Challenging Times for Thai Tourism, Keeping Tourist Safe

rooster59

Challenging Times for Thai Tourism, Keeping Tourist Safe

BANGKOK -Dr. David Beirman a Senior Lecturer in Tourism, University of Technology, Sydney writes that Thailand has a struggle on its hands to maintain its reputation as a safe tourist destination,from civil unrest to terrorism and increasing threats against visitors.

Thailand is among the world’s top tourist destinations, hosting nearly 30 million international visitors in 2015, a rise of nearly 6 million in just a year.

However its growing popularity makes it vulnerable, as the country struggles to balance tourism’s 16 per cent total contribution to its economy annually with potential risks to its visitors, and a poorly regulated industry. Simply put, its reputation is at stake.

Full story: http://www.chiangraitimes.com/challenging-times-for-thai-tourism-keeping-tourist-safe.html

crt.png
-- Chiang Rai Times 2016-03-12

This report comes from the leading nanny state in the world, Australia.

Thailand must love listening to these so called experts from countries that are nowhere near as successful as the Thais concerning tourism, but who feel the need/urge to advise them.

Most of the tourist deaths are caused by their own drunken stupidity, riding motorbikes, drowning etc etc.

it is also a bit much coming from the land of the backpacker murders where tourists were rounded up and shot and buried in the Aussie bush, and a whole lot of other cases. A Thai schoolgirl is still missing and I recall another case where a Thai woman was thrown over a bridge so the crocodiles would eat her.

Maybe this David bloke should concern himself with his own country. He probably hasn't even been to Thailand, but considers himself an expert.

Despite the odd mishap the Thai tourism industry is booming. Bigger than ever.

Edited by Roomuck

When you can get More than 10 to 1 of your home countries money in exchange rates,

people see it as a bargain no matter which country they go to visit,

The trouble for the tourism industry is not enough of them have traveled the world for the same reason as above,

so knowledge of safety and calling a spade a spade does not happen and the lines between information and loss of face

get blurred through the lack of knowledge

Thailand must love listening to these so called experts from countries that are nowhere near as successful as the Thais concerning tourism, but who feel the need/urge to advise them.

Most of the tourist deaths are caused by their own drunken stupidity, riding motorbikes, drowning etc etc.

it is also a bit much coming from the land of the backpacker murders where tourists were rounded up and shot and buried in the Aussie bush, and a whole lot of other cases. A Thai schoolgirl is still missing and I recall another case where a Thai woman was thrown over a bridge so the crocodiles would eat her.

Maybe this David bloke should concern himself with his own country. He probably hasn't even been to Thailand, but considers himself an expert.

Your post gives the impression your application for a TAT employment is still pending...

When you can get More than 10 to 1 of your home countries money in exchange rates,

The trouble for the tourism industry is not enough of them have traveled the world for the same reason as above,

so knowledge of safety and calling a spade a spade does not happen and the lines between information and loss of face

I get 50 to 1 exchange rate (£) but things here are 50 times the price they are in the UK so it is not a cheap destination anymore.

I get 50 to 1 exchange rate (£) but things here are 50 times the price they are in the UK so it is not a cheap destination anymore.

What the hell are you on?? 50 x UK prices??? You need to learn a little about currency exchange rates and economies. A bottle of beer in 7/ll 35Baht = 1750Baht in UK, nah, visit as hospital for a while. They might sort you out.

The odd mishap? I sincerely hope your blindness is temporary

What the hell are you on?? 50 x UK prices??? You need to learn a little about currency exchange rates and economies. A bottle of beer in 7/ll 35Baht = 1750Baht in UK, nah, visit as hospital for a while. They might sort you out.

It's all about the price of beer then is it? For some maybe...not for me

Why doesn't the government hand out free condoms at the airport? This would improve the safety of most tourists.

This the type of person Thailand does not need.a one track mind for sex tourism. Or abuse of poor Thai people. And before the messages come in . They are nimphomaniacts and they do it because they like it and are lazy. Then you don't know anything about Thailand.

There are several objective trends which do not bode well for tourism in Thailand:

- an increasingly repressive government

- Environmental degradation due to overuse and lax regulation

- airline industry safety warnings

- shift toward lower value tourists (more tourists but less revenue per stay)

- failure to improve road safety

- promotion of 10:1 two-tiered pricing at parks

Against these negative factors, there are few positives.

