Satang coins... what is the the point?

BookMan

The trick is to start using them when you go shopping, don't just hand over a large bank note and take back a handful of coins every time.

I shop a lot in MaxValue and they use them.

Now when I go to buy groceries I make sure I take 4 of the 25 satang coins and 9 x 1 baht coins.

I see the total (for example 85.75) and I first give the cashier the 5.75 in coins then I hand them (in this example) a 100 baht note.

I get back a 20 baht note and don't have yet more coins.

I figure the rate I get coins elsewhere is balanced by the rate I'm giving them back.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It really was eye opening for me the other day .. I bought a desk lamp and thought it needed more weight in the base.

A moment surreal when you use money to fill the base of a lamp.

Edited by Guest

My girlfriend tells me that when she was a child--40+ years ago--in Isaan, her mother would give her one baht spending money for the day as she went off to school. That one baht (spent in fractions of satang, of course) would pay for:

-songthaew fare to and from school

-a bowl of noodles for lunch

-a snack in the afternoon

It is mainly supermarkets and 7elevens, a bit like the old halfpenny in the UK which took years to get rid of.

I have over 300 bahts worth, all bagged, but I do not have the balls to go into a 7eleven or supermarket, asking them if they want to exchange them, and certainly would not use them for a purchase !

Tesco and 711 would love them. Our local ones put out an appeal for people to bring them in as the banks would no longer supply them.

I also have, literally, thousands of baht in 1 baht coins. I can get by in Thai somewhat, but I am hoping one of my Thai friends can write me a note, asking if they need the coins for change. Then I will go into the shops, showing the note, and if they change it, they change it.

Before the big deal O'Neills come on here criticising me, I might well buy something for the local orphanage when it is changed.

We tend to ask the orphanage what they need, and buy it for them, rather than give cash, which may not be used for the right purposes.

You can feed the 1 baht coins into those little red machines you see outside 7-Elevens and the like to do mobile topups for example (they have an English option on the touch screen menu - pretty simple to use). It takes a while to pump in 100 baht's worth and they charge you something like 5 baht per 100 baht but it's one way of getting rid of them.

Agree with the OP about satang coins. It's also odd when you go to pay a credit card bill or utility bill and they are asking for 500.47 or something silly, errrr how do I pay 0.47 of a baht exactly? They just seem to round it up or down...hmm that gives me an idea for a scam..what if millions of people gave me 47 extra satang every day via my computer system...I could be rich!

<snip>

I see the total (for example 85.75) and I first give the cashier the 5.75 in coins then I hand them (in this example) a 100 baht note.

<snip>

"How to keep most Thai cashiers busy for the next 10 minutes"...

They like that in Thailand. Last week on the highway from Pattaya to BKK we came in a long trafficjam for a tollbooth, we all had to pay 10 baht (but lost more on fuel and time).

I like to give them a handfull of small coins...just make sure it's enough and the rest they can keep.

Edited by Thian

About 3 years ago when Mrs. Shot bought the house, we had a refund back from the land office because we had overpaid for something in the amount of about 300 Baht. We arrived early hoping to get in and out with our refund. Silly me, the officer in charge counted out 300 Baht in satang in his office for about an hour. I still have our refund in a plastic bag.

It is mainly supermarkets and 7elevens, a bit like the old halfpenny in the UK which took years to get rid of.

I have over 300 bahts worth, all bagged, but I do not have the balls to go into a 7eleven or supermarket, asking them if they want to exchange them, and certainly would not use them for a purchase !

99.75 Baht is much cheaper than 100 Baht, that's the reason these coins are still used. Best way to get rid of them; in most supermarkets they have these charity boxes, so you don't have to carry them in your pocket or worse, count them.

About 3 years ago when Mrs. Shot bought the house, we had a refund back from the land office because we had overpaid for something in the amount of about 300 Baht. We arrived early hoping to get in and out with our refund. Silly me, the officer in charge counted out 300 Baht in satang in his office for about an hour. I still have our refund in a plastic bag.

Had he taken a disliking to you?

Edited by BookMan

Our little store in the condominium has a glass jar nearby, and satangs can be put in here, and given to the monks when they drop by.

IMHO, satangs are a rather useless bit of currency.

iMHO the monks you give them to are a rather useless bit of humanity.

I agree they are pretty worthless, but I still carry a few into Tesco when doing my shopping as to not get more of them.

Back in the 90's when I spent time in Indonesia, when it got to satang levels, they gave you a candy, I always thought that was a nice alternative. Fresh breath instead of a miniscule coin, perfect !

They did that in Italy too about 35 years ago

Perhaps a street person would not share that shame, donate them.

or just exercise common sense. Rather than bagging them up or donating them, just take one 50 satang coin and one 25 satang coin whenever you go shopping. Good way of getting rid of them. But I fully agree with the poster. They are useless and pointless and should be scrapped.

I bought a rotee,and the lady threw the 4-50 satangers on the ground and said," mi dee mach,mach,ka".

The purpose of the satang is For Tesco and 7/11 milk, and the bribery that keeps the satang prevalent. No body wants the satang except businesses.

If you think,50satang a day=15 million bottles of milk sold in Thailand/day,=7.5 million baht a day times 365 days/ year,IS 2 billion,737.5 million baht a year for Tesco and 7/11. It is about the economics of big big business and bribery and good old fashion corruption.

