New Airport Poll

womble

New airport poll  

148 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The food in HK airport is on a par with what you would pay outside the airport, and the range means you have lots of choices. Unlike Suvarnabhumi which is a rip off, 75 baht for a bottle of King power water!!!!

Ok, I admit that I only transit in HKG these days and haven't been into the city in quite a while, but prices must have gone up considerably in the city if what you're saying is true, because last I checked the food prices (not fast-food) inside HKG while transiting were every bit as high as most other airports in Asia.

Anyway there were cheap tasty options in the old domestic terminal, personally I will miss the chinese upstairs that gave you a plate of duck and rice, soup and a drink for under 120 baht. The same in new airport would set you back something in the region of 300-400 baht.

Where was this place? Are you talking about landside, before you go through immigration, or airside after you go through immigration? There was a food court upstairs at Don Muang, in back, that had Chinese, Korean, and various other choices, which I assume you're referring to. I never saw a cheap Chinese restaurant airside at Don Muang. At Suvarnabhumi, there's also a food court landside, downstairs, Level 1, serving what looked like cheaper meals, mostly for airport workers. I'm guessing that these are meant to be somewhat comparable food courts, though I didn't notice any Chinese place in the food court when I visited soon after the airport opened. But would imagine they might have a Chinese place in there by now. Have you been there to check it out? I doubt that this food court would charge anywheres close to 300-400 Baht for a simple meal as it had a lot of Thais in there eating when I saw it.

A Mc d's meal or kfc meal is cheaper than that in HK.

So if it's cheaper in Suvarnabhumi than HKG, what exactly is your complaint? Is it that you don't like fast food and you want something different (Chinese food), but something different is way overpriced while fast-food isn't overpriced? I admit I did tend to check prices at the fast food places mainly because those are easy to compare, so maybe non-fast food places are charging excessively....I'll have to check that out on my next trip.

BTW, I've heard nothing but very negative things about the restaurant on the 5th floor, landside, with overpriced and terrible food. If you're basing your opinions on this one restaurant, then you need to look around more to see what are the other options.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure Suvarnabhumi will never be perfect, but given the overall state of Thailand I think they've done a good job with the airport, assuming they fix the few glaring problems within a reasonable time. My expectations of anything in Thailand are based on the fact that they are in Thailand. Take the same circumstances and put them in another country, and you have to use different expectations by which to judge the product. People don't go to Thailand, a third-world country, expecting a country with filled with a first-world infrastructure and conveniences. That doesn't mean they can build a third-rate airport and expect people to be happy, but it means there can be some deficiencies and still satisfy the majority of people who come with the knowledge that this is Thailand.

AKA "TIT". Yes, we're applying first world expectations to a third world country. Always a big mistake here, and the cause of a lot of angst amongst farangs, myself included, who forget this from time to time. However, we do see great developments in many areas, so we have greater expectations. If the Mall Group could build Siam Paragon and run it as efficiently as they do, then we know these mega projects are feasible. It just depends on who is running them and what the motive is. I think we're beginning to understand that quite well now.

Well it wasn't really ready to be opened - this was glaringly obvious. Well on the more optimistic side - it can't get any worse now can it?? :o

Yesterday's Post:

SUVARNABHUMI AIRPORT / DEFECTS FOUND

Parking bays closed for repair

http://www.bangkokpost.com/251006_News/25Oct2006_news03.php

Less than a month after Suvarnabhumi airport went into full operation, three of its aircraft parking bays and a taxiway had to be closed for repair as they became uneven due to cracked tarmac. Airport general manager Somchai Sawasdeepon said yesterday that the temporary closure since Saturday was necessary at the E2, 4 and 6 parking bays and the T13 taxiway due to their uneven surface.

This may have resulted from heavy downpours, or the partial removal of flood dykes at the airport may have allowed water from a nearby canal to seep into the tarmac...

This is what happens when a graft-ridden airport project, in a swamp, is rushed to completion.

My upcountry airport suffered roof leaks for a while. The roadway entering the parking and pickup/drop-off area delveloped huge sinkholes in a crucial spot. Weeks went by before they were fixed. And the runway is bumpy. I think it's sign of what will happen at Savarnabhnumi, but I hope not.

Jeez, people like to complain, don't they?

Let's all find any little negative thing we can, shall we?

