Red wine

JacksSmirkingRevenge

I'd like to get a bottle or 2 for under 300 baht each, and the cheaper the better.

I'm not picky, just want real red wine, not the fruit wine usually offered that's bottled here, but claim imported.

I see many at Rimping, but I have no clue which is the best.

Does anyone know of a place with decent red wine that is imported and not fruit wine?

Thanks!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try Wine Connection, there is one in Kad Farang, one in Central Festival, possibly more. They should be able to advise on real wine, although you may not get a bottle without fruit juice for just 300B :)

I was in Jom Tien recently, and some stores had 2 litre bottles of Australian red wine for 395THB.

In the various places I had lunch, a glass of Aussie red wine was much cheaper than Chiang Mai.

I'm in Oz just now, and 6 bottles of my favourite red is going to cost me a little under 1000THB. A pity I can't bring more than 1 litre back to Thailand.

It's been my experience, if the front of the bottle says Merlot, Cabernet, Zinfandel, they aren't fruit wines (unless in smaller print on the back says Fruit Juice added). Most will say somewhere on the bottle/box (i.e. Mount Clare, Fruit Wine). I haven't seen any REAL PURE wine in the 300 baht range but it may be out there??? The wine business has been ruined in Thailand with this FRUIT CRAP!!! I'm not a wine Foo Foo but it doesn't taste the same. Some good "REAL" box wines and some others have exited the market. It's all too bad IMHO. Some genius has decided that this is the way it should be??? Certainly a loss in Thailand's wine business. I don't mind a higher tax or an up charge for decent wine but to pay 4 times what I pay in Australia or the states is just ridicules!!!

Try the berri Estates Wine

The Bin 222, Bin 777 And the Bin 999

All resonably priced

I have tried the bin 777 And the bin 999 tasted ok to me

Maybe i am partial to them because they are from my home state in Australia

I have friends who beleib=ve they taste good and are good value for the money compared to the many thay are for sale

Hope this is of help

Try them out, feedback welcome

All resonably priced

I have friends who beleib=ve they taste good and are good value for the money compared to the many thay are for sale

Hope this is of help

The Berri is good for cheap plonk but it is labelled "fruit wine". What exactly does this mean?

It's been my experience, if the front of the bottle says Merlot, Cabernet, Zinfandel, they aren't fruit wines (unless in smaller print on the back says Fruit Juice added). Most will say somewhere on the bottle/box (i.e. Mount Clare, Fruit Wine). I haven't seen any REAL PURE wine in the 300 baht range but it may be out there??? The wine business has been ruined in Thailand with this FRUIT CRAP!!! I'm not a wine Foo Foo but it doesn't taste the same. Some good "REAL" box wines and some others have exited the market. It's all too bad IMHO. Some genius has decided that this is the way it should be??? Certainly a loss in Thailand's wine business. I don't mind a higher tax or an up charge for decent wine but to pay 4 times what I pay in Australia or the states is just ridicules!!!

Its not a case of "some genius deciding" etc etc, its to do with the massive tax the government slap on "luxury goods" and which they increased a couple of years ago taking decent bottles from around 399 baht up to over 1000 baht each. The concept of "adding fruit" is designed to avoid alcohol tax at point of importation and thus keeping "red wine" at a price people can or will pay.

There are a few fairly drinkable ones for less than 500 baht but you have to hunt for them by tasting many then drawing your own conclusion as to what works for you. However, whatever you decide to taste, do NOT include one called "Camden Park" which is so disgusting its even an insult to the fruit added wines !!!

Edited by PostmanPat

Last month when I was home, Supermarkets were giving the stuff away, quite good quality too usually 7 quid (350 baht) on sale 3 for a tenner (500 baht) They can't give it away, it's so cheap and on sale at so many places

I simply wouldn't buy wine here, especially the plonk..

All resonably priced

Hope this is of help

The Berri is good for cheap plonk but it is labelled "fruit wine". What exactly does this mean?

