'Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder' so they say!

BSJ

Well when it comes to Moto Guzzi I am thinking that quote cannot apply at all! calling it a 2 wheeled styling abortion would be more to the point.

post-63954-0-24734700-1457680545_thumb.j

* Front brake lines flapping in the breeze.

* A big plastic brick in front of the sump.

* Off-road type rear suspension units that look like after thoughts.

* And that tank cover.....................OMG! Ugly.

Yet the road test guy wasn't all that perturbed by this!

Maybe the Chinese have bought up all the good Italian designers and the western companies have just become copyists. western food is now all the same crap, the film industry is special effects no story rubbish and now bikes are on their way down the same toilet. Even the new Triumphs have their BS dummy carbs and other modernised nostalgia.

I think the future lies with the Chinese companies now, like Benelli, or Stallion and even my cheapo Lifan isn't trying to be anything but a simple dirt bike.

Either that or we buy old bikes and get the spanners out....or there is still the Enfield Bullet.....

Let's face it if the Italians can't make a good looking bike, we are all DOOMED!!

Maybe the Chinese have bought up all the good Italian designers and the western companies have just become copyists. western food is now all the same crap, the film industry is special effects no story rubbish and now bikes are on their way down the same toilet. Even the new Triumphs have their BS dummy carbs and other modernised nostalgia.

I think the future lies with the Chinese companies now, like Benelli, or Stallion and even my cheapo Lifan isn't trying to be anything but a simple dirt bike.

Either that or we buy old bikes and get the spanners out....or there is still the Enfield Bullet.....

Let's face it if the Italians can't make a good looking bike, we are all DOOMED!!

Yeah coz the Chinese never copy anything.

Of course they do, in fact that's all they do...but they have the business sense to copy decent stuff. It has always puzzled me why companies spend millions developing a new bike/car and then make it look DELETED. With CAD-CAM there is no need to do this, the services of a good designer cost peanuts per vehicle and I think people who buy this ugly do-do's must be drinkers, or "beauty is in the eye of the beer holder"

What could be nicer than owning a good looking bike, you would pay extra for something special? Instead consumers are left with a choice of 4 equally ugly bikes.....

Edited by seedy
language

Of course they do, in fact that's all they do...but they have the business sense to copy decent stuff. It has always puzzled me why companies spend millions developing a new bike/car and then make it look shit. With CAD-CAM there is no need to do this, the services of a good designer cost peanuts per vehicle and I think people who buy this ugly do-do's must be drinkers, or "beauty is in the eye of the beer holder"

What could be nicer than owning a good looking bike, you would pay extra for something special? Instead consumers are left with a choice of 4 equally ugly bikes.....

So you think modern bikes look DELETED ? I would say modern bikes look way better than those in the past. I guess looks are subjective, but I'm more leaning on the side of you're very old, so anything new is bad.

Edited by seedy
language

Of course they do, in fact that's all they do...but they have the business sense to copy decent stuff. It has always puzzled me why companies spend millions developing a new bike/car and then make it look shit. With CAD-CAM there is no need to do this, the services of a good designer cost peanuts per vehicle and I think people who buy this ugly do-do's must be drinkers, or "beauty is in the eye of the beer holder"

So you think modern bikes look DELETED ? I would say modern bikes look way better than those in the past. I guess looks are subjective, but I'm more leaning on the side of you're very old, so anything new is bad.

He probably didn't get his magic mushrooms for breakfast.....or maybe he did???

I don't think we can poo poo new bikes because they are the current crop of you beaut designs even if they are transformer inspired or created by some designer who sits in a dimly lit room with a multitude of computer screens in front of him.

Something like the one in the pix looks impractical, probably difficult to ride stretched out like that but it has an appeal with it's smooth flowing lines that evades other motorcycles.

