No More Thai Price for Foreign Workers in Thailand?

eldragon

I used to live near the Khao Yai park. It's a very boring place. There is nothing to see.

The only good thing about this area is the weather and the best way to enjoy it is to stay in one of the numerous guest houses that are located around the country park, to rent a bicycle and explore the rural areas and countryside OUTSIDE of the country park. And it's free of charge !

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

" the cashier refused to give me the Thai rate despite having a work permit. "

Are you Thai ? Because having a work permit one would presume you are not, ergo, you should not pay the Thai national price.

Maybe you're new around here. In the past, having a work permit has entitled one to the Thai rate, although it had always been a little inconsistent with regards to which parks and attractions abided by it.

There was an announcement made a long while back to this effect, yes it applies to all national parks. It seems like khao Yai seem to be good enough to post this on their website, other places will leave you to argue at the gate with the same smile and sorry as response.

If this is indeed true, then problem solved. I don't need to argue with cashiers or feel ripped off anymore.

Tourists and foreigners don't pay more. Locals get a discount. Simple as that. :)

I am a local and married to a Thai. Also a foreigner, but here legally by marriage which indeed makes me a local (for at least a year at a time per my non o visa) . I don't get the discount.

You are simply mistaken.......

I am also a local (foreigner) married to a Thai, but it doesn't make me a true local. I think the operative word is (foreigner). I stand by the statement, Thai people/locals get a discount at their own attractions. I don't get the fuss over a few dollars.

This 2 level pricing system is endemic of a greater problem hear in Thailand for foreigners . The Thais do not want you here Or should I say the Government does not want you here.

I am moving to Panama next year You ask why . I want to live in a area that appreciate people and are not xenophobic .

Can you imagine if Government run attractions in the USA charged more for Thais to go There would be a cry, holler and protest from the Thai government I am sure of it .

Why not charge All Asians $50.00 to go to the Grand Canyon but only Charge Americans $5.00 Good idea Right? Wrong

They would claim discrimination and it is morally wrong You have your answer .

There are a lot of tourist coming now But once they see how Thailand treats them they will not come back They will look to other places that truly welcome foreigners on vacation

The greater problem is Thais thinking they can charge us more for the same product based on the presumption that we on average have more money than locals. Which I would say is not definitely the case with national parks, monuments, etc. I mean, who knows what their logic is really? "You don't pay taxes in Thailand." "You're not a Thai citizen." "You weren't born in Thailand." Whatever. I really don't care. I don't try to understand Thai logic. It certainly doesn't affect my decision to enjoy or not enjoy these places a couple times a year. And I seriously doubt the number of expats and tourists who have been turned off by these policies has made an impact on revenues. The only thing that bothers me is the inconsistency. And when the private sector gets in on the game.

Not racism.....just them versus us lot..................

We took the train from Pattaya to Bangkok last week

Cost me 31 baht as an alien and the Thai wife got for free.

We both had sore aerses after the 4 hour journey.

Bad luck mate,last time i took a bus in Bangkok i went to pay and the conductor said it was free.I didn't even know about it.

Not racism.....just them versus us lot..................

We took the train from Pattaya to Bangkok last week

Cost me 31 baht as an alien and the Thai wife got for free.

We both had sore aerses after the 4 hour journey.

Your wife got free as you choose to travel 3rd class.

3rd class is free for Thais , it is there for the poor and those in need.

Your wife would have had to pay if you would of upgraded to first or second with normal seats.

31 baht for a 4 hour train journey and you are moaning.

You deserve your sore arse

I recently went to Khao Yai. My American friend (white) got charged 400b (10x the Thai rate) for entry but I, who was driving the van, got charged the Thai rate because I did not open my mouth 555. It's unfair but I found it a little amusing to be honest. =D

Edited by CoreanoOzzie

This 2 level pricing system is endemic of a greater problem hear in Thailand for foreigners . The Thais do not want you here Or should I say the Government does not want you here.

I am moving to Panama next year You ask why . I want to live in a area that appreciate people and are not xenophobic .

Can you imagine if Government run attractions in the USA charged more for Thais to go There would be a cry, holler and protest from the Thai government I am sure of it .

Why not charge All Asians $50.00 to go to the Grand Canyon but only Charge Americans $5.00 Good idea Right? Wrong

There are a lot of tourist coming now But once they see how Thailand treats them they will not come back They will look to other places that truly welcome foreigners on vacation

The greater problem is Thais thinking they can charge us more for the same product based on the presumption that we on average have more money than locals. Which I would say is not definitely the case with national parks, monuments, etc. I mean, who knows what their logic is really? "You don't pay taxes in Thailand." "You're not a Thai citizen." "You weren't born in Thailand." Whatever. I really don't care. I don't try to understand Thai logic. It certainly doesn't affect my decision to enjoy or not enjoy these places a couple times a year. And I seriously doubt the number of expats and tourists who have been turned off by these policies has made an impact on revenues. The only thing that bothers me is the inconsistency. And when the private sector gets in on the game.

