50 In Five Months...need Visa Help Now

I currently live in Thailand, have been for almost three years.

I am on a tourist Visa now.

I usually do the 30 day border runs.

I will be 50 in March, but I have concerns as to what to do between now and March when I can file for my retirment Visa.

I have all the requirments for a retirement Visa, but have to wait until I am fifty.

Not sure how I can stay here legally.

I am an American 49 1/2 that hopes to figure out a way to stay without having to return to the USA for 90 days.

Any help will be grately appreciated.

Rudy Estrada

I currently live in Thailand, have been for almost three years.

I am on a tourist Visa now.

I usually do the 30 day border runs.

I will be 50 in March, but I have concerns as to what to do between now and March when I can file for my retirment Visa.

I have all the requirments for a retirement Visa, but have to wait until I am fifty.

Not sure how I can stay here legally.

I am an American 49 1/2 that hopes to figure out a way to stay without having to return to the USA for 90 days.

Any help will be grately appreciated.

Rudy Estrada

JR Texas (51, USA, living in China):

I was told by officials at the Thailand Consulate in Hong Kong that they will issue double entry tourist visas if you show them that you have a valid air ticket leaving Thailand. I have read that you can get a similar visa in Kuala Lumpar in Malaysia (but better check around first as things are not clear at the moment). That would solve your challenge. But you do not even need a double entry tourist visa. A single entry tourist visa will get you 60 days with a 30 day extension. You can then do three border runs (30 plus 30 plus 30). That will allow you to say 180 days in Thailand, more than enough to meet your needs. But I am new to this forum. You should take the advice of some of the senior members.

Best of luck,

JR

As said - obtain a visa from a Royal Thai Consulate. Not hard to do for people with the funds and not having to use the same Consulate. Believe all will issue you at least one tourist visa which would cover you for the next 90 days. That would open up either another visa or 30 day entry without visa to get you to the age 50 date.

As said - obtain a visa from a Royal Thai Consulate. Not hard to do for people with the funds and not having to use the same Consulate. Believe all will issue you at least one tourist visa which would cover you for the next 90 days. That would open up either another visa or 30 day entry without visa to get you to the age 50 date.

Thanks for the info...I'm feeling better about this situation and will obtain a visa from a Royal Thai Consulate in a couple of weeks. I will post my findings in the event others might have a similar situation.

Cheers,

Rudy

I would try to apply for a multiple non-immigrant O - visa on basis 'to investigate retirement-options'. Explain (in writing) that you have been travelling already in Thailand but would like to seriously find a suitable place to retire once you will be 50 y.o. next March.

If granted, this allows you over the following 12 months to enter as often as you wish and get every time permit to stay for 90 days. You than can leave Thailand in January, and get upon return a permission to stay till April. Enough time to apply for retirement-Extention in March.

Think it is worthwhile to try, if the non-imm O is not granted, than go for tourist-visa as mentioned.

Basics see below link, but do not try in Penang, perhaps Kuala Lumpur might listen to you.

http://www.thaivisa.com/422.0.html

Edited by Axel

• 2 weeks later...
I would try to apply for a multiple non-immigrant O - visa on basis 'to investigate retirement-options'. Explain (in writing) that you have been travelling already in Thailand but would like to seriously find a suitable place to retire once you will be 50 y.o. next March.

If granted, this allows you over the following 12 months to enter as often as you wish and get every time permit to stay for 90 days. You than can leave Thailand in January, and get upon return a permission to stay till April. Enough time to apply for retirement-Extention in March.

Think it is worthwhile to try, if the non-imm O is not granted, than go for tourist-visa as mentioned.

Basics see below link, but do not try in Penang, perhaps Kuala Lumpur might listen to you.

Thanks Axel. I will give this a try and post my findings. This sounds like the best option so far.

I sure hope this will resolve my Visa problems.

Regards,

Rudy

Axel's plan is a good idea. It is much likely to be sucessful in a consular in the US, Europe (Hull is know to be very helpful) or Australia (eg Brisbane). If a trip to any of these places makes sense in your plans then you have a good change of a one year visa.

I agree, go for Axel's plan. The worst that could happen is that you get refused a non O and end up getting a tourist visa anyway. But scoring a 1 year Non O would be so much better for you.

Like others said, Hull in the UK is a good consulate to target, also I got a 1 year Non O from Brisbane Australia last year ( based on only having a friend in Thailand ) I also hear Perth Australia is another good place, but stay away from the btiches that work in the Thai consulate in Sydney.

Edited by aussiestyle1983