I don't want to own it but I sure would like to ride it!

post-63954-0-61446700-1457911510_thumb.j

Then back when I was a kid this was considered.....weird!

post-63954-0-66861200-1457911821_thumb.j

Taste is for sure subjective. But to think that bikes were better in the ' Good Old Days' is lunacy. My BSA would die if you rode it beside a pool of water. Lucas was not called the Prince of Darkness for nothing. Drum brakes were garbage. Forks and shocks equally bad. Reliability in modern bikes head and shoulders above those of yesteryear. Brakes actually brake, bikes actually handle. But if you are locked into the Stone Age, and have never ridden a modern bike, you have no frame of reference for comparison. Buy a 'new' bike based on 40 year old technology is not a new bike. It is a copy of an outdated design. Personally I do not like most new bike styles - except the Honda 1100 which is a design based on the 70's CB750. Just like the look. The new Ducatis - like to Monster above - look to me like a Bulldog with a Hunchback. But that is my taste.Rode HD for too long I guess. End of the Day - buy and ride what pleases you. But face reality. Which is that Old technology is just that - Old.

Let's put this in perspective. Not all old bikes handle bad or don't have enough braking power. Take the BMW69S, no vibrations and fantastic handling...like riding on a cloud. Or the Guzzi LeMans, a handling that is legendary with its Tonti frame (also on the SP, G5 and smaller Guzzis), plus very good linked braking system. 2 bikes I have personally ridden.

For me the thing with old, or should I say classic bikes, is that they are visceral and exclusive. You can buy a supermodern R1 or Panigale, but at the end of the day, you'll have one of many thousands of bikes that look just the same, apart from a few bolt on cosmetic changes.

Of my Guzzi G5, only 857 made it into production for civilian use. Many are gone, others transformed into cafe racers or sold for parts, so there aren't that many around anymore...not in original condition like mine anyways.biggrin.png

I don't say that everything new is ugly. I love the MV F3 and Panigale and I quite like the new Scrambler and Triumph Street Twin, but they still have to earn their place in motorcycle history.

And if we really want to talk ugly....bah.gifcrazy.gif

post-159090-0-35498700-1457930201_thumb.

post-159090-0-60447000-1457930308_thumb.

^^^ I had to go back and check the title of this Thread ...

That's a little bit harsh on the Honda double abortion in OmegaRacers post. But I fear there is even more horrors to come from Honda in the future. I used to admire "Soichiro Honda" for being industrious and creative, a real go getter. He has been dead for many years. Now the accountants run Honda! They may be looking at washing machines and refrigerators next!

^^^ I had to go back and check the title of this Thread ...

That's a little bit harsh on the Honda double abortion in OmegaRacers post. But I fear there is even more horrors to come from Honda in the future. I used to admire "Soichiro Honda" for being industrious and creative, a real go getter. He has been dead for many years. Now the accountants run Honda! They may be looking at washing machines and refrigerators next!

You are right. That Honda - Vultus ? I think. I had that in Mexico circa 1972 from the Zona Roja. Nothing Personal

To the OP and the title of this thread:-

Wash Your Mouth Out With Soap And Water,

go and stand in the corner of the classroom with your face facing the wall. Recite 500 times that those Victory full dresser abortions are disgusting.

Your taste buds have a serious problem, and you need to seek medical advice asap.

Those new 1400 Cali's are goddam awesome.

ps, Guzzi's are God's gift to motorcycling...

To the OP and the title of this thread:-

Wash Your Mouth Out With Soap And Water,

go and stand in the corner of the classroom with your face facing the wall. Recite 500 times that those Victory full dresser abortions are disgusting.

Your taste buds have a serious problem, and you need to seek medical advice asap.

Those new 1400 Cali's are goddam awesome.

ps, Guzzi's are God's gift to motorcycling...

Perhaps just a slight bias that may make you lean a tad towards the brand? Maybe not. :-)

But if I had a choice between the Guzzi and the Victory, I'd go for the Guzzi. Although the Victory's hot Indian sister is a looker.