- control of political violence

- somewhat better regulation of taxis

I would say the outlook is guarded at best.

Why doesn't the government hand out free condoms at the airport? This would improve the safety of most tourists.

This the type of person Thailand does not need.a one track mind for sex tourism. Or abuse of poor Thai people. And before the messages come in . They are nimphomaniacts and they do it because they like it and are lazy. Then you don't know anything about Thailand.
Your right! A one tracked mind. Prostitution is national, the street I live in has a brothel, there are brothels all along the main road, it's easy to find them, as they usually have neon lights outside. Even in the countryside miles away from Bangkok you can find brothels it's a national past time. Ninety five percent of prostitution caters for Thai people. Go look it up on Google. As for lazy, what's lazy about having sex? It burns a lot of calories and is good for the heart. Knowing nothing about Thailand, well with the poor education system maybe I do know more about Thailand than the average Thai. So, maybe your wrong! Who knows, who cares, not me, I enjoy corresponding with you.

2f2fe23a27edc5395ea366be1099a031.jpg

There are several objective trends which do not bode well for tourism in Thailand:

- an increasingly repressive government

- Environmental degradation due to overuse and lax regulation

- airline industry safety warnings

- shift toward lower value tourists (more tourists but less revenue per stay)

- failure to improve road safety

- promotion of 10:1 two-tiered pricing at parks

Against these negative factors, there are few positives.

- control of political violence

- somewhat better regulation of taxis

I would say the outlook is guarded at best.

You forgot the bycicle lanes! Whatever you do PDL don't forget the bicycle lanes! Edited by JAG

The road issues aside, the headlines in most cities read far worse than what comes out of Thailand. The world is a dangerous place period. Just a look at a police log comeing from sanfrancisco will dwarf the daily news from the entire country of Thailand. Just be ready to doge a few wayward tuk tuks, don't drink to much, be polite and well funded, take the green bus, never do business with somone who has aproached you first, avoid dark and lonely places, and tourists will be just fine. The same advice I would give any traveler. There is a conspiracy in western countries where "do gooders" have it out for Thailands openness. Religous fanatics that want to impose their morals on an otherwise open society. This is what I suspect is the motivation for a majority of the hoopla.

The road issues aside, the headlines in most cities read far worse than what comes out of Thailand. The world is a dangerous place period. Just a look at a police log comeing from sanfrancisco will dwarf the daily news from the entire country of Thailand. Just be ready to doge a few wayward tuk tuks, don't drink to much, be polite and well funded, take the green bus, never do business with somone who has aproached you first, avoid dark and lonely places, and tourists will be just fine. The same advice I would give any traveler. There is a conspiracy in western countries where "do gooders" have it out for Thailands openness. Religous fanatics that want to impose their morals on an otherwise open society. This is what I suspect is the motivation for a majority of the hoopla.

complete garbage

tourists dont get shot or beheaded in San Francisco

tourists dont get harassed, abducted extorted by the police in San Francisco

but these crimes do happen every single day in thailand

you are certainly living in the cloud of cucko landcoffee1.gif

My wife and I are visiting the US. We have been here for 3 weeks and I rented a car. So far, I have not observed any drivers plainly violating traffic laws. I have been forced to find other topics of conversation, as I have not been continuously shouting at poor drivers. The stress is almost too much to bear.

complete garbage

People are shot dayly. extortion, drug shootings, kidnappings for sex trafficking, mass shootings, etc etc. A rape and a murder. Every major city. The old expat crowd in Thailand seem to be a bunch of old guys with to much time on their hands yelling at the News half the day. Sometimes I giggle at the a

Stank made on This forum about some guy that got beat up, when it's a dayly ocurance in most western cities. I think a lot of visitors going to Thailand have some sort of superiority complex because they are treated in most cases so well by the Thais. Sure there is crime, and any serious crime shouldn't be tolerated. But Thaialnd in comparison to the rest of the world is not that bad.

Edited by Hiyaall

My wife and I are visiting the US. We have been here for 3 weeks and I rented a car. So far, I have not observed any drivers plainly violating traffic laws. I have been forced to find other topics of conversation, as I have not been continuously shouting at poor drivers. The stress is almost too much to bear.

