Trip From N. Thailand For A Non-imm “o”

I must get a non-immigrant “O” visa early next week using a letter from my new employer, a Thai University.

I’m on my 9th 30-day free-entry-at-the-border stamp now. (Non-Imm “O” before those.) Last entry 29 Sept.

My American passport will expire in late February 2007 (Thai Immig carried over my Non-“O” extensions to this passport in 1997, so I’m hoping the 4 month-to-expiring passport will not be a problem.)

I’m in Chiang Rai [The University isn’t.] I’m on a tight budget. I’m supposing Vientiane is my best choice (closest and cheapest travel).

No air service Chiang Rai to Vientiane as far as I can see, and getting the Lao visa would probably make air travel too complex unless I could get it on arrival at Vientiane airport. So, probably. . .

Bus to Chiang Mai

Bus to Udorn Thani (I’ll go to local bus station tomorrow, and nearby tour bus co. to check on types, routes and scheds.)

Bus to Nong Khai

Bus across border from Udorn or Nong Khai (Thai-Lao International Bus Service) stopping at bridge for Lao visa. Cost for Lao Visa? Baht (not USD) O.K.?

Make photocopy of passport (which can be made only after getting Lao entry stamps?)

Thai Consulate before 12.00 noon (closing time) / Hotel (worst case 2 nites in hotel)

And reverse that to get back home.

Any help in planning will be appreciated!

.1. Will the Thais give me a non-“O” in my current passport which expires late February?

.2. Am I going to a Thai Consulate or Embassy in Vientiane? (I have to supply this info to my new employer for them to make the letter.)

.3. How does one get around cheaply in Vientiane? Aside from walking miles in the sun.

.4. Can anyone recommend a cheap, clean, quiet hotel or guest house in Vientiane?

.5. Is it likely the Thais in Vientiane are going to squawk about my 9 thirty-day stamps?

.6. Is it relevant to the Thais in Vientiane that I have a Thai wife and a kid? (Bring documents?)

.7. Can I use Thai Baht, or does one have to exchange it for kip somewhere?

.8. Any other suggestions or wisdom to share?

Thanks for your time and effort!

i can only try to help with vientienne

once accross the border and with your one page laos visa stamp. you will have a choice of tuk tuks or small open vans or even cars.

the price starts at around 100 baht to go to vientienne

then ask for tai pan hotel not because u wanna stay there but it is right next to the main road along the river front where you can walk along and get some cheap rooms in the many guest houses.

prices range from 250 baht upwards, u can even get it lower if you wanna stay in a dorm.

currency in vientiene is kip but every shop bar cafe takes thai baht.

beware of all tuk tuks selling you anything in vientienne, its a scam, they work for the laos police and if its your unlucky night you will have a knock on your door.

nightlife closes everywhere at midnight

it is also illegal to have a girlfriend in laos if you are a foreigner so if you must meet that special asian lady make sure its short and sweet.

goodluck

[snip]

goodluck

Thank you Brazil! Useful re a place to lay my head and to know Laos is going to eat a whole page (?!) with their visa stamp. (Burma, MaeSai crossing can fit 3 trips, sometimes 4 including the Thai stuff on one page.)

I think I've found my bus (not the big seats but air and toilet) 616 baht to Udorn.

But I'm worried to death I need 6 months on my passport to get the non-O (Just saw that in a comment here:

<<Q: What do you mean by "passport must be valid for at least six months?"

A: Your passport must not expire within six months from the date you apply for the visa to Thailand.

http://www.thaivisa.com/349.0.html -- Visa FAQ: Frequent Asked Questions >>

I have neither the time (2 wks!) nor the money for a new passport at the moment!

Thanks again Brazil!

Sorry to say but do not believe Vientiane will issue you a non immigrant visa on that passport. You need a new passport now. Even a return on a 30 day entry could be a problem if you can not produce 10k baht (the date of passport might get them asking to see it). The following is the official requirement for any non immigrant visa issue.

. DOCUMENTS REQUIRED

2.1 The applicants must submit the following relevant documents depending on the purpose of their visit.

- Visa application form completely filled out

- Passport or travel document with validity not less than 6 months. The validity of 18 months is required for one year visa application.

- (4 x 6 cm) protograph of the applicant, taken within the past six months

- Evidence of adequate finance ( 20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family )

Sorry to say but do not believe Vientiane will issue you a non immigrant visa on that passport.

[snip]

Thanks, Lopburi. My hope regarding the passport problem is that someone might come along with actual experience with the same kind of passport and getting (not getting) a visa.

I tried to call the "1111" number promoted by Immigration to ask, but got a woman who, to me, sounded like a Fillipina (thick accent) who hung up on me when I said I had a question about a non-immigrant visa. Perhaps I can call the local immigration office tomorrow, or stop by when I make the border run.

I sure don't want to spend the time and money to make the Vientiane trip only to be refused.

[Looking at my previous expired passport for some insight into this, I just saw it ends with a Non-O stamped "Extension of stay not permitted" followed by 39 extension stamps (8 of them are actually extensions, the others are "applic for exten under consideration.") Sigh.]

Immigration can not answer your question. It is a matter for the Consulate involved so the only way to check would be to contact the Embassy in Vientiane:

Royal Thai Embassy

P.O. Box 128

Kaisone Phomvihane Avenue

Saysettha District, Vientiane, Lao PDR.

