Tighter control for tourists to bring in their cars during their stay in Thailand

webfact

Tighter control for tourists to bring in their cars during their stay in Thailand

68-wpcf_728x410.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Foreign tourists wishing to bring their cars into Thailand during their stay here will be required to notify the Land Transport Department at least 10 days in advance and to insure their cars as part of a new regulation to regulate the influx of foreign cars especially from China.

The proposed ministerial regulation is a joint effort of the Ministry of Tourism and Sports and the Land Transport Department to regulate cars brought into the country by tourists, especially Chinese, in light of a spate of car accidents involving Chinese vehicles.

An increasingly number of Chinese cars were brought into the country via Chiang Khong district of Chiang Rai by Chinese tourists prompting concern among authorities concerned because most of them do not know traffic regulations here and are not familiar with road conditions.

Under the proposed ministerial regulation, cars which are allowed into the country include vans or cars which can accommodate at most nine seats and pickup trucks weighing no more than 3,500 kgs.

The drivers will be required to seek a temporary licence from the provincial land transport office at least 10 days in advance through their tour agencies in Thailand.

Applications for the temporary licenses must be accompanied by the drivers’ passports, their car licenses and car insurance.

The temporary licenses are good for only 30 days and license fees are set at 500 baht plus another 500 baht for a temporary license plate for cars and 200 baht for motorcycles.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/153050

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-03-02

Chinese ambassador endorses bid to let tourist-ridden Chinese vehicles in northern Thailand

CHIANG RAI, 2 March 2016 (NNT) - Chinese Ambassador to Thailand Ning Fukui gave solid support for Thailand’s plans to allow Chinese vehicles to carry Chinese tourists around in the northern region of the country.

In an interview in Chiang Rai province, the Chinese envoy said Chinese tourists could avoid troubles, especially road accidents, while traveling in northern Thailand, if allowed to ride in Chinese vehicles.

The Chinese envoy said all Chinese tourists would not mean to violate traffic rules or cause any trouble but they might possibly misunderstand the Thai laws and regulations.

Such misunderstandings on the part of the Chinese will by no means affect relationships between Thailand and China, he said.

He said he believed more Chinese tourists would visit northern Thailand if the Chinese vehicles were effectively allowed.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-03-02 footer_n.gif

Wow..

I can't stop laughing right now.

1st, The influx of tourist accidents, especially Chinese... I agree, these guys can't even walk safely...

2nd, Any vehicle will require special license for vehicles that pack more than 9 people. Has anyone seen those morning wooden Thai buses or construction dump trucks filled with Burmese workers? I thought I was watching Slum Dog Millionare live.

3rd Chinese don't ride motorcyles. This will sure hit all on Bike Week. It will now! Smart thinking here.

It's pay day!

Thailand was listed as #2 in the world for road causalities just a few days ago, and instead of dealing with that in any real manner, they focus on Chinese drivers and their cars. Can't say I'm surprised.

You haven't seen how they drive in this part of the country, you think Thai drivers can be bad, they don't begin to compare!

Part of the problem is the sudden change from driving on the right to the left, just as UK drivers have to switch sides when driving in Europe. But here there's no signs near the border reminding Chinese tourists of the change, no aids whatsoever.

Make things more difficult and expect more tourism. Yeah...in your dreams.

In today's world getting some permit 10 days in advance to drive your car to some other country sounds like bureaucracy fifty years ago. If no insurance when entering, provide one at the border with a cost. Easy.

But this is about money. It is not for the luxurious tuk-tuks and scam volunteers called taxi drivers.

I'd be looking elsewhere. Just my five cents.

The thing that I don't understand though, is that on the Southern side of Thailand things seems to be better regulated. Seems, I think.... Specifically, Malaysians and the odd Singaporean driving into Thailand have always needed to be a) insured by a Thai insurer, therefore B) making sure that their vehicles have their proper registration and roadworthiness certification from their respective countries. And c) be issued a proper Thai license plate albeit that 'plate' bring a large sticker you stick next to your plate next to the official one front and behind. I've seen intrepid Malaysians and Sinporean cars all the way up in Chiang Rai even.

There are agents all over Sadao / Padang Besar / Sungai Kolok who will handle all these. You just need to make sure that, like in most Thai affairs, you need to chop a few trees down in paperwork.

Wonder why it's different with the border / vehicle control on the northern side of things.

Mai pen lai; many thai drive also on the right side of the roads ..from the bicycle to the big truck ...

The difference being that the local drivers who do that are taking known chances whereas the Chinese drivers simply don't know what they're doing but think they are in the right.

I hope they stamp down on the crazy drivers from Laos up here in Nongkhai. They think they own the road. Only a short while back, a young lad in our soi got knocked of his motorbike by a driver from Laos and broke his back. The police were called and they ushered the driver away apparently commenting on the amount of paperwork the incident would involve. Fortunately, it was caught on cctv and by a security guards phone. No idea what happened to the officers but the driver from Laos has now been ordered to pay for his hospital and rehabilitation costs on a monthly basis.

So its gotten a lot cheaper. I remember a friend coming from Holiday on his bike from Sweden (world tour) and had to pay 200% of the moto's value to enter thailand. Reimbursed when leaving... This clearly is the cheaper option.

I think first of all the thai drivers need to learn the rules of the road never mind the Chinese, the thas have no understanding of there own road rules as very few here have had any form of driving lessons before getting a licence, just a few hours with uncle somchai as he drive very well!