As for food outlets, I didnt count them but walking from immigration to departure gate c2 I saw a very wide selection, including Burger King and the usual snack outlets, trendy cafes and japanese restaurants. The whole range was there?

More expensive than outside? Of course it is - it's a bloody airport.

Stop whinging.

Why do disaffected people always want to see the negative?

Actually i'm comenting on the domestic side and also comparing the chinese restaurant in the old airport before you go through to the restaurant upstairs in the new airport that is crap and over priced.

Then i'm saying that HK has much more choice and some of those options seem cheaper than anything available in the new Thai airport because of the overpriced monopolies.

I didn't find the workers food centre, I will try to find that and eat there in future.

Yeah there is some of us who are often negative, but then there's also others who are happy there are monopolies, cracked parking bays, collusion on contract biding, over priced low quality food, taxi touts, hotel touts and many other things that I find unacceptable in a new airport that is claiming to be world class and trying to achieve regional hub status.

Some of you guys need to take your head out of your A*S£ and realise there are far to many problems with this airport that could so easlily have been avoided.

I guess most of you are the ones who tell other to go home if they don't like it?????

Nothing seems to bother you does it.

The reason for my negativity is I was really looking forward to this airport, I thought it would put Thailand on the map as a country finally climbing out of it's third world status and moving more towards a level with malaysia. Sadly it has made it all too clear the many problems Thailand has when it comes to business and competition. They simply cannot compete with south Korea, Taiwan or malaysia, and will fall further and further behind these countries and the reasons for that are being made all too clear to the international community by this new airport.

I believe this airport is a tangible example of Thailands reasons for it becoming increasingly less and less competetive in relation to it's neighbours.

Quite sad really.

Edited by womble

Actually i'm comenting on the domestic side and also comparing the chinese restaurant in the old airport before you go through to the restaurant upstairs in the new airport that is crap and over priced.

Then i'm saying that HK has much more choice and some of those options seem cheaper than anything available in the new Thai airport because of the overpriced monopolies.

I didn't find the workers food centre, I will try to find that and eat there in future.

Yeah there is some of us who are often negative, but then there's also others who are happy there are monopolies, cracked parking bays, collusion on contract biding, over priced low quality food, taxi touts, hotel touts and many other things that I find unacceptable in a new airport that is claiming to be world class and trying to achieve regional hub status.

Some of you guys need to take your head out of your A*S£ and realise there are far to many problems with this airport that could so easlily have been avoided.

I guess most of you are the ones who tell other to go home if they don't like it?????

Nothing seems to bother you does it.

No ... the little things like food at the airport don't bother me at all! Yes,I have ONLY been through the new airport 4 times this month! Yes, one of those times, I had to ride in from remote parking <aircraft> in a bus! So what?

So far it is a GREAT airport! Clean and nice ... fewer issues than the old airport etc! Give them a bit of time and they'll work things out :o

Give it atleast 6 months for it to get in the groove of things first. Doesnt sound like much at the moment with peoples stories. Its a new airport, many new airports have problems. If its still the same in 6 months then there will be reason to complain

Please list the improvements a brand new international airport should bring.

Suvarnabhumi is nothing more than a factory hall with some useless HiSo shops. You want to see an airport? Look elsewhere.

Sportsmans Bar in C.M airport...beer and a plate of chicken for Bt 150...no bad.. :o

I kind of miss the old airport, especially the "smoking pub" in the domestic end. i quit smoking almost a year ago, but a couple of the gals that worked there were good for a laugh, always looked forward to seeing them and having a few leos.

also, some might think i'm a bit off, but i even miss the long walk between the domestic and international terminals, didn't do a body harm after a long flight in, might have helped shake off the deep vein thrombosis....

the only place i could find in the domestic terminal at the gate i was flying at was the "green city" something or other restaurant/"bar?" . you pay for your beer with a prepaid plastic card, very institutionalistic, if that word even exists.

Generally I find the new airport adequate. I use it it probably once a week and have not experienced any horrors.

Firsly I never buy anything from airport shops anyway and do not eat at any of the food outlets as I use the lounges. However I can imagine they are laughably overpriced.

However there is only one lounge at the new airport and that is awful - very overcrowded with less on offer than at Don Muang in terms of refreshments and newspapers/magazines. This will probably improve.

I think they should also let Gold card members get preferential check-in as at Don Muang.