It`s a scam operated by the big store chains. Years ago satang may have had some value similar to the half pence coins in the UK, only the UK discontinued their worthless coins long ago. The big stores and supermarkets serve thousands of customers per day and instead of rounding the figures to the closest baht, the satang part bahts mark ups helps them squeeze as much as possible from the customers and making a product appear cheaper into the bargain.. An item may be priced at 55.5 baht and most of us will consider the item at 55 baht hardly noticing the additional half baht. I can only guess that somehow the big store chains have convinced the government to continue minting those worthless coins that add up when selling thousands of items each day. Even if paying by card they will still add on the extra percentage of a baht.

As others wrote: in all the chains you can end up with 0.25, 0.50, 0.75.

At 7/11, Tesco, Makro, BigC....

Yes it's a "chain", supermarket thing.

Same as in the west, often for those seemingly cheap prices.

Some Euro countries have abolished the 1 and 2 cent coins.

In Germany it's still a holy cow and you will hardly find a price of 2 Euro, 1.99 of course wink.png

Same here in France with these pesky .99 prices.

But no one uses cash in supermarkets anymore.

I do agree that at when I'm in Thailand, at my local 7/11 they're more than happy to let me spend some time digging out a dozen of so of these small coins to make for the exact change. They seem to actually like getting them.

Edited by Lannig

I'm beginning to think it is for the benefit of a few multi nationals... I mentioned the bus can be 6.5 baht, but that could be bumped to 7 baht

Not sure about the rotee lady throwing the satang in the ground...i guess she picked it up for u again tongue.png

I bought a rotee,and the lady threw the 4-50 satangers on the ground and said," mi dee mach,mach,ka".
The purpose of the satang is For Tesco and 7/11 milk, and the bribery that keeps the satang prevalent. No body wants the satang except businesses.
If you think,50satang a day=15 million bottles of milk sold in Thailand/day,=7.5 million baht a day times 365 days/ year,IS 2 billion,737.5 million baht a year for Tesco and 7/11. It is about the economics of big big business and bribery and good old fashion corruption.

It`s a scam operated by the big store chains. Years ago satang may have had some value similar to the half pence coins in the UK, only the UK discontinued their worthless coins long ago. The big stores and supermarkets serve thousands of customers per day and instead of rounding the figures to the closest baht, the satang part bahts mark ups helps them squeeze as much as possible from the customers and making a product appear cheaper into the bargain.. An item may be priced at 55.5 baht and most of us will consider the item at 55 baht hardly noticing the additional half baht. I can only guess that somehow the big store chains have convinced the government to continue minting those worthless coins that add up when selling thousands of items each day. Even if paying by card they will still add on the extra percentage of a baht.

As others wrote: in all the chains you can end up with 0.25, 0.50, 0.75.

At 7/11, Tesco, Makro, BigC....

Yes it's a "chain", supermarket thing.

Same as in the west, often for those seemingly cheap prices.

Some Euro countries have abolished the 1 and 2 cent coins.

In Germany it's still a holy cow and you will hardly find a price of 2 Euro, 1.99 of course wink.png

Same here in France with these pesky .99 prices.

But no one uses cash in supermarkets anymore.

I do agree that at when I'm in Thailand, at my local 7/11 they're more than happy to let me spend some time digging out a dozen of so of these small coins to make for the exact change. They seem to actually like getting them.

In Australia they ditched the 1 cent and 2 cent pieces a long wile back.

Now there is tal that 5 cents pieces will be gone in a few more years

I agree they are pretty worthless, but I still carry a few into Tesco when doing my shopping as to not get more of them.

Back in the 90's when I spent time in Indonesia, when it got to satang levels, they gave you a candy, I always thought that was a nice alternative. Fresh breath instead of a miniscule coin, perfect !

They did that in Italy too about 35 years ago

Exact;

I was an autista, an international trucker from 1973 to 1983 and went many times to Italy for my french company ; everywhere they gave to us candies because of a shortage of coins

I took my satang coins to the local 711 the other night

I bought about 170+ bahts worth of items and giving the cashier 19 Baht in satang coins and some 1 baht coins from my pocket FIRST. so they could count out how much was there

The way it worked out was, i ave more notes and they would owe me 17 baht or so change (can't remember exactly now). I had no more coins of any type so nothing much I could do...

Well, it caused quite a lot of confusion They counted the Satang coins into 1 baht piles first and at that stage I handed over the notes... The notes went direct into the till till, leaving just a couple of baht owing.

I could see the girl was stumped about what to do with the satang piles on the counter...seeing as I only owed a few baht now...She was close to pushing them back my way when a senior staff person stepped in and added them to the till , giving me larger denomination baht coins back

Next time I will use the satang for one small item and avoid confusion

always keep them in my pocket, when the bill comes to . something out they come, mostly at 7/11 if you hold out your hand with a few baht worth of satang they will take them all off me.

Well they seem silly to me. But while I was reading your post it struck me that they must have a way of disposing them.

I am sure that they don't save them. Or for that matter have the time some people do to count them.

edit

I don't pay any attention to them or any other coin. I start out with 17 baht in change and when I gert a little bit of a pile I just take the 17 baht seed money out and give the rest to the grandchildren.

No I don't know why I start with 17 baht.coffee1.gif

Edited by big carl

Many years ago I was told that the reason that prices of goods in shops are £4.99 or £29.95 etc instead of just £5 or £30 is to help prevent fraud by sales assistants. They have to open the cash till to give you change, whereas the straight notes could just be pocketed.

These days with so many payments being made using cards, especially here in UK where they have the "tap'n'pay" card readers so you don't even have to enter your PIN, £XX.99 prices for things seems redundant.

Edited by penco