Agreed, the inconsistency is the worst part, if you very rarely squeeze in for Thai price then it's ok. If you challenge the rules you are viewed as a trouble maker, tight pocketed, hot headed, etc.

There's always the inevitable disappointment from the wife pleading with you not to enter into the argument - or the prior discussion regarding wether to even visit at all.

I hate the whole process and I hate the lengths we go to avoid paying, maybe it's hiding behind a tinted visor, sending the wife to pay for a ticket or just simply refusing to enter. It's not conducive to an enjoyable day.

I choose to hunt out the state parks or forestry commission parks, ( I don't know, the Rangers wear some woodland camo uniform ) they are always free and just as well serviced, if not better. The staff always seem keen to sit and chat, all-round it's a better time.

Yes it's racist, so? Almost every country is racist to some degree in some ways, even though they may have reams of ant-discrimination laws on the books, America being one. At least Thailand doesn't screw around with pretense, it says, there's Thai people and then there's a the rest, it doesn't specify one race or nationality as being particularly inferior, instead it says Thai's in Thailand are slightly better than everyone else hence they get a discount and nobody else does.

Yes, at least farangs do not get bashed, spat at or verbally abused by Thais here.

If i was told "you weren't born in Thailand" as long as i had a quick escape plan, i have a very good response to that.

If i was told "you weren't born in Thailand" as long as i had a quick escape plan, i have a very good response to that.

Do tell.

Do tell.

Head of the Royal family

Yes it's racist, so? Almost every country is racist to some degree in some ways, even though they may have reams of ant-discrimination laws on the books, America being one. At least Thailand doesn't screw around with pretense, it says, there's Thai people and then there's a the rest, it doesn't specify one race or nationality as being particularly inferior, instead it says Thai's in Thailand are slightly better than everyone else hence they get a discount and nobody else does.

Yes, at least farangs do not get bashed, spat at or verbally abused by Thais here.

As long as you can go shopping around the whole goddamn planet looking for somewhere where it's worse than in Thailand you'll probably succeed.

It does not legitimate "discounts" based on race. If you think it does, it is YOU who is racist. YOU, for justifying racism.

I'm pretty sick of the US being dragged into everything as well, with someone saying "it's worse there." This is ILLEGAL in the US, since you want to make a comparison,

Really, I think that you would justify anything as long as it was a Thai anything.

As long as you can go shopping around the whole goddamn planet looking for somewhere where it's worse than in Thailand you'll probably succeed.

It does not legitimate "discounts" based on race. If you think it does, it is YOU who is racist. YOU, for justifying racism.

I'm pretty sick of the US being dragged into everything as well, with someone saying "it's worse there." This is ILLEGAL in the US, since you want to make a comparison,

Really, I think that you would justify anything as long as it was a Thai anything.

This discrimination/racism thing: it's a Western concept you know, not an Eastern one and doesn't mean it has to be a global thing and doesn't mean it has to be right or even a standard. Just because it's illegal in the US, doesn't mean squat really, after all, jaywalking is also illegal there!

Edited by chiang mai

What are you on about?

Why shouldn't foreigners pay more, our salaries/pensions are way in excess in what a Thai person could ever hope to earn, you come to Thailand wether on holiday or to live here you abide by their rules if not go some where else. There admission prices are not excessive either compared to elsewhere.

What a load of crap. I see roomuck has liked your post.

The Thai Government do this "Double pricing" then business see this & think they can also do it.

Its out of control.

If they wont give me the Thai price then I just walk out.

This discrimination/racism thing: it's a Western concept you know, not an Eastern one and doesn't mean it has to be a global thing and doesn't mean it has to be right or even a standard. Just because it's illegal in the US, doesn't mean squat really, after all, jaywalking is also illegal there!

So you are a moral relativist? Racism or bigotry is acceptable as long as the culture practicing it thinks it is OK? Absolutely disgusting......... Edited by inbangkok

The Thai Government do this "Double pricing" then business see this & think they can also do it.

Its out of control.

And I doubt anyone cares.

I agree. That is because the vast majority of them are so economically ignorant that they don't seem to understand that 1 baht is worth the same from both Thais and foreigners.

Its out of control.

And I doubt anyone cares.

I agree. That is because the vast majority of them are so economically ignorant that they don't seem to understand that 1 baht is worth the same from both Thais and foreigners.

I was actually referring to Jessi walking out. =)

This dual pricing for federal park lands may now be a violation of ASEAN treaty for nonThai ASEAN citizens. Just a matter of time before a diplomatic complaint is made by CLVM.

Says who?

Also, if you've been to CLVM (Cambodia-Laos-Vietnam-Myanmar) you would have realized that ALL of these countries also practice dual pricing to various extents. Of these 4, Vietnam no longer applies dual pricing for the most part, with the exception of about 2 tourist attractions in central Vietnam (that I'm aware of).

So what do you think Myanmar would say to Thai tourists who've been asked to pay 8000 Kyat to enter Shwedagon, when according to your interpretation of the "ASEAN treaty" (which part of the treaty mentions what you claim, I think you're making this up) they have been "violated" by paying the "foreigner" fee when they should have been able to enter for free? Would the Thai ambassador make a complaint on their behalf, knowing full well that Thailand also practices this?

