Police arrest woman in multi million baht Pattaya property swindle

webfact

Police arrest woman in multi million baht Pattaya property swindle
Thaivisa Reporters

pat.jpg
Image: Khaosod.co.th

PATTAYA:-- A young Prachinburi woman was arrested Thursday in connection with a large property and land fraud in the Pattaya area that may involve 20 or more victims, reports Thaivisa News

Following an arrest warrant issued last week the woman was arrested near Siam Country Club golf course.

Pattaya police and some ten claimants so far allege that Kanokwan (alias Khee) Tobanthit pretended to have connection to bank officials in securing loans against houses, condos and land. One Miss Noparat Jantrasaa claimed that Khee had swindled her out of 400,000 baht.

The case against Khee is that she said she was an agent and could help in the purchase of property and land in the Pattaya area. She boasted that she was a former bank employee with insider connections. She could easily arrange loans if people would pay her fees up front of around three per cent.

They further claim that her other strategies were later to claim she needed money to bribe bank officials and then demanded other fees to speed things up. All the while she was constantly on the move and impossible to track down.

She denies all charges laid against her.

Investigator Sukhathat Phumpangmuang of the Pattaya police said Thursday afternoon that ten people had come forward but that there were probably many others who had lost between 50,000 and 800,000 baht in the claimed multi million baht swindle.

He said that Khee was arrested Thursday in the car park of a condo on the soi leading to the Siam Country Club and brought into Pattaya to face some of her accusers. He asked that other potential victims contact police investigating the case.

tvn.png
-- 2016-03-18

This is a common scam, my neighbor got dudded for 80,000 and another person I know got dudded for 38,000 and kept getting asked for more " to finalize paperwork". The scammer gets the victims hopes up by saying the loan is approved but you just need to pay this money first.

Nasty trick, these people need money, that's why they are applying to get a loan, but end up losing the money they have and then all their plans they had are ruined. I will show this story to the two I know who were ripped off. I think they were under the impression nothing could be done, and they had lost their money because of their own stupidity.

My neighbor borrowed from the "mafia" lenders to pay the fees to the conwoman believing that the loan was already approved and she would be able to pay the mafia lenders in a month with part of the loan.

Now the mafia lenders come to her house everyday. She is getting further into a debt hole everyday. I reckon she will lose her house because of one of these scum.

Does her nickname translate as Sh.t? Appropriate. Maybe Turd might be a better translation here.

"They further claim that her other strategies were later to claim she needed money to bribe bank officials"

So wouldn't that make her "victims" guilty of conspiracy or collusion if bribing bank officials is illegal and they knowingly gave her the money?

When corruption is endemic to a country this is what you get,

IE, I know someone who can do things for a small fee (for me) and cut the corners for you, easy easy and you will win.

This is a common scam, my neighbor got dudded for 80,000 and another person I know got dudded for 38,000 and kept getting asked for more " to finalize paperwork". The scammer gets the victims hopes up by saying the loan is approved but you just need to pay this money first.

Nasty trick, these people need money, that's why they are applying to get a loan, but end up losing the money they have and then all their plans they had are ruined. I will show this story to the two I know who were ripped off. I think they were under the impression nothing could be done, and they had lost their money because of their own stupidity.

My neighbor borrowed from the "mafia" lenders to pay the fees to the conwoman believing that the loan was already approved and she would be able to pay the mafia lenders in a month with part of the loan.

Now the mafia lenders come to her house everyday. She is getting further into a debt hole everyday. I reckon she will lose her house because of one of these scum.

Does her nickname translate as Sh.t? Appropriate. Maybe Turd might be a better translation here.

your neighbour should have walked into a bank and requested a loan then the likelihood of being duped would have been much lower!