Canadian tourist attacked in Pattaya

rooster59

It maybe just an excuse he didn't pay for drinks or overcharged for extra drinks he never had as many bars do out there.

I never see anyone refusing to pay the bill unless they have put extra drinks on that they never ordered.

No excuse for violence even if they did, just call the cops.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A stupid move to try and get out of paying for drinks. If I tried to steal from Thais in this way I would expect the same treatment.

I really like the Thai style of getting a bill rather than having to pay for every single drink every single time you buy one like in pubs in other countries, where you have to wait at the bar to be served, then wait for the waiter to pour your drinks and then pay for your drinks and then have to wait again for your change.

If idiot farangs keep behaving like this it will ruin it for everyone. A couple of Canadian girls tried it in a go go a couple of weeks ago and I have personally seen it many times. Come on a holiday to Thailand and steal from the locals. Scummy.

Of course you are 100% sure the bill was not "padded" And of course YOU would pay this "padded" bill because the system is so much better here than other countries.

It maybe just an excuse he didn't pay for drinks or overcharged for extra drinks he never had as many bars do out there.

I never see anyone refusing to pay the bill unless they have put extra drinks on that they never ordered.

No excuse for violence even if they did, just call the cops.

The mistreatment of foreigners is getting out of hand. I don't believe all these 'running away' stories. Thais are frustrated and jealous of foreigners having and them not having what they want so they beat hell out of you. Don't hear so much about sober farangs being beat up. hmmm.

As you people may guess by my name i have an interest in a bar in Pattaya.

I can say i have seen both sides of this here are a couple of examples.

Seen guys run out of the bar yes run trying to escape paying their bills.

Also when brought back into the bar to pay the bill, either caught by one of the ladies or a motorbike taxi friend. (Must bars have them).

This certain certain guy continued arguing and shouting about everything but his bill, he then went to use the toilet which he continued to smash the toilet cistern and pan. Anyway to save him from a beating from the ladies that he was verbally abusing all the time, the police were called.

He was then ordered by the police to pay 4,000 baht which he did, his initial bar bill was less than 1,000 Baht.

We also had a regular who was caught taking tickets out of his bin and putting them into his pocket, so the ladies just showed him the play back on the camera and then he paid up for all the missing tickets that night.

I have also been to other bars where i have seen some staff putting and extra ticket in my bin, then it's time to drink up pay the extra 70 baht for thee beer i never got and never return.

Anyway just anyone can pay for a drink every time or use the bin, it is entirely up to the individual.

Also if anyone does get a problem then just ask to look at the CCTV, all bars have to have it installed by law.

Here's hoping none of you end up in his situation hit-the-fan.gif.

Stay safe and enjoy the good life while you can.

So this guy deserves a beating for not paying his bill then do you think? How about press charges for theft and vandalism. I hope your mates' bar gets shut down. Just because someone tries to do a runner, doesn't mean they deserve to end up in the hospital really does it? Like you say, use the CCTV and put his mugshot on display if needs be.

How about train your hired muscle to just restrain the guy rather than batter them. Probably a better business model I'd have thought as your mate's bar is probably going to cop a lot of flack now for damaging the stellar image of Pattaya haha

What are you talking about ???????

1, Regarding this Canadian guy, who said it was my mates bar ?

2, The police fined him on the spot for vandalising the toilet, price agreed by the bar owner and him.

3, The guy who did vanalise the toilet did NOT get NOT i repeat Not get any physical damage done to him.

4, Hired muscle ?

5, Where did i write that he deserved a beating, you need to get to Specsavers you muppet hahaha.

OK so might not be your mate, I'll try and not jump to conclusions so fast.

It just seems from the tone of your posts so far that you don't necessarily denounce violence against customers who act up. I might be wrong about that and if i am i'm sorry.

The hired muscle I talk of is the umpteen guys who appear out of nowhere at the first sign of trouble and start beating the $#it out of the guy causing said trouble. Sometimes they work for the bars legally, sometimes on an "as needed" business.

I get that keeping order in a place like pattaya requires a little more than simply talking sometimes. But this is a case where there is simply no defending what went down. I hope the bar in question gets closed for a good while and the people in charge get stung for this poor chap in the hospital's medical bills.

I'll put specsavers on my list alright haha. Sorry if I came across a bit rude, it's not cool am sorry.

Thanks' for that.

For the record i do not condone violence one bit.

A stupid move to try and get out of paying for drinks. If I tried to steal from Thais in this way I would expect the same treatment.

