2 Chinese arrested after Thai police seize 900,000 pairs of fake sunglasses

snoop1130

Officers from the Department of Special Investigations carried out dawn raids at seven locations in China town which resulted in the seizure of 895, 897 pairs of counterfeit Ray Ban, Luis Vuitton and Oakley sunglasses, which had they been genuine would be worth around 130 million Baht.

Once again zero fact checking.. 145b per pair of "genuine" designer shades ??

Where do they do their genuine shopping.. Thats fakes retail price.. Genuine ones are easily in the 6k baht range, making about 5,300,000,000.

"895, 897 pairs - worth around 130 million Baht." that's $4.15 per pair for genuine ones (145 baht)

Each put into smallest possible cardboard box, maybe 3.5cm x 4cm x 14.5cm ... amounts 181 cubic meters.

Would be something like 6 x 6 x 5 meters pile - or 3 full 40ft containers. Well, latter believable and clearly a huge amount - but please tell me where I can get originals for 145 baht each. I'd like to buy some! (wonder what these fakes would have been sold for)

When they say originals they mean Thai originals....

A clerk at the local imm office wears a Rolex.

You'll be surprised to know that it's real....the amount of $$$ that goes around in those places is unreal.

Official salary of the clerk: 15k/month

Monthly tea money: 100k and up

Officers from the Department of Special Investigations carried out dawn raids at seven locations in China town which resulted in the seizure of 895, 897 pairs of counterfeit Ray Ban, Luis Vuitton and Oakley sunglasses, which had they been genuine would be worth around 130 million Baht.

Once again zero fact checking.. 145b per pair of "genuine" designer shades ??

Where do they do their genuine shopping.. Thats fakes retail price.. Genuine ones are easily in the 6k baht range, making about 5,300,000,000.

Exactly ... is there absolutely no-one in the editorial office who says "130 million, divided by about a million (give or take) equals ... hang on, while I get my calculator ... wow! B130 each"?

Who's the bald guy ?

I would assume from the Italian Embassy as mentioned in the article.

So it safe to say the Italians snitched about the counterfeits , and now baldy can gloat with the police ?

Didn't know Ray Ban, Luis Vuitton and Oakley were Italian. They should not stick their nose in Thailand's business.

Now people will have to travel to Laos or Vietnam to get Real Sunglasses for 0ne dollar each.

No, not that far. They just have to travel to MBK where most stalls are owned by members of the RTP. I know several overthere when I was doing some exports.

Genuine copied Ray Bans for 200 THB/pc or 12 pcs for 1,500 THB when you're in the wholesale business. (With box, pouch, cloth and genuine papers 600 THB/pc, 12 pcs for 6,000 THB)

Edited by FredNL

"895, 897 pairs - worth around 130 million Baht." that's $4.15 per pair for genuine ones (145 baht)

Each put into smallest possible cardboard box, maybe 3.5cm x 4cm x 14.5cm ... amounts 181 cubic meters.

Would be something like 6 x 6 x 5 meters pile - or 3 full 40ft containers. Well, latter believable and clearly a huge amount - but please tell me where I can get originals for 145 baht each. I'd like to buy some! (wonder what these fakes would have been sold for)

If your cost is 35 baht per pair and you sell for 100 baht you've just made close to 2 million dollars on the 1 container. Sign me up.. I'd do a year in the Hilton for that.

'The arrests came after police received complaints that Chinese nationals were importing fake sunglasses and selling them in Bangkok.' Obviously eating into the Thai counterfeiters' profits. And, no doubt, some RTP's. But I doubt the Luis Vuittons are fake; though Louis Vuittons might be.

they come in boxes of around 20 approx 30x16x8

'The arrests came after police received complaints that Chinese nationals were importing fake sunglasses and selling them in Bangkok.' Obviously eating into the Thai counterfeiters' profits. And, no doubt, some RTP's. But I doubt the Luis Vuittons are fake; though Louis Vuittons might be.

Along the same lines ... a few years ago I bought a pair of "designer" underwear very cheap. Only when I got home did I realize that they were Calvin Klien underwear :)

they come in boxes of around 20 approx 30x16x8

Ok, so 172 cubic meters only. Leaves 9 cbm for other essential merchandise.

Head down to your local market on any day you will see what price they are being sold for.

Typical Thainess. Blame non Thai.

Nothing wrong with that. Love it or leave it =)

Indeed. From the cultural mandates, which are still forcibly washed into the brains of the youths here, I present mandate 2:

"Thai people must not act as agent or spokesman for foreigners without considering the benefit of the Thai nation, and must not express opinion or take the side of foreigners in international disputes. These actions are a betrayal of the nation."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_cultural_mandates

fake sunglasses had been made in China

No, they're not fake until assembled with distinctive features and logos. I'm sure the Chinese suppliers and perhaps even Chinese authorities are aware that the buyers intend to sell the glasses as authentic fashion wear. But so long as it's not sold in China, not a crime.

So this problem will continue as Thai authorities cannot afford to retaliate against the Chinese government. That would in part a closer relationship with Western countries and Prayut is fast closing that bridge.

How you know its not assembled in China?

I guess its just say for not lost face about customs.

:);)