some radical changes in due course.

For those who live near the Old City, there is excellent grilled chicken on Nimman soi 11, next to Dayli. The large grill is at the front of the restaurant facing the street.

It's only open from 9:00 am to around noon or so (every day, I think) and sells whole grilled chickens, grilled wings on a stick, and grilled chicken breast meat, along with various side dishes.

Whole chickens are 150 thb. This morning I purchased three breast meat portions, wings on a stick, and one order of som tam - 100 thb.

Eat there or take away (they do a lot of take away). Owners are originally from Phetchabun.