Yes. Well driving in Thaialnd is indeed the biggest risk for most people.

"Despite the odd mishap the Thai tourism industry is booming. Bigger than ever.

WOW.. It's more than the odd mishap - an understatement along the lines of Apollo 18's - "Houston, we have a problem"

But tourism is booming, so I agree 50% with your premisewai2.gif

"We've got to get the message across that people shouldn't be leaving their brains behind when they come to Thailand." He added that he will live forever with the 'wailing' of relatives who come to Phuket, to take the bodies of their loved ones home. "It's just heartbreaking to see."

Larry Cunningham - former Australian Honorary Consul - based in Phuket, Thailand

Look - Fact is stranger than fiction, especially in a tourist Mecca like the supremely paradoxical "Land of Smiles." In that vein, no matter how dangerous it gets in Thailand for tourists, visitors will keep flocking there in ever-greater numbers.

Moreover, for many young, rite-of passage travelers to the country - the inherent deadly dangers are a huge draw - in fact a primary "raison d'etre" to go there in the first place! It's so cool to be seen by thousands of other like-minded peers, and party like it's 1999.

Many of these at-risk young tourists get lovely Buddhist tattoos all over their bodies - not that most of them have much idea what they really mean. Proactive, safety-orientated travelers need to be keenly aware that high tourist (and Thai) fatality statistics in Thailand are artificially skewed low, for a variety of obscure reasons.

Edited by metisdead
Oversize and bold font reset to normal.

complete garbage

People are shot dayly. extortion, drug shootings, kidnappings for sex trafficking, mass shootings, etc etc. A rape and a murder. Every major city. The old expat crowd in Thailand seem to be a bunch of old guys with to much time on their hands yelling at the News half the day. Sometimes I giggle at the a

Stank made on This forum about some guy that got beat up, when it's a dayly ocurance in most western cities. I think a lot of visitors going to Thailand have some sort of superiority complex because they are treated in most cases so well by the Thais. Sure there is crime, and any serious crime shouldn't be tolerated. But Thaialnd in comparison to the rest of the world is not that bad.

People are shot dayly. extortion, drug shootings, kidnappings for sex trafficking, mass shootings, etc etc. A rape and a murder. Every major city.

you are talking about thailand right?? because if you read thai newspaper its just about murder and rape in a huge scale!

I repeat, you talk complete boloney thailand is more dangerous even than Chicago or Detroit.

USA get 2 times more tourists than thailand, but you will never heard tourist got shot dead or beheaded every day....

The problem is you have no idea whats going on in thailand, because you are completely deluded (and you dont speak the lingo)!

complete garbage

People are shot dayly. extortion, drug shootings, kidnappings for sex trafficking, mass shootings, etc etc. A rape and a murder. Every major city.

you are talking about thailand right?? because if you read thai newspaper its just about murder and rape in a huge scale!

I repeat, you talk complete boloney thailand is more dangerous even than Chicago or Detroit.

USA get 2 times more tourists than thailand, but you will never heard tourist got shot dead or beheaded every day....

The problem is you have no idea whats going on in thailand, because you are completely deluded (and you dont speak the lingo)!

I work in security. It's just much more publicized when it happens to a tourist in Thailand. 30 million people in tourists alone. Not counting expats. That's nearly 1/10 the entire US population. A simple statistical analysis will show that the numbers are not signifigant compared to other populations. The problem is not that I am deluded or misinformed, the problem is that social media and hoopla create a confimation bias effect in your brain, and without a proper understanding of critical thinking you will always be at the mercy of media and pop culture ;) Edited by Hiyaall

complete garbage

I work in security. It's just much more publicized when it happens to a tourist in Thailand. 30 million people in tourists alone. Not counting expats. That's nearly 1/10 the entire US population. A simple statistical analysis will show that the numbers are not signifigant compared to other populations. The problem is not that I am deluded or misinformed, the problem is that social media and hoopla create a confimation bias effect in your brain, and without a proper understanding of critical thinking you will always be at the mercy of media and pop culture wink.png

"I work in security" so you didnt go to school? that might explain your lack of critical thinking ,your ignorance about this countrywhistling.gif and also the complete crap you keep writing

thailand as a tourist destination, is one of the most unsafe destination in the world