The taxi situation is also a mess - I am quiet lazy so I normally pay for a limosine rather than hunt for a taxi though they are overpriced.

The lack of lounges is due to the rush to open - that's not the airport's fault. Most will be ready within a few months.

Re gold card preferential . . .I am gold star alliance and checked in in the gold card queue yesterday, no problem.

I'm a happy punter, albeit one with my head in my arse

:-)

The lack of lounges is due to the rush to open - that's not the airport's fault. Most will be ready within a few months.

Re gold card preferential . . .I am gold star alliance and checked in in the gold card queue yesterday, no problem.

At least there's one of you!!! I think many people had greater expectations of the new airport, but in many ways it is just as bad as Don Muang and that was one of the worst airports for passenger comfort in the world, and this new one only exacerbates it's faults. They put all their effort into generating revenue, and forgot that the people using it don't want to just shop, they want to relax, and not everybody has a gold card or whatever.... so spare a thought for the little people.

:o

:o

Generally I find the new airport adequate. I use it it probably once a week and have not experienced any horrors.

Firsly I never buy anything from airport shops anyway and do not eat at any of the food outlets as I use the lounges. However I can imagine they are laughably overpriced.

However there is only one lounge at the new airport and that is awful - very overcrowded with less on offer than at Don Muang in terms of refreshments and newspapers/magazines. This will probably improve.

I think they should also let Gold card members get preferential check-in as at Don Muang.

The taxi situation is also a mess - I am quiet lazy so I normally pay for a limosine rather than hunt for a taxi though they are overpriced.

I spoke to a couple of guys on most recent visit and they confirmed that they are on double time to knock out the Airline lounges.I counted at least six of them on the go...

Thai is doubled up with Singapore at the mo which really means that any Star Ally Gold card holder can use it so recon when others open (the TG lounge)it should become a bit more civilised.

Re the duty free ..although I usually give it a miss I grabbed a couple of bottles Jonnie W GREEN Label (made mistake) this time in the sort of smart wee shoulder bag and they gave me another trolly type thingy (with wheels) plus a free half bottle as well.. Tot =@ bt 3k...sells for roughly £45-50 quid a throw over "ere...Slange.. :D

My GF sussed this one out while we were there picking people up....

It is on level one, at the "international" end of the building. Called "Magic Food Court". Prices were reasonable / typical for a Thai food center. Lunch for both of us was about 140 Bt.

Good Thai food, and lots of flight attendants from many airlines to look at!

Well you said it!

Why are you so keen to extol the virtues of this Godforsaken place? As I sat on my steel seat at the gate looking at the bare rough concrete pillars, I was reminded of an unfortunate few hours dealing with the police in Stuttgart at the last World Cup... :D

Is the cost of decorating that high in these parts?? :o

Not sure if the following about the airport has been mentioned but...

We arrived on the first day of the opening. First thing I noticed was the long walk to the passport control. The passport queue wasn't too bad, much better then in the old airport.

When we got to where the bagage carousel, it took a while to work out which carousel to get our bags off. That sign is huge with all the flight numbers flicking over - it was hard to find your flight on there. Our bags were already on the carousel so that was good.

Out we go to be confronted with a massive crowd of people. Trying get your bags throught the crowd was really difficult. That needs fixing.

We had someone pick us up so we didn't experience catching a taxi. :D

On the way OUT of Bangkok, not too much of a problem. One thing I noticed is you don't have to have your bags scanned before going to the Airline Check-In. That was good not having to line up for that.

The only complaint was the excessive walk to the gate through masses of shopping. That is &lt;deleted&gt; crazy. :o

Cheers YBB

Edit: BTW if there was a choice for this I would have pick it (although, the &lt;deleted&gt; shopping before getting to the gate - I doubt can be "sorted soon"):

"Teething Problems - Ok there's been a few problems at the start, but they may be sorted soon". and then it will be the best airport in the region

Edited by Youbloodybeauty

Looks like the majority think it's pretty crap then!

thought as much.............

I think it will improve as they retrofit and get things working more smoothly, in my opinion it stands no chance of being the best airport in the region from a travelers point of view.

I think it will improve as they retrofit and get things working more smoothly, in my opinion it stands no chance of being the best airport in the region from a travelers point of view.