I really like the Thai style of getting a bill rather than having to pay for every single drink every single time you buy one like in pubs in other countries, where you have to wait at the bar to be served, then wait for the waiter to pour your drinks and then pay for your drinks and then have to wait again for your change.

If idiot farangs keep behaving like this it will ruin it for everyone. A couple of Canadian girls tried it in a go go a couple of weeks ago and I have personally seen it many times. Come on a holiday to Thailand and steal from the locals. Scummy.

Thai style u must be quiet stupid ! Do it in Europe some states in America they would shoot u dead !!

500 baht fine each and sweep it under the carpet quickly.

Why should the Thai who made the citizens arrest of a fleeing, drunken, foreign thief be fined?

And to those who will be claiming the "another final nail in the Thai tourism industry" I reckon that this Pattaya Soi 7 punter WILL be back and won't be put off from returning to Thailand. He will have second thoughts about doing a bill runner next time though.

And even if he doesn't ever return, I don't think any Thais will miss him anyway.

How do you know it was a bill runner? You just assume?

These bar owners that take the law in their own hands should be closed and not allowed to reopen, barred from the business for life.

HUH , you are assuming that the person that tried to "kill" is telling the truth ? did i understand you correctly ? if i did i can not help but to feel you are naive like a six year old . it will all shake out . if the dude did a runner he needs to go to jail , that would hurt him more , but after he has the shxt beat outta him you cannot complain about a tab .

Walking out on a bill is never a good idea. If there's an issue get the tourist police. Get two of their staff to come with you if they think you'll do a runner.

Too many people try to stiff bars of bills that you're assumed guilty right away.

I stand corrected. I also have no idea where it happened. My problem with bars in general in both Pattaya and Bangkok that cater to 'tourists' is that they are generally overpriced and the staff unfriendly or simply indifferent. Sitting around looking at a smart phone; not engaging with the customers and having s surly attitude when spoken to just won't get it . People are voting with their feet. There are still some decent Pubs/Bars around but they are getting fewer and fewer. In 3 years time- Soi Cowboy and Nana Plaza will be gone and Pattaya will have for sale signs/closures that are visible. Just not sustainable- too many other choices in the World that are simply cheaper and more fun.

Dunno what bars you go to in Pattaya but the ones I go to serve icy cold beer for 69 baht, and the friendly staff rip of their clothes and dance naked in air conditioned comfort. What more do you want?

This happened twice to me. Once in Chiang Mai and then in Bangkok. In Chiang Mai they tried to convince me that I didn't pay a bill That I had already paid. Thai drinks are usually puny compared to what I'm used to. Seven little rums add up to about a Mai Thai and a half from where I usually have a drink in the states. They assumed I might be drunk and tried to double up, but I'm a 200lb man with a descent tolerance. Probably to tolerant. Luckily I had made friends with the accounting lady. I simply pointed at her and said try again. She informed them that I had already paid. In Bangkok all I did was be polite and did something I have always done before I leave and double check if I'm in good standing precisly so I don't accidentally skip out on something. A practice I have had anywhere I go for an evening out for a very long time. Some lady in charge then came over and tried to convince me that I had damaged her table. <deleted>? I was polite and a good customer. On that one I just walked away shaking my head. I supposed she could of got a couple of Thais to chase me down, but she knew she was scamming me.

Edited by Hiyaall

i really am tired of everyone bagging thai,i have lived and enjoyed pattya for over 10 yrs.

many foreign guys try to avoid paying bar tabs because so drunk, then get aggressive because they think small thai cant do anythingi tell you now farang causes all the problems and im a farang

Thai style u must be quiet stupid ! Do it in Europe some states in America they would shoot u dead !!

I don't know what your on about.... Running a bar tab is great, and I have done it in many countries...,you just have to ask, and if it's "no" then you pay as you go... Easy enough and no rational to getting shot... Besides, roomuck is talking about Thailand, were "Thai style of billing" is practiced all over, so the comment isn't stupid at all

Next you will be suggesting that restaurants should charge you per dish or beverage... And that doesn't happen anywhere, that I'm aware of.

However, if you are talking about something other than a bar chit, you should be more specific about the point

I stand corrected. I also have no idea where it happened. My problem with bars in general in both Pattaya and Bangkok that cater to 'tourists' is that they are generally overpriced and the staff unfriendly or simply indifferent. Sitting around looking at a smart phone; not engaging with the customers and having s surly attitude when spoken to just won't get it . People are voting with their feet. There are still some decent Pubs/Bars around but they are getting fewer and fewer. In 3 years time- Soi Cowboy and Nana Plaza will be gone and Pattaya will have for sale signs/closures that are visible. Just not sustainable- too many other choices in the World that are simply cheaper and more fun.