Tel. (856-21) 214-581-3

Satellite Telephone: (02) 575-0512-13

Facsimile:(856-21) 214-580

Satellite Facsimile:(02) 575-0510

Consular Section: Tel: (856-21) 900-238

Facsimile:(856-21) 415-336

E-mail : [email protected]

Office Hours :08.30-16.30 hours Monday-Friday

Visa and Consular section : 08.30-12.00 hours and 13.30-16.30 hours (pick up only)

Immigration can not answer your question. It is a matter for the Consulate involved so the only way to check would be to contact the Embassy in Vientiane:
Royal Thai Embassy

P.O. Box 128

Kaisone Phomvihane Avenue

Saysettha District, Vientiane, Lao PDR.

Tel. (856-21) 214-581-3

Satellite Telephone: (02) 575-0512-13

Facsimile:(856-21) 214-580

Satellite Facsimile:(02) 575-0510

Consular Section: Tel: (856-21) 900-238

Facsimile:(856-21) 415-336

E-mail : [email protected]

Office Hours :08.30-16.30 hours Monday-Friday

Visa and Consular section : 08.30-12.00 hours and 13.30-16.30 hours (pick up only)

Has anyone obtained a multi entry non immigrant O visa from Laos or are they issuing singles only?

[snip]

You are, of course, correct -- two different ministries. Thought of that after I posted. Have been away from computers. I will update as I have more info. Juggling too many things here.

Thank you for the contact info., which I didn't have.

At least Vientiane has a U.S. Embassy along with a Thai Embassy (unlike, say, Penang); should the services of U.S Embassy be required, it's nearby. Two week wait for any renewal of U.S. passports, though, and must be done in person as "no reliable delivery services are available" here in and around Thailand.

once accross the border and with your one page laos visa stamp. you will have a choice of tuk tuks or small open vans or even cars.

the price starts at around 100 baht to go to vientienne

then ask for tai pan hotel not because u wanna stay there but it is right next to the main road along the river front where you can walk along and get some cheap rooms in the many guest houses.

prices range from 250 baht upwards, u can even get it lower if you wanna stay in a dorm.

currency in vientiene is kip but every shop bar cafe takes thai baht.

beware of all tuk tuks selling you anything in vientienne, its a scam, they work for the laos police and if its your unlucky night you will have a knock on your door.

nightlife closes everywhere at midnight

it is also illegal to have a girlfriend in laos if you are a foreigner so if you must meet that special asian lady make sure its short and sweet.

goodluck

Quote;

At least Vientiane has a U.S. Embassy along with a Thai Embassy (unlike, say, Penang); should the services of U.S Embassy be required, it's nearby. Two week wait for any renewal of U.S. passports, though, and must be done in person as "no reliable delivery services are available" here in and around Thailand.

Even in Bangkok there is a 15 day wait for a new passport and they will NOT mail it to you. It must be picked up in person. I think the cost was US $62.

Quote;

Even in Bangkok there is a 15 day wait for a new passport and they will NOT mail it to you. It must be picked up in person. I think the cost was US $62.

Glad I can walk to that embassy. All I gotta do is figure out how to get my non O based on visiting friends and year rental contract. I better start a thread on that one

• 2 weeks later...

O.K. Trip completed . . .

Here is what I learned in all this:

There is a bus direct from Chiang Rai to Udon Thani. But not VIP, so more seats on the bus and narrower seats. Bus with toilets, useful foam pillow and more legroom, 616 baht. Bus no toilet, less legroom, 479 baht. About a 13 hour trip.

So I imagine generally speaking, chances are good of finding direct busses from A to B if one sacrifices comfort and convenience.

--------

The Thai embassy did insist I would need a new passport. You can't get a visa with only 4 months left on the passport.

--------

A Laos visa eats a whole page of passport and for an American, costs at present 1500 baht or 35 dollars. It's a bit different for different nationalities; Japanese man I was talking with paid less.

-------

At friendship bridge entry to Laos, I couldn't find a currency exchange (for baht-dollars) but a duty free shop will do it -- not sure it's worth the hassle though. I had to walk to the farthest shop, but probably varies every day.

-------

Do not take the Baht 20 bus into Vientiane after stamping into Laos. It stopped, emptied out, and I was one of the first on (no crowd) to head back to town. Surprise . . . first we made a 45 minute round trip on terrible bumpy, dusty road back to where we started. Now the old broken bus had many seats full as more people boarded to actually go into town, which took at least 30 minutes and much of that road is pretty bad (not so bad on a "normal" bus with functioning shock absorbers.)

Which brings me to . . .

The Thai - Lao Bus service from Udorn to Vientiane and vice-versa. 80 Baht. Air con, assigned seat. Stops at visa points and waits for everyone. Highly recommended. Likely to be booked up full an hour or so before departure. Stops / ticket office at frontmost bldg Vientiane Bus Station. Not sure which bus station among many in Udorn Thani (Mid town near Robinsons Dept store, I think.)

-----------

Bowl of noodles in Vientiane may be 40 or 30 baht instead of the 20 you may be expecting.

----------

Thai Embassy in Vientiane had only one Lao employee in visa applicant area. Refused my request to speak to a government officer. Bottom line is you should politely but firmly insist if necessary. I strongly suggest using the phone or email to get info before making the trip (or at least when in town.) Stopping by the Embassy to get info., I don't know how to do successfully. My experience was they have a long way to go in the "customer service" department.

That's all that comes to mind now...