Rate my upcoming trip plan

Phatbeets

Arrive in bkk on the 8. Of April. Relax a couple of days in that city I luv so much.

On the 12. take the train to Si Sa Ket (issan) (we have our ticket already). Wife always look forward to be home for that period.

Stay there until the 16. Than EITHER go to Ubon and from there to the Cambodian border and from there take a look at PP
than transit via Sihanoukville to Koh Rong and stay there a good week.

OR check out Khon kaen, from there to Nong Khai (I’m assuming we should be able to find a bus to get us there) probably staying 2-3 days in Nong Khai
than again either quickly Vientiane and from there 4-5 days in Luang Prabang or staying in north Thailand though I currently don’t have any good idea
what to visit that did not see.

I think I will take the latest incl. Luang Prabang. Than flying back to bkk in order to save some time/hustle.

Than again 2 days in bkk and than taking a bus to Ranong and from there a good week on koh phayam.
If we still have enough time visit some friends on Koh Phangan (I’m assuming this must be easily feasible in a day - what target city/pier would you recommend
that is available by bus from Ranong?)

Than on the way back fade away in Bangkok.

You are looking at about a 4 hour drive to the ferry to KPN. There is no direct bus, so you'll have to go to Surat Thani and transfer from there. Probably about a 5 hour trip. Then a few hours or more to KPN depending on if you catch a ferry immediately or were unlucky and arrived just as one was departing! LOL

Thx I also had Ranong to Surat Thani in mind instead of heading to chumphon. On the map it doesnt look like a big distance but 5h seems realistic. That should work

if we get the first ferry out of koh phayam.

I've not been in a few years, but some like PP, some don't. I didn't. Same with Snooky. Been reports of quite a bit of crime there. Heard the islands off Snooky are quite nice. Hope to visit one day.

Yeah I saw that thread on TV but 1. Its a bit dated (from 2013) tho and I dunno the how the situation has evolved.
2. I believe we are experienced travelers and know how to behave e.g. I can not imagine that Sihanoukville is worse than manila or cebu city

3. one person is always reporting this and other are reporting that which at end is the pure opposite so the best is always to assess by yourself imo

and finally we are not looking to explore that city its just a gateway to Koh rong island which indeed looks amazing for 2016.

But than again like I said in the OP I might rather take the Laotian road instead of that in order to add some diversity because

island life with koh phayam is definitely planned. (another Island I absolutely want to see now instead of in 5 years.)

But I'm curious to hear about experience of other peeps.

Snooky is completely different than Manila or Cebu. I've got friends living in PP right now and others who commute. They commute because they don't want to live there! LOL Most who really like PP are there because of the lower costs and easier visas versus here. If you do go, you really should see Angkor Wat. It's amazing.

I've not been to LP in some time, but really liked it there on my last visit. Getting more crowded now, but that's true all over Asia. Vang Vieng is a great place to stop midway. Get a room right on the river with views of the mountains. Fantastic.

Vientiane has some sights and some things to do, same with Khon Kaen. Depends on what you are looking to do...That time of year is going to be HOT! As you well know.

Nice

You think LP will still be crowded mid April?

Vang Vieng yeah obviously that must be nice if you find the right spot to stay at

away from the teens who watch "friends" 24/7 on repeat and fail to realize that this is a 20 year late pass.

Any bungalow recommendation?

Same for Khon Kaen anything I should not miss?

Gracias

If you are there around the water festival, then yes, it will be packed. I don't know the dates for that....sorry!

In VV, we stayed out of town a bit, but right on the river. Beautiful. The float down the river was great fun.

For Khon Kaen, I'd do a separate post in the Issan forum. Might get more replies there.

Vang Vieng has kind of cleaned up in the last 5 years. More restrictions on the booze-tubing and all day party atmosphere and far fewer resident stoners. Many of the GH's have upgraded their facilities and comfort levels. It really is such a beautiful area it is worth consideration. LP is a tourist town and even April will have it's share but it is a lovely city to walk around and some of the river trips to the caves and waterfall are a great way to spend a day.

I've written several times on this forum about how spectacular the scenery is on the bus trip from Vientiane to V.V. then to LP It's 10+ hours all the way and while the bus isn't the best in the world, not the worst either.

Archived