Mother head teacher in uk Primary school

baneko

What are her posibilities in Thaiand? Retired teacher...63 but young. Knows a little Thai. Great teacher....has a teaching degree.....been in the uk system all of her life....planning hua hin area. English teacher.....she would do for little salary.

OP there is forum about teaching in Thailand. Also another forum specific to Hua Hin region. You might obtain more help there from teachers. Yes she will need a working permit but those guys will explain process fully.

OP there is forum about teaching in Thailand. Also another forum specific to Hua Hin region. You might obtain more help there from teachers. Yes she will need a working permit but those guys will explain process fully.

Move to the Teaching forum.

What are her posibilities in Thaiand? Retired teacher...63 but young. Knows a little Thai. Great teacher....has a teaching degree.....been in the uk system all of her life....planning hua hin area. English teacher.....she would do for little salary

Mandatory retirement age for Thai teachers is 60 but I know foreign teachers still teaching at the age of 68. I've a female colleague who is 64.

As your mother is a qualified teacher, she might land a position as a senior teacher in an international school. A new international school has opened its door in Hua Hin recently. Google for it and let mother send an application.

Best of luck.

What are her posibilities in Thaiand? Retired teacher...63 but young. Knows a little Thai. Great teacher....has a teaching degree.....been in the uk system all of her life....planning hua hin area. English teacher.....she would do for little salary

Mandatory retirement age for Thai teachers is 60 but I know foreign teachers still teaching at the age of 68. I've a female colleague who is 64.

As your mother is a qualified teacher, she might land a position as a senior teacher in an international school. A new international school has opened its door in Hua Hin recently. Google for it and let mother send an application.

Best of luck.

She has been a teacher for 30yrs plus. Head teacher around 5yrs and also a special needs teacher.

I dont think shes to concerned about money and would probably be happier in a thai school possibly just part time. Are there options available?

Best of luck.

She has been a teacher for 30yrs plus. Head teacher around 5yrs and also a special needs teacher.

I dont think shes to concerned about money and would probably be happier in a thai school possibly just part time. Are there options available?

How does she intend to support herself re: visas. Remember it's unlawful to work on a retirement visa. All kinds of work also require a work permit, including volunteer work. If she works for a school, she could get a non-immigrant B visa, but not sure about the minimum number of teaching hours required for that. There's still plenty of work around though.

I'm sure she would find work in an international school and do very well for herself financially

I am sure that considering her experience and qualifications that even despite her age that she would be offered a position in a Thai school with an English Program if she wants something with a lesser workload.

Part-time positions don't really exist for foreign staff in Thai schools. So, in this case if she only wants part-time work maybe a language school would be perfect for her? No real prep needed, come in and teach and then go home, none of the extra headaches that come with teaching.

Even at her age she is in a very strong position when it comes to gaining employment here.

Honestly, skill and experience mean very little here. Most managers won;t hire anyone more qualified than themselves, out of fear of being replaced. Most schools wont consider a teacher over 48 years old. She may find a job but will need to search for it.

Best of luck.

How does she intend to support herself re: visas. Remember it's unlawful to work on a retirement visa. All kinds of work also require a work permit, including volunteer work. If she works for a school, she could get a non-immigrant B visa, but not sure about the minimum number of teaching hours required for that. There's still plenty of work around though.

She has a UK pension from time as a teacher and will also get the old age pension soon.

Shes basically looking for something so she doesnt get bored. Obviously if a visa and wp was supplied that would be a bonus.

I have made her aware both paid and unpaid work requires a wp.

Hopefully her experience as a teacher may be of benefit to others.

She has a UK pension from time as a teacher and will also get the old age pension soon.

Shes basically looking for something so she doesnt get bored. Obviously if a visa and wp was supplied that would be a bonus.

And once she relocates over here, her UK pensions(s) will be frozen.

Why would that be? Her pension was a pay in pension from the UK. The old age pension can be payed into a UK account. There are no concerns regarding this.

Why would that be? Her pension was a pay in pension from the UK. The old age pension can be payed into a UK account. There are no concerns regarding this.
I think they mean any future increase in said pension would be frozen not the pension itself. Also winter fuel allowence would go. But thats if she tells them. Edited by bim

I think they mean any future increase in said pension would be frozen not the pension itself. Also winter fuel allowence would go. But thats if she tells them.

If the UK is anything like Australia, they will know she's out of the country and for how long. The social security knew my mother's movements when she was visiting last time.

Re the ladies pension

It is very likely this lady receives (or will receive) two pensions.

1. An occupational pension based on her final salary as a Teacher. This pension is likely to be index linked and will not be "frozen"
  2. The State Old Age Pension. This pension would be "frozen" from the time the lady leaves the UK to take residence in Thailand.( ie. No annual cost of living increases will be payable)

Re the ladies pension

It is very likely this lady receives (or will receive) two pensions.

• An occupational pension based on her final salary as a Teacher. This pension is likely to be index linked and will not be "frozen"
  • The State Old Age Pension. This pension would be "frozen" from the time the lady leaves the UK to take residence in Thailand.( ie. No annual cost of living increases will be payable)

Thats correct....2 pensions. The old age pension is unlikely to rise much...thanks for the post.

What are her posibilities in Thaiand? Retired teacher...63 but young. Knows a little Thai. Great teacher....has a teaching degree.....been in the uk system all of her life....planning hua hin area. English teacher.....she would do for little salary.

Honestly, if your mum is an experienced educator as you say then working in a Thai school will probably kill her through the sheer frustration of that simple fact.. It isn't education here not like your mum's used to! I suggest an EP or international school as a MINIMUM.. Good luck to her. Edited by casualbiker