Affordable orthodontist for mouth guard?

rosalinda

Hello:

I am looking to get a mouth guard made (to protect against tooth-grinding at night -- I've managed to lose my original one), and was wondering if anyone had a recommendation at affordable rates.

A few weeks ago, I went to get a tooth cleaning at Mallika Clinic on Tha Pae Road (500 B, very reasonable, sufficient English; https://www.facebook.com/mallikadentalclinic/ ).

After the procedure, I asked if they happened to also do mouth guards. The dentist said that I would need an orthodontist for that, and referred me to Sakda Clinic, on Chang Moi Road ( http://www.chiangmaiplaces.com/sakda-dental-clinic ).

I have an appointment there, but they're going to charge me $60 USD for the work. That's pretty expensive! Does anyone know of anyplace cheaper? I don't require excellent English, or foreign degrees, or anything -- making a mouthguard is a pretty simple procedure, with no actual surgery or even sharp blades involved.

Thank you in advance.

"making a mouthguard is a pretty simple procedure"

If it is so simple why not DIY ?

Just take the required impressions(easy) , make a positive model from the impression( easy) , construct the required guard using the model (easy )

So easy I really wonder why it needs a dentist and a highly skilled dental technician for such a simple task

Costs can be reduced by simply buying pre manufactured sports guard from the local shop.

There are lots of different custom-fit mouth guards to be found at good drugstores or on eBay or Amazon or the like. For the short-time use during the night while sleeping one would think that an orthodontist would not be necessary. Save your money, and see what's available in town or online.

Here are some examples that Google turned up: https://www.google.co.th/search?q=mouthguard+sleep+grinding&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiv59iWis7LAhXDjo4KHZBvBrEQ_AUIBygB&biw=1024&bih=472&dpr=1.88

When I wanted a custom mouthpiece for my Scuba tank regulator, I had a choice of five different sizes and shapes, which could then be heat-molded to my tooth configuration by dipping in very hot water for a minute, allowing to cool a bit, then biting down on. Very comfortable on hour-long dives, but I wouldn't want to spend seven hours with it in my mouth.

When buying these over-the-counter night guards, I don't see them coming in very many different sizes or shapes. To say nothing of comfort, I'd be afraid that if it slipped off during the night it could cause choking. For the extra money, I'd prefer to have one made by a orthodontist. Certainly more comfortable, and definitely more safe.