Means to get under the Thai taxes they have mixed fruit juice into the concoction.

Mulberry juice usually for the red, pineapple juice for the whites. This is why the reds tend to fruit juice blend better as they typically have some mulberry features but the whites, no, they can come out as complete crap.

Actually all the fruit wines are crap and as far as I'm concerned it's fraud to put that small label on the back. Duping people. Big letters on the front FRUIT WINE should be the requirement.

Bushman's Gully 295 at Rimping.

You are right that this is a real Cabernet Sauvignon at under 300B. But have you tried it? There is a reason it is under 300B. Unfortunately, it is spoiled. It can be drunk, but not with pleasure. I suspect it was stored badly.

Its not a case of "some genius deciding" etc etc, its to do with the massive tax the government slap on "luxury goods" and which they increased a couple of years ago taking decent bottles from around 399 baht up to over 1000 baht each.

----------

P.P.: I actually meant the geniuses who decided to inflict this massive tax. I know it has everything to do with the tax. I often wonder if they've actually increased their revenues on wine or if they've declined. My guess is they've declined. I drink more beer now and hear so many people complaining about the current crap juice that's on the market now and which one doesn't suck too much! What's next, beer? Increase the tax on that to a ridicules level and then let the companies alter that also!

You are right that this is a real Cabernet Sauvignon at under 300B. But have you tried it? There is a reason it is under 300B. Unfortunately, it is spoiled. It can be drunk, but not with pleasure. I suspect it was stored badly.

I suspect you're right, there are a lot who would drink it with pleasure.

http://www.wine-searcher.com/wine-96053-0001-warburn-estate-bushman-s-gully-cabernet-shiraz-riverina-australia

Home brew kits are excellent and easy to make? works out at about 50 THB a litre

Will help while away some time.

'Kettles' for extracting natural herbs ( about 7000 THB ) give up to 60 proof add some flavourings and barrel chips an voila... JD or JB at about 200 THB a litre.

At least this is possible, not that I would recommend any one to break Thai Law, it does work in "Other countries"

Got one @Rimping Mae Hia. It does NOT mention the word fruit anywhere, hopes are high! biggrin.png

Yes, of course it is a genuine Cabernet Sauvignon. That does not make it worth the money however. As I commented before, there is a reason it is under 300B. Unfortunately, it is spoiled. It can be drunk, but not with pleasure. I suspect it was stored badly.

I was offered a 'real' wine from a box the other day. It wasn't too bad at all and had been, I understand, boxed in France. It apparently sells at Rimping for 799 baht for 3 litres. Chateau G something or other.

I am sure people here will be able to give you a better description.

Got one @Rimping Mae Hia. It does NOT mention the word fruit anywhere, hopes are high! biggrin.png

Yes, of course it is a genuine Cabernet Sauvignon. That does not make it worth the money however. As I commented before, there is a reason it is under 300B. Unfortunately, it is spoiled. It can be drunk, but not with pleasure. I suspect it was stored badly.

Likely you got a bad bottle that had, in fact, been stored badly. It isn't as good as most 5-600 baht wines but my mates and I do drink it with pleasure. And with pizza.

Likely you got a bad bottle that had, in fact, been stored badly. It isn't as good as most 5-600 baht wines but my mates and I do drink it with pleasure. And with pizza.

Bottle still sitting on the kitchen table. Have to walk the dogs first, but it looks just fine, as fruit wine :)

Amexpat and Madmac: That's fine if it suits your taste---up to you what you want to drink. However, you surely have to think it's strange that what should be a good wine by a very well known Australian brand is selling at less than 300B, around half the price you would expect. Most significantly, Rimping still have a lot in stock, more than a month after they first started to sell it. I'm sure that I'm not the only one to conclude it is spoiled or the bottles would long since have sold out at that bargain price.

Edited by neilrob