Recommending A Bank - Banking Questions

Hi all,

I'm just getting set up to start working in Bangkok. I'm now looking to pick a bank to use for general consumer banking purpose.

1. Does anyone have any recommendations about what are good banks/bad banks for farrang workers?

2. Which bank charges the least to get money back to home country (for me is Canada) .. ie via bank transfer or certified cheque service charges?

3. I have my NI-B but still waiting for my official work permit .. does it matter to have the work permit in hand before applying for an account?

Thanks for your wisdom and hard-earned experience

Guest IT Manager

If you haven't set up an account in the last few weeks, check with all the ones local to you. I opened a new account for a client 2 weeks ago as a foreign resident account, and they wanted 50,000 baht opening deposit.

Whilst I accept the BoA is worried about losing dierection with the loss of the only part of it that actually made sense (ABN AMRO) it is hard to see or understand the reason for this act of stupidity.

Thanks for your suggestions.

I would like to ask for a final vote for either Bangkok Bank or Siam Commerical, based on:

1. customer service / farrang attitude

2. service fees (esp. international transfers/bank drafts)

3. internet banking

4. ATM access / fees

5. debit card payment

Perhaps we can compile a document which contains opinons/experiences or a 'ranking guide' for Banks for future assistance to others?

S.

I would like to ask for a final vote for either Bangkok Bank or Siam Commerical, based on:

3. internet banking

4. ATM access / fees

5. debit card payment

Perhaps we can compile a document which contains opinons/experiences or a 'ranking guide' for Banks for future assistance to others?

S.

The problem is different people have widely differing experiences from bank to bank and branch to branch. I use Siam Commercial Head Office and find that as modern as a tomorrow, and a very helpful staff too. It suits me there. I wish a one size fits all posting could be made, but it is a bit too hard for now. Good luck.

3. internet banking

4. ATM access / fees

5.  debit card payment

S.

The problem is different people have widely differing experiences from bank to bank and branch to branch. I use Siam Commercial Head Office and find that as modern as a tomorrow, and a very helpful staff too. It suits me there. I wish a one size fits all posting could be made, but it is a bit too hard for now. Good luck.

Been using both Bangkok Bank and Siam Commercial Bank for two decades now for international and local dealings, both are friendly and effecient, Siam Commercial is a tad more forgiving than is Bangkok Bank.

Heres my two pence worth...

If you open a Bangkok Bank account in a different area than you draw money out of you will be charged commission each time... Found that out to my cost when I bought a condo in Bangkok using my Surin Bank account..... Very expensive moving the money down here and we also could not get the paperwork done without going to Bangkok Bank Head Office downtown....

Siam Commercial Bank were more than willing to open an account for us in Bangkok with tourist visas and 1000 Baht.

Bangkok Bank in Surin were the same but Bangkok Bank in Bangkok need work / resident visas...

However, Siam do not have as many relationships with banks outside Thailand as Bangkok Bank... A transfer from Swtizerland to our Siam account went through two different banks in the UK prior to arriving here and attracted UK size 'commission' charges on the way... A transfer done on the same day from the same source arrived at Bangkok Bank untouched...

Other than that I have found Siam to be more helpful and more friendly to date in major cities..

Both were very good in rural areas...But that seems par for the course in most coutries and most businesses.. so no suprise there.

Hope that is helpful to someone...

Scratt :o

Bangkok Bank will not give a foreigner Internet Banking without a work permit. Even though I have a joint account with my Thai wife, they refused unless she opened an account soley in her name. I have been told this has happened to other people as well.

Hi all,

Thank you for your informative input.

I went to Siam Commerical bank on advise (and because it is the closest branch to my office), and was told - at least at this branch - one definately needs a Work Permit. Aparently it is now a proper law... ? So, I must return friday when I finally have mine.

I could not find any service difference between Bangkok bank and SCB..both have internet/hpne banking etc and roughly same fees. Anybody know of anything concrete?

Thanks again for all your help

Hi all,

I went to Siam Commerical bank on advise (and because it is the closest branch to my office), and was told - at least at this branch - one definately needs a Work Permit. Aparently it is now a proper law... ? So, I must return friday when I finally have mine.

I could not find any service difference between Bangkok bank and SCB..both have internet/hpne banking etc and roughly same fees. Anybody know of anything concrete?

BTW it was SCB, Chit Lom branch at Maneeya building, across from Chit Lom skytrain station / burger king

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My advice is to open account in SIAM commercial bank,coz they are high in service and usually there are not as crowded as BANGKOK bank.Just imagine if you go to withdraw or deposit a little money and u have to wait for 1 hour to have your turn.Bangkok bank is very very crowded all over the country.

• 1 month later...

Bank of Bangkok my Thai wife and I try to open joing account

BKK bank branch across from Central Lat Phrao, we waited almost an hour to see Customer Service person to open an account. We get to front of the line .... and ... the computer is down. We ask to open a joint account.... they're all out the correct form, but will allow us to fill out two of the individual account forms instead .... but, of course..... the computer is still down and it's now 10 mins until closing .... The CS person tells us: 'But, there's a branch two blocks away in the Testo/Locus that's open 'till 8 PM' Great! Off we go...it's actually closer to our home anyway!

We get to the Tesco/Lotus branch and are enquiring about the various account options/fees etc. The lady rattles off several options/fees and my wife asks her to write it down so she can explain it to her dumb non-Thai speaking husband. The lady foolishly ignores my persistent spouse and continues to re-state the various options. My now perturbed wife has to remind her a couple of times to write it down before it is done. Great! After a short husband/wife discussion we decide what's best for us ..... but ...... they're all out of the form required for joint accounts! And, they couldn't possibly use two individual forms to open one joint account!

OK...time to call the sister-in-law who works for Thai Farmer's Bank.... a little juice surely will help. Adieu, Bank of Bangkok!!!!

Hi all,

I went to Siam Commerical bank on advise (and because it is the closest branch to my office), and was told - at least at this branch - one definately needs a Work Permit.  Aparently it is now a proper law... ?  So, I must return friday when I finally have mine.

I could not find any service difference between Bangkok bank and SCB..both have internet/hpne banking etc and roughly same fees.  Anybody know of anything concrete?

BTW it was SCB, Chit Lom branch at Maneeya building, across from Chit Lom skytrain station / burger king

I have an account at that branch. No problems. Got a visa card as well.