Canada : spouses of Canadians to get immediate permanent residency status

Spouses of Canadians to get immediate permanent residency status :

"The government has announced plans which would allow foreign, sponsored spouses of Canadians to become permanent residents as soon as they arrive in Canada . . .

. . . The paper explains that under the existing system, spouses of Canadians become conditional permanent residents, and need to wait for two years to elapse before being granted full permanent resident status."

• 3 weeks later...

Does this mean my wife and I can move to Canada and she can become a citizen?

Under these new rules she would get permanent residency (which, practically speaking, gives her almost all the same rights bar the ability to vote or run for public office etc) automatically.

I presume that they achieve this by bundling the PR application with the application for sponsorship so that they are considered things that must go hand in hand (if-this-then-that) as opposed to things that are considered in isolation. If so this would be a welcome triumph for common sense as it would streamline paperwork while also cutting the whole path towards citizenship by 2 years for those eligible.

Edited by Trembly
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...

I have a question for anyone that has gone through the permanent resident application process in Singapore. How long do they keep your (wife's) passport after it has been sent? We would like to use it within a few months of the application, and even do a visa application as well.