Chinese ambassador endorses bid to let tourist-ridden Chinese vehicles in northern Thailand

CHIANG RAI, 2 March 2016 (NNT) - Chinese Ambassador to Thailand Ning Fukui gave solid support for Thailand’s plans to allow Chinese vehicles to carry Chinese tourists around in the northern region of the country.

In an interview in Chiang Rai province, the Chinese envoy said Chinese tourists could avoid troubles, especially road accidents, while traveling in northern Thailand, if allowed to ride in Chinese vehicles.

The Chinese envoy said all Chinese tourists would not mean to violate traffic rules or cause any trouble but they might possibly misunderstand the Thai laws and regulations.

Such misunderstandings on the part of the Chinese will by no means affect relationships between Thailand and China, he said.

He said he believed more Chinese tourists would visit northern Thailand if the Chinese vehicles were effectively allowed.

nntlogo.jpg

They should at least be made to drive cars with the driving position ON THE RIGHT like the rest of the people on the roads. How many accidents do you think will be caused by this?!!!

But will they remember to drive on the left side of the road? gigglem.gif

Where I live is on their favourite route from Chiang Mai through Chiang Rai to the border with Laos.

They love to drive in convoy, 4 way flashers blinking, eyes fixed on the GPS, one hand clutching a walkie talkie, usually down the middle of the road.

The locals dive for cover when they see those blue number plates coming!

Edited by JAG

Reciprocity? Does China not make you hire a guide/driver chaperone ? Both countries

have equally bad drivers. Each country having opposite side drive does not help. coffee1.gif

They have even made it down to sleepy Chumphon

I was sitting in a place called The Crooked Palm on Thung Wua Laen the other night watching a farce on the beach .

There was one Chinese truck driving up and down the beach ,then another one tried to do the same but got stuck in the sand.

First truck finally gets off after numerous attempts and is trying to tow the other out , all the time blocking the road.Police finally turn up.

Thats when the real fun started, police are trying to push and shove, anything to unblock the road.

The truck towing shot back and hit a tree and the one being towed went deeper in the sand.

Then a young Chinese kid ran into the road and got smacked by a motorbike.Only got a few scratches

This went on for over an hour. What a fun night

They should all be made to pass the strict Thai driving test or pay the usual 500Baht for a Thai driving licence so that they can all drive at the same standard of Thai drivers and make everyone feel that bit safer on Thai roads.

Wow..

1st, The influx of tourist accidents, especially Chinese... I agree, these guys can't even walk safely...

2nd, Any vehicle will require special license for vehicles that pack more than 9 people. Has anyone seen those morning wooden Thai buses or construction dump trucks filled with Burmese workers? I thought I was watching Slum Dog Millionare live.

3rd Chinese don't ride motorcyles. This will sure hit all on Bike Week. It will now! Smart thinking here.

It's pay day!

"3rd Chinese don't ride motorcyles."

I've only been to mainland China (Beijing) once for a week, but have been to Taiwan too many times to count.

Spent hateful weeks on end all over the island.

The motorcycles there are thicker than hair on a dog's back.

Wow..

It's pay day!

"Chinese don't ride motorcyles".

One of the biggest driving risks in and around Chiang Mai is Chinese tourists on motorcycles, they haven't got a clue about even basic rules of the road and will stop at the median of a very fast dual carriage way, just to look at the map and chat with other friends also on bikes.

"In an interview in Chiang Rai province, the Chinese envoy said Chinese tourists could avoid troubles, especially road accidents, while traveling in northern Thailand, if allowed to ride in Chinese vehicles."

Sorry, but it's Chinese vehicles that they are currently having the accidents in isn't it??

nntlogo.jpg

They should at least be made to drive cars with the driving position ON THE RIGHT like the rest of the people on the roads. How many accidents do you think will be caused by this?!!!

This bizarre story and the strange logic of this ambassador contradicts the original story which says it is going to become HARDER for Chinese vehicles to enter the country. Please tell the ambassador that nobody is preventing Chinese vehicles from entering at all, but they must now have advance permission. This is a good thing because, you know what? The Chinese also don't allow Thai vehicles to enter without pre-authorization. So please, ambassador Ning Fukai, stop the hypocrisy and yes the driving position should be on the RIGHT, not the LEFT as in China.

I hope they stamp down on the crazy drivers from Laos up here in Nongkhai. They think they own the road. Only a short while back, a young lad in our soi got knocked of his motorbike by a driver from Laos and broke his back. The police were called and they ushered the driver away apparently commenting on the amount of paperwork the incident would involve. Fortunately, it was caught on cctv and by a security guards phone. No idea what happened to the officers but the driver from Laos has now been ordered to pay for his hospital and rehabilitation costs on a monthly basis.

I disagree with clamping down on Lao vehicles because they have an official agreement with Thailand UNLIKE China. If the Thais restricted Lao vehicles watch the Lao do the same to the Thais, which would suck as I drive to Laos very often for a business I'm starting over there. I would abandon the business the minute I were restricted from driving there as I need to transport supplied across and without my own car I'd be spending hundreds of dollars on car rental each time just for a few days stay which would make it too expensive and not worth it.

Lao vehicles have every right to be here (unlike Chinese vehicles), just that they need to follow the road rules. I have noticed a number of safety-cams in Nong Khai and Udon Thani now, presumably to catch speedsters although I'm wondering how they will enforce this against Lao drivers. Having said that, whenever the police is out in Nong Khai the main vehicles caught for speeding are Lao. Usually only Lao, from my experience.