Satang coins... what is the the point?

BookMan

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is mainly supermarkets and 7elevens, a bit like the old halfpenny in the UK which took years to get rid of.

I have over 300 bahts worth, all bagged, but I do not have the balls to go into a 7eleven or supermarket, asking them if they want to exchange them, and certainly would not use them for a purchase !

It is mainly supermarkets and 7elevens, a bit like the old halfpenny in the UK which took years to get rid of.

I have over 300 bahts worth, all bagged, but I do not have the balls to go into a 7eleven or supermarket, asking them if they want to exchange them, and certainly would not use them for a purchase !

Perhaps a street person would not share that shame, donate them.

I agree they are pretty worthless, but I still carry a few into Tesco when doing my shopping as to not get more of them.

Back in the 90's when I spent time in Indonesia, when it got to satang levels, they gave you a candy, I always thought that was a nice alternative. Fresh breath instead of a miniscule coin, perfect !

That has crossed my mind, it is not a lot of money. However, where I live, the only street people I know, and I have been here for nearly eleven years, spend any donations they get on Lao Khao, and then become a problem for innocent individuals when drunk.

An alternative would be to give them to a street vendor, and request they give a few meals to street people, but then, I am not sure they themselves would be happy being paid in satangs.

Tesco and 711 would love them. Our local ones put out an appeal for people to bring them in as the banks would no longer supply them.

Tesco and 711 would love them. Our local ones put out an appeal for people to bring them in as the banks would no longer supply them.

I also have, literally, thousands of baht in 1 baht coins. I can get by in Thai somewhat, but I am hoping one of my Thai friends can write me a note, asking if they need the coins for change. Then I will go into the shops, showing the note, and if they change it, they change it.

Before the big deal O'Neills come on here criticising me, I might well buy something for the local orphanage when it is changed.

We tend to ask the orphanage what they need, and buy it for them, rather than give cash, which may not be used for the right purposes.

If banks wont stock them another good reason to ditch them

Not 300 at once, but take a small portion with you in a little transparent plastic bag.

Put it on the desk when paying before you search for the real money.

You will be surprised how often they ask to get some.

I do so will all coins and never build a big stack.

Use them to decorate a plain lamp or something else.

In my experience, they only come in handy when buying milk.

As others wrote: in all the chains you can end up with 0.25, 0.50, 0.75.

At 7/11, Tesco, Makro, BigC....

Yes it's a "chain", supermarket thing.

Same as in the west, often for those seemingly cheap prices.

Some Euro countries have abolished the 1 and 2 cent coins.

In Germany it's still a holy cow and you will hardly find a price of 2 Euro, 1.99 of course wink.png

Edited by KhunBENQ

Use them to decorate a plain lamp or something else.

I use notes for that, much easier and less time consuming !giggle.gif

That is enough for a bar fine, put all the girls to work to count them would be fun. =-O

Our little store in the condominium has a glass jar nearby, and satangs can be put in here, and given to the monks when they drop by.

IMHO, satangs are a rather useless bit of currency.

In the UK there are legal limits on the use of coins. Only £1 coins are legal tender to any amount, so if you want to p*** off your ex-wife when making a court mandated payment you can't hand her the lot in 1p pieces, although you can use £1 coins.

I'd guess that there's a limit in Thailand on Satang. 6:25B in 25 coins has to be the "wry smile" limit. Beyond that I'd get annoyed.

That has crossed my mind, it is not a lot of money. However, where I live, the only street people I know, and I have been here for nearly eleven years, spend any donations they get on Lao Khao, and then become a problem for innocent individuals when drunk.

An alternative would be to give them to a street vendor, and request they give a few meals to street people, but then, I am not sure they themselves would be happy being paid in satangs.

give them to some kid....they will be happy to figure it out from there.

Very shiny, almost looks like gold, good for giving to temples. Donate a bag full and just wait for the merit to come!

"But, but I no understand why I no have luck. I give 10 kilo bag of money to Wat of mine."

Edited by connda