New Mall Movie Theater

maccaroni man

I was very excited to see the new mall with it's major cineplex and i have been frustrated with the lack of quality films. my children read and write thai so at first i would humor them and go to see one of the number of thai movies on offer but after viewing these low grade, mindless flicks my wife who is thai will not allow them to watch such garbage. My question is, why does hua hin allow itself to be a subject of bkk just because we are 3 hours south. hua hin can stand on it's own if it chooses to, i.e a current and first run movie schedule, and an airport that used one of the many airlines available such as bkkair etc...... Hua hin has much more to offer than koh samui yet it lags far behind in these 2 areas.

the maccaroni man.

i think that over the next few years hua hin and the coastline to the north up to cha am and to the south towards prajuab khiri khan will see enormous development , along the coast numerous resorts and what seem to be decently designed housing projects are springing up , west and south of town there are falang moo baans being developed , its too early to say whether it will all end up a shambolic mess with poor infrastructure and services like the islands , or whether it will grow up gracefully.

progress is inevitable , and with it will come all the sh1t . i know it will happen but i am in no rush to see it here.

the fact that there is a royal presence here goes a long way to keeping things saner than elsewhere.

the airport will only get busy if the demand is there , at the moment its easier to drive down from bangkok , and most thais (and this is still a predominantly thai family weekend and bank holiday resort) will drive down , they can pack all the stuff they travel with in those vans they hire ).

the road is being upgraded and should be finished in a year or so and that will cut travelling times down from the 2 to 3 hours it takes now.

as for the cinema , well , mindless entertainment has become the norm , and outside of bangkok , serious or arthouse movies would not be very well supported , you have to think too much to understand them , and when thais go out at night , seriousness is always off the menu.

i would also like to see good first run movies here , and hope that scorceses new film will be shown here with an english soundtrack ...... (although it might not be what you would take your kids to see)

dont lose hope though ....... it looks like they are going to build a disneyland the size of hong kong just south of here , your kids will be over the moon. :o

More to offer than Samui?

well i admit hua hin doesnt have a "monkey theatre" built out of coconut shells , or a butterfly farm where thousands of butterflies are kept prisoner , or a "zoo" with one tortured and sedated tiger pacing around in a cage.

neither does it have a spectacular 4 metre waterfall , or a dead ray charles lookalike in a glass cage in a temple.

but it does have a public transport system that charges foriegners the same as thais , and the level of fleecing here is negligable compared to the islands.

ของใครของมัน as they say.

Or Scuba .... or The Canopy trips ... etc etc etc etc etc etc .... zoo ... Bo Phut ... sea gypsies ... great other islands close by ... snorkelling .... etc etc etc ... this could go on all day!

HH IS nice ... lived there for 6 months ... and it is getting better! when I lived there starting just about 3 years ago we had to go to Petchaburi for BigC type shopping .. and to BKK for movies in English ... but the transpo was only the same price for Thais and farang during the day if you lived anywhere but dead center town ... I enjoyed it there ... but it isn't the South!

Edited by jdinasia

• 2 weeks later...
More to offer than Samui?

well i admit hua hin doesnt have a "monkey theatre" built out of coconut shells , or a butterfly farm where thousands of butterflies are kept prisoner , or a "zoo" with one tortured and sedated tiger pacing around in a cage.

neither does it have a spectacular 4 metre waterfall , or a dead ray charles lookalike in a glass cage in a temple.

but it does have a public transport system that charges foriegners the same as thais , and the level of fleecing here is negligable compared to the islands.

ของใครของมัน as they say.

nice going ... your absolutly right