That's right, they "think", but I doubt that even a majority of people who voted have even been to Suvarnabhumi, much less flew in and out. The majority of voters are likely just voting based on what they've read, not experienced. Also, sorry to be so blunt, but your poll was also pretty crap. You didn't really give a middle-of-the-road choice. There should have been an option of something like the airport will be good, or will be acceptable, but you went from "it will be the best airport" to "An Embarrassment". If you'd given a choice in between those, I'd bet the results would have been quite a bit different. Better yet, have a scale of 1 to 10 and then you can properly gauge what people think.

But in the end I don't think it really matters much what public opinion is as everyone has a difference in opinion. I don't really care if it is the best airport or not. There are a few things that I look for in an airport and as long as the airport performs well in those few areas, I don't really care how good or bad it is in other areas.

Anyways, the airport has only been open for one month and most of the experiences during that time are likely not so typical of what the experiences will be in the coming months and years as the airport is finished and then as passenger numbers grow. I don't think anyone can predict exactly how much it will improve in the near future.

That's right, they "think", but I doubt that even a majority of people who voted have even been to Suvarnabhumi, much less flew in and out. The majority of voters are likely just voting based on what they've read, not experienced. Also, sorry to be so blunt, but your poll was also pretty crap. You didn't really give a middle-of-the-road choice. There should have been an option of something like the airport will be good, or will be acceptable, but you went from "it will be the best airport" to "An Embarrassment". If you'd given a choice in between those, I'd bet the results would have been quite a bit different. Better yet, have a scale of 1 to 10 and then you can properly gauge what people think.

But in the end I don't think it really matters much what public opinion is as everyone has a difference in opinion. I don't really care if it is the best airport or not. There are a few things that I look for in an airport and as long as the airport performs well in those few areas, I don't really care how good or bad it is in other areas.

Anyways, the airport has only been open for one month and most of the experiences during that time are likely not so typical of what the experiences will be in the coming months and years as the airport is finished and then as passenger numbers grow. I don't think anyone can predict exactly how much it will improve in the near future.

I dont know what poll you saw. The one I saw had THREE options!!!

Edited by JacknDanny

[

Well you said it!

Why are you so keen to extol the virtues of this Godforsaken place? As I sat on my steel seat at the gate looking at the bare rough concrete pillars, I was reminded of an unfortunate few hours dealing with the police in Stuttgart at the last World Cup... :D

Is the cost of decorating that high in these parts?? :D

I'm not so keen to defend it. I'm just passing on my subjective view based on my experience of the place.

Perhaps I'm easier to please. I don't know.

Or perhaps - as I suspect - I'm less inclined to be quick to find fault with anything new and unfamiliar :o

I dont know what poll you saw. The one I saw had THREE options!!!

Yes, there were three options, but options 1 and 2 were nearly the same thing. There was no middle-of-the-road option which was noted also by several other people in this thread besides myself. It was either you love the airport or you hate it. Thus a large number of people couldn't vote or had to choose the closest option, but which didn't truly reflect their full opinion. I don't think the airport will ever be the best in the region, but I still chose that option. Someone else with the same opinion as me may have elected to vote for the third option even though the airport wasn't that bad just because they focused on the " best in the region" aspect of the poll. The poll was fundamentally flawed and so no true inference of people's opinions can be derived by it.

Come on now,

They're puting in another 100 toilets, (eventually),

Feel the love, :o:D

Actually I heard it was 200 toilets. And to be completed in only 45 days, though certainly won't hold my breath on them being completed in that sort of timeframe.

The choices are a little bit limiting. I voted for "embarassing" but don't know if I agree with the reasons.

I've travelled a fair amount and I like airports that are reasonably easy to negotiate. This place is just way too big. It looks like it was designed to be an airplane construction factory! It's intimidating.

Flying out of the airport was difficult with a lot of area to cover from entering the building. Arriving back was easier and more efficient.

Some of the employees who were standing around to "help" arrivals didn't speak any English!!

Hopefully with some time, things will improve.

Come on now,

They're puting in another 100 toilets, (eventually),

Feel the love, :o:D

Actually I heard it was 200 toilets. And to be completed in only 45 days, though certainly won't hold my breath on them being completed in that sort of timeframe.

Yes its supposed to be 200 toilets that cost 2 mil. baht a piece. To be completed in 45 days? I doubt it, more like 45 months and may cost up to 3 mil. each (cost of living/tea money increase).

How about getting those mobile toilets you usually see at the beer gardens?? :D