How about hotels? Yes, in Myanmar many hotels have dual pricing. Same goes for some train fares and some domestic airfares even.

In Cambodia, foreigners have to pay to enter Angkor Wat. I have a Cambodian speaking, bilingual Thai-Khmer friend (of Thai nationality only) who goes to Cambodia every other week. She just went to Angkor Wat and paid the foreigner price $20 day pass, which she claimed was "well worth it". No idea if she knew that Khmers can apparently enter for free, but she certainly had to pay.

So you are a moral relativist? Racism or bigotry is acceptable as long as the culture practicing it thinks it is OK? Absolutely disgusting.........

He's right in the sense that discrimination/racism and cultural Marxism in general IS a western/Jewish thing. It's NOT an eastern one, though globalization is forcing attitudes to change. However, until large numbers of non-locals start settling in Thailand and demanding the same rights as citizens (that is, if the government were to allow it) it is unlikely there will be much of a change.

Of course, discrimination on the basis of race should NOT be acceptable anywhere. However, clearly the Thai attitude towards dual pricing is very different to the way it would be seen in the west.

Why shouldn't foreigners pay more, our salaries/pensions are way in excess in what a Thai person could ever hope to earn, you come to Thailand wether on holiday or to live here you abide by their rules if not go some where else. There admission prices are not excessive either compared to elsewhere.

You sound like some pseudo, new age communist. People should pay based on their income and savings? What world do you live in? 100 baht from a rich person is worth the same as 100 baht from a poor person.

LOL.

I would like to add that it's NOT true that Thai admission prices are not excessive compared to elsewhere.

Let me see here: most national parks in Australia charge no admission fee, are much more well kept (cleaner), bigger and interesting than Thai ones. You will also see fewer visitors and actually get to experience nature, rather than the pseudo nature experience most Thai national parks seem to offer.

Many tourist attractions in other countries are also cheaper than their Thai equivalents, especially if you've got a discount voucher, are a student, senior/pensioner etc. Thai tourist attractions rarely offer discounts for anyone except children. They have yet to recognize seniors are deserving of discounts too.

Simple answer, boycott all of them then watch them cry no money.

You have an over inflated opinion of the worth of your tourist dollar, too funny really. Boycott to your hearts content, fill your boots, it wont make any difference whatsoever plus you'll get laughed at for being so silly for making such a fuss.

Depends. Now there's this fuss about Chinese tourists able to drive their own cars to Thailand quite freely, whereas Thai tourists wanting to drive to China have to pay through the nose for the privilege. Due to increasing numbers of accidents, traffic congestion and social media pressure, many Thais have started to make a fuss because the way they see it, these tourists are not contributing enough to the Thai economy. The ones driving motorhomes in particular are being accused of getting a free ride as they often just park for free in petrol stations/wats etc. boiling their own noodles, only purchasing petrol/gas and that's about it.

Now the pressure has forced the government to come up with new regulations for these vehicles which will include a higher entry fee and a need to give advance notice before entering the country.

So yes I think IF enough visitors boycotted a place due to being charged more, then it may have an impact (albeit only at the more touristy attractions). My example above was the opposite - enough foreigners (Chinese in this case) exploited a loophole and drove their cars in virtually for free and now that loophole may soon be closed. However, the two cases aren't the same because being charged to bring a foreign car in isn't really an example of dual pricing, especially when the entry fee will still only be very low. Since they don't pay Thai road tax it's actually a very reasonable approach.

Dual pricing, especially when it's applied to residents/foreign workers however is not reasonable. It's more of a slap in the face.

You sound like some pseudo, new age communist. People should pay based on their income and savings? What world do you live in? 100 baht from a rich person is worth the same as 100 baht from a poor person.

LOL.

I would like to add that it's NOT true that Thai admission prices are not excessive compared to elsewhere.

Let me see here: most national parks in Australia charge no admission fee, are much more well kept (cleaner), bigger and interesting than Thai ones. You will also see fewer visitors and actually get to experience nature, rather than the pseudo nature experience most Thai national parks seem to offer.

Many tourist attractions in other countries are also cheaper than their Thai equivalents, especially if you've got a discount voucher, are a student, senior/pensioner etc. Thai tourist attractions rarely offer discounts for anyone except children. They have yet to recognize seniors are deserving of discounts too.

Yes! This is so true. The admission prices to attractions in Thailand often far exceeded their equivalent western counterparts. 500 baht to enter the grand palace! There is nothing to do except walk around for 15 minutes! That's over $60 for a family of 4. I cannot think of many places California a family of 4 would have to pay over $60 to enter to walk around and look at something for 15 minutes.

I was at "Mini Siam" in Pattaya a few months back..... 300 baht for foreigners! The place was total shit. You would never be expected to pay $10 to enter a garbage, run down place like that in California.

I don't know why so many people try to justify this nonsense, especially by lying and making false claims about how things are the same in the West.