Is it safe or stupid to drive a motorbike in Ramkhaemhaeng/Bang Kapi area?

nocturnalK

Not one video from Thailand?

Does that really matter? The point I was trying to make is driving a bike in itself is dangerous in ANY accident. Your body has absolutely no protection as you become a projectile flying thru the air. If you survive, you get bragging rights for "100 feet or whatever ...thru the air".

Edited by 321Rich

What a question to have to answer.Driving a car/bike On Thai city roads is at best a 50/50 chance of having an accident.Having said that, there is a 50/50 chance that you wont.I think the broad answer is that it depends how you drive/ride and negotiate the drivers/riders about you.I guess its a case of(and i hate this hackneyed saying) stupid is,as stupid does.its really 'up to you.

Stupid.

For that matter, it's stupid to drive a motorbike ANYWHERE in Thailand, given the shocking rate of deaths among motorbike riders, caused by too many stupid people who think it ISN'T stupid to ride a motorbike in Thailand.

I've survived 30 years of motorcycle riding here. Any time I've had a near miss it was caused by a vehicle with 4 or more wheels. There's stupid drivers on/in all types of vehicles.

I appreciate everyone who has given me advice and information on the Ramkhamhaeng area. That's exactly what I need to know.

To the 100% anti-bike crowd: In my opinion, it's way more dangerous to drive a motorcycle in America than in Thailand, but people do it. And they prepare themselves to do it safely, which is why we're having this discussion.

I have no problem avoiding certain areas and taking a taxi/bus if it's just a bad idea to drive: Bang Kapi Mall area and after 9:30 pm on Ramkhamhaeng will be a no go. If there's any other specific area, please let me know.

As I said earlier, I'm staying towards the Ramkhamhaeng university side around Soi 1. Or I may stay around Rama IX Soi 13 off of the expressway. I'd be using the bike for short trips to the coffee shops in the area on Soi Ekkamai (A.K.A. Sukhumvit 63), which seems relatively safe.

The bike is in Chiang Mai, and I'll bring it down to Bangkok.

Is it safe to ride a motorcycle anywhere on the roads of Thailand?

With the amount of traffic in the Bang Kapi area then I say yes, it's pretty safe to do so.

For the OP, I've spent a bit of time in Bang Kapi and think you'll be fine. It's mainly local traffic but be wary of the speeding traffic on Rama IX.

Is it safe to ride a motorcycle anywhere on the roads of Thailand?

Make sure you have very very Good Medical Cover and that is does cover motor bike and boat accidents, if you do !!Have all the necessary International drivers Licence too.

does the road flood often too?

Stupid.

For that matter, it's stupid to drive a motorbike ANYWHERE in Thailand, given the shocking rate of deaths among motorbike riders, caused by too many stupid people who think it ISN'T stupid to ride a motorbike in Thailand.

spoken by an ash hole who probably gets his internet purchased wife to drive him 100m to the bar in the honda jazz. i musta done 50,000+kms on bikes in the last 4 years and if you want to test me for being stupid i look forward to it. meet me at burriram, im riding 2000km right now to go there.