Dunno what bars you go to in Pattaya but the ones I go to serve icy cold beer for 69 baht, and the friendly staff rip of their clothes and dance naked in air conditioned comfort. What more do you want?

Your local bars sound great... I will have to escape the missus, and get my ass over too Pattaya, as I'm missing out big time.?

In Phuket, most bars have dance pools in them, but I rarely ever see them used, other than for the occasional drunken race up the pole to touch the roof, (yes...,farangs, but harmless fun)

Maybe they were trying to make him pay for drinks he never had or wanted - this happened to me in Patpong, Bangkok.

Let's hear the victims side of the story. Everybody knows Thai bar security is out for blood.

well it looks that mr.canada is here the victim.....but maybe he is not...nobody cuts u up with a knife for nothing...( except in an argument or in a robbery )...I never been to pattaya ( and have no wish to go to this area after all these reports similair arise )

but a picture arrives:

there is a bar owner shady guy half or full criminal who sells alcohol and or drugs and women to western /eastern falangs....

so the barworker might operate on own bill ( he or she gets a comission on every drink sold and is responsible for the money )

so now here he comes mr. supersmart canada nitnoi brain...drinks drugs and whores all night and when a bill ( easy several thousand of bhats ) arrive he try to run leaven the barworker with a big bill open to his boss mr shady chinese ass...e ,

maybe already some other debts open in the past ..... so now he had enough the smile is over and he takes his old friend the knife and teaches mr superminibrain canada a life lesson in proper behavior (= u consume and u pay for it ) ....

is everywhere the same u get what u deserve....

sorry not bashing on thais constantly...

The smart punter pays his drinks as presented. This way you learn three things: that you are paying only for what you drink; that the staff is my sticky with your change, and that you are not getting charged for lady drinks that you did not approve of beforehand.

I can almost guarantee you that this dispute was over lady drink checks being put in this guy's bin....and or being charged for drinks that he didn't drink.

Rememberi: once a Thai decides that they are going to cheat you of an amount of money, in their minds, that money IS ALREADY THEIRS. That's why they get so angry and fight. Because YOU cheated THEM of the money that they have already schemed to cheat you of. Oh, you falang! You come Thailand, you no want pay. You go Falangland!

Edited by soistalker

Allegedly refused to pay. Let's hear the Canadian's side of the story before passing judgment on him. Regardless, violence against him totally unwarranted and utterly stupid for the Thai to try further attack him in a Police station!

I have no sympathy for thieves being taught a lesson. In western countries it would be a little slap on the wrist and released to steal again.

The Thais know how to deal with these types.

I know if I want to do a runner on the bill, if I get caught I will probably cop a beating. It acts as a deterrent.

You are condoning attack on a man that could have easily killed him. Iron bars that Thais often use as weapon can end a life of the victim, especially if iron bar strikes temple of mans head.

You are excusing violence towards a foreigner in alternation over a bar bill. You approve deadly violence.

It is a mystery how you get away with this type of advocacy for violence, possibly deadly violence on public web board.

Here, quote from Medicinenet:

'Epidural hematoma occurs when there is bleeding between the dura mater (a tough fibrous layer of tissue between the brain and skull) and the skull bone. These occur when arteries are torn as a result of a blow to the head, and injury in the temple area is a common cause.'

Head injuries often kill a person. Your post approves these types of attacks, attacks over a bar bill.

Can I ask you, if this man dies, or next man beaten up and injured over bar bill, would you keep depending the perps? Like you said, beating teaches them a lesson correct?

For one, you don't have to always believe the narrative in the news. As reported, the tourist wanted to leave without paying a drink.

It happened many times that a waiter comes and serves a drink to a customer who refuses it. Maybe a second or third drink.

But even though the patron does not drink the glass, they charge for it.

That may be the case. Look at the man on the picture, apparently he does not look like a bum who'll leave without paying the bill.

I have to comment on this I have be going to bangkok and pattaya for the last 10 yrs and I have seen some shit with the farangs drinking and acting like ass holes really i don't drink but I party my ass off no drugs noither like to go to the clubs people watch soi 6 you name it I do it but i mind my bussines never had any truble with the thais or the ladyboys none of that you have to rember your in a nother coutry....lol I was on walking street one night and some young farangs were messing with the ladyboys one took off the shoe and beat the shit out of them, the ladyboy was minding his bussiness see when you drink you think right Iam not nocking the drinkers just but careful Iam a member of AA 20yrs come join when in bbk or pattaya you don't need to drink to have fun.