Playground Proves Deadly For Thai Child

george

Playground proves deadly for Thai child

BANGKOK: -- The death of a child who was crushed under a ‘monkey bar’ has raised concerns about playground safety across Thailand, media reports said on Saturday.

Chakarin Suriwong, 6, died Thursday from torn heart tissue and a crushed lung after a metal ride toppled over on him at a Bangkok playground, The Nation newspaper reported.

The accident, blamed on the device’s poor installation, has raised concerns about playground safety nationwide.

A study conducted by Doctor Adisak Palitpholkarnphim of Ramathibodi Hospital found that 90 per cent of Thailand’s school and public playgrounds posed dangers for children because of poor installation or inappropriate equipment.

Adisk’s study found that an average of 30,000 children were injured on playground rides each year.

His study was prompted by the 2002 playground death of a 5-year-old girl, another victim of a toppled global monkey bar ride.

--DPA 2006-10-28

BANGKOK: -- The death of a child who was crushed under a ‘monkey