Gigabit Ethernet in Pattaya

Danny2462

So I'd like to install a better WiFi in my house, but I have no idea how to do it, what it will cost, and if it's even possible. Right now I have crappy 17 Mbps "fiber2u", which is really not enough. So I'd like to know everything about ISPs in Pattaya. What is the best(fastest) option available? How much will it cost? What will I need to buy? I live a 2 minute drive south from Ambassador, if that matters.

Edited by Danny2462

In the real world wifi may not keep up with even the "crappy" 17mbs fibre that you have from your ISP, as the more devices you have the less bandwidth is available to each of them, and any mixture of g/n devices will also reduce speed unless set up properly.

But why do you think that you need more than 17mbs? I have that from my ADSL and it's plenty for me.

Assuming that your wifi itself is not the bottle-neck and that your 17mbs fibre really is bad, I dont think that you will have many other options where you are. But have you run speed tests to Bangkok servers using an ethernet connection to the router in order to work out what speed you are really getting? Maybe your fibre connection is just faulty? Have you asked your ISP to check it?

Never heard about a 17 (!) Mbit fiber2u.

Crude number.

What are actual rates measured? (examples please)

What the hell are you expecting?

What are your applications for that?

Are you running an IT company?

Gigabit? Either you are dreaming or have very deep pockets.

I could provide details about a professional leased line company who serves a German IPTV provider here in Thailand.

I have no idea what it will cost, but surely in the upper five digit range per month.

Some ISPs provide gigabit fibre, but you don't really expect any wonders on international connections.

What you could expect is viewing 500 youtube videos simultaneously biggrin.png

Edited by KhunBENQ

CAT "C internet"

100/5 Mbps = 7,500 per month +VAT

200/50 Mbps = 26,900 per month +VAT (Fix 1 IP)

They also have 1 Gbps available, but it would need to be applied for as a special service:

Data communication speed is ranged from 64 Kbps to 1 Gbps. The bandwidth can be burstable as needed. All type of multimedia (data, video, and voice) transmission can be supported with CAT Ethernet, business information is well protected with an advanced security system.

CAT "C internet"

They also have 1 Gbps available, but it would need to be applied for as a special service:

Data communication speed is ranged from 64 Kbps to 1 Gbps. The bandwidth can be burstable as needed. All type of multimedia (data, video, and voice) transmission can be supported with CAT Ethernet, business information is well protected with an advanced security system.

These offers are avaible in Na Jomtien too ?

CAT "C internet"

They're on offer all over Thailand. Those prices were from their recent promo leaflet. If you're lucky, they already have fiber optic cables in your area. If you're not, you have to pay extra to have lines pulled to your area. All it takes is a trip to the CAT office (on Pattaya Tai just east of the 3rd Road intersection) to find out.

Edited by tropo

What is Ethernet? am i missing something?

Irony about the unlucky wording (obviously meant internet connection) or really too young to know what ethernet is?

One of the most fundamental networking technologies.

Never saw an ethernet cable?

Gigabit ethernet connector, still the fastest interface on many PCs/laptops.

Generation wireless? biggrin.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet

Pro's need a lot of ethernet cables:

server_spaghetti_4.jpg

What is Ethernet? am i missing something?

Irony about the unlucky wording (obviously meant internet connection) or really too young to know what ethernet is?

One of the most fundamental networking technologies.

Never saw an ethernet cable?

Gigabit ethernet connector, still the fastest interface on many PCs/laptops.

Generation wireless? biggrin.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet

Pro's need a lot of ethernet cables:

server_spaghetti_4.jpg

Sorry, I should have made it clear - It has nothing to do with age. The blue text (including the word "ethernet") in my post was taken directly from the CAT website.

CAT "C internet"

They're on offer all over Thailand. Those prices were from their recent promo leaflet. If you're lucky, they already have fiber optic cables in your area. If you're not, you have to pay extra to have lines pulled to your area. All it takes is a trip to the CAT office (on Pattaya Tai just east of the 3rd Road intersection) to find out.

CAT is only active in the city centers, and leaves everything outside that to resellers, which may have service in your area or not.

Live in Nong Plalai just off the highway 36, and however the CAT cable runs all along the highway, recognizable from the CAT junction boxes, I can not get CAT to service me.

Edited by TheCruncher

I was referring to the thread title not to your post smile.png

The thread is a dead horse anyway as the starter has not returned after four days.

But nice we exchanged opinions tongue.png

Probably took one look at the prices and ran.

• 3 weeks later...

The follow up question would be, regardless of speed mentioned, what's the actual speed once exiting Thailand. I notice I get good speed when I speedtest anything in Thailand, but trying to reach US/UK servers it drops... significantly.

Do all TelCos use a same shared line for exiting Thailand to reach the main global hubs?

The follow up question would be, regardless of speed mentioned, what's the actual speed once exiting Thailand. I notice I get good speed when I speedtest anything in Thailand, but trying to reach US/UK servers it drops... significantly.

Do all TelCos use a same shared line for exiting Thailand to reach the main global hubs?

They don't all use the same line for exiting Thailand, though that may change if the single gateway is active, but I think at the end of the day it all goes over the same undersea cable to certain parts of the world.

And there were reports a few weeks ago that one of those cables was damaged.

They don't all use the same line for exiting Thailand, though that may change if the single gateway is active, but I think at the end of the day it all goes over the same undersea cable to certain parts of the world.

Not quite. If you add a plural it makes more sense:

but I think at the end of the day it all goes over the same undersea cables to certain parts of the world.

It's a complex mesh of undersea cables, bigger ones, smaller ones.

But indeed there are some "major highways" and one was reported to be defect.

The majority of traffic obviously still goes through Singapore and via the Pacific to US westcoast.

For the end of this year a major new cable is expected to be ready towards Europe (SEA-ME-WE-5, 24 Tbit/s) which should bring significant improvement.

post-99794-0-17477900-1459052653_thumb.j

Not quite. If you add a plural it makes more sense:

but I think at the end of the day it all goes over the same undersea cables to certain parts of the world.

It's a complex mesh of undersea cables, bigger ones, smaller ones.

But indeed there are some "major highways" and one was reported to be defect.

The majority of traffic obviously still goes through Singapore and via the Pacific to US westcoast.

For the end of this year a major new cable is expected to be ready towards Europe (SEA-ME-WE-5, 24 Tbit/s) which should bring significant improvement.

attachicon.gifcables.jpg

I don't think US bound traffic goes through Singapore... it branches off before it hits Singapore, then goes north toward Hong Kong, then east across the Pacific Ocean.

Cables to Hong Kong are fairly small bandwidth and old.

http://cablemap.info/

My data to US always via Singapore (land cable) and then the details get lost.

Next stop LA.

Tracing route to usa.gov [216.128.241.47]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms ADSL [192.168.1.1]
2 2 ms 3 ms 2 ms node-dfl.pool-125-24.dynamic.totbb.net [125.24.68.1]
3 4 ms 2 ms 2 ms 172.17.14.213
4 12 ms 11 ms 11 ms 203.113.24.221
5 11 ms 11 ms 11 ms hundred-gi-0-6-0-1.kkm-gw-01.totisp.net [203.114.118.34]
6 12 ms 11 ms 11 ms HUN-gi-0-4-0-0.kkm-core-01.totiig.net [203.190.251.137]
7 40 ms 43 ms 43 ms in-addr.totiig.net [203.190.250.217]
8 40 ms 43 ms 39 ms in-addr.totiig.net [203.190.250.217]
9 38 ms 38 ms 38 ms xe-1-3-2.singapore2.sin.seabone.net [213.144.176.10]