Strange bird, anyone know what it is?

Arwon

^Where's your garden Martin?

I've only ever seen one hoopoe, at the Dusit Thani Hua Hin stables.

Phon, far south of Khon Kaen province.

I've seen them around this time of year for the last 7 years since arriving in Thailand, usually singly but sometimes in groups of 3 or 4, foraging on what passes for our lawn.

First time I saw one, I knew exactly what it was and it was fantastic - to see one in UK would have been very unusual and I'd never done so in my whole life there.

Only ever had the camera handy for one photo with the bird sitting on the wall a few yards from our back door.

post-101232-0-91949900-1456637082_thumb.

Edited by MartinL

They're common in Buriram all year round. At this time of year they're nesting. I hear their distinctive call every day.... hoo..hoo, two, three or four notes.

I haven't seen them for a bit but I can hear them, mostly in the morning I think.

It must be a Wolpertinger. It seems that some barbarian Bavarian imported them a while ago and they have reproduced.

Be careful when you see one, they are extremely dangerous.

it's not a Wolpertinger but a Wiedehopf. quite rare bird nowadays in Germany.

They are even over here in Pattaya... I see them at the Asia Pattaya 9 hole golf course every year.

Also more tame than the one's in Isaan. They peck around your feet and ignore most humans. Maybe they know there is less chance of being BBQ'd here.....

I have also seen them out in the country side in the Chonburi area.

They're common in Buriram all year round. At this time of year they're nesting. I hear their distinctive call every day.... hoo..hoo, two, three or four notes.

I haven't seen them for a bit but I can hear them, mostly in the morning I think.

I think you guys might be mistaking that bird call for the brown and black "turkey bird", thats the one that makes the distinctive hoo-hoo, hoo-hoo. (IMO, no offense intended).

i was tootling around in the airbase at prachuap and it was pointed out to me by the wife , she didn't know what kind of bird but i googled it and it one of them things above.

really strange looking bird and i found it odd that she didn't want to eat it !

i was tootling around in the airbase at prachuap and it was pointed out to me by the wife , she didn't know what kind of bird but i googled it and it one of them things above.

really strange looking bird and i found it odd that she didn't want to eat it !

My friend spent a whole summer calling a rare bird to his garden every morning.It never showed up but called back most days with a lovely whistling.He went to a local bird club meeting and told the members about it. A local man agreed the bird was there as he had been whistling to it most days.......

I think you guys might be mistaking that bird call for the brown and black "turkey bird", thats the one that makes the distinctive hoo-hoo, hoo-hoo. (IMO, no offense intended).

No, I have seen it but not recently. Still around for sure.

Guessed it would be a Hoopoe from the title. Seems to be very localised. I once drove a dirt road to get across country to an Isaan farmers meeting (hope you are well and thriving Isaan(now,not)Aussie and there were tens of them all along a stretch of that road. Have never seen them since. Consistent with a short migration window, I guess.

Fabulous creature - commonplace in India.

By brown and black "turkey bird" I am guessing you mean Greater Coucal. The Hoopoe and the Greater Coucal are both resident to Thailand and pretty common througout most of the country. The calls are quite different (IB knows the difference). You can listen to both on youtube or one of the better bird call sites. I saw them nearly ever day when I lived in Surin and I see them almost as often in Chonburi. Same goes for the Coucal.

• 2 weeks later...

Where I live they were becoming more common. Some people night trap netted for birds and caught whatever they wanted, perhaps song birds but, they left two beautiful owls, 3 Hoopoe and a number of smaller birds to die in the net.

From what I understand, and have seen here ( i live on the outskirts of small town south of KK ) the birds return to the same place each year to have young and I believe with the same partner ( mating for life ). I have read that they are 'resident' species in Thailand, but where i live disappear for months then return - perhaps shortage of food ?

Have also seen in Saudi Arabia desert areas north of Jeddah when I was working there.

Hoopoes are certainly here all the year round. From December to March is the breeding season; they nest in holes in trees, or even in earthen banks.

I have had two broods in the same hole one year (following an unsuccessful Spotted Owlet!). Research on the same species in Switzerland has shown that in double broods, very often the second brood is from one of the original pair plus a new partner.

But it is true that they often use the same hole for several years running... I have one which has been going for five years so far.

One very nice sighting was of ten hoopoes in a bare tree (like the Twelve Days of Christmas!), presumably birds from this very nest.

It is a Hoopoe (Upupa epops). I see a pair most mornings in my garden. sometimes as many as 5 digging underground for their prey. As they leave an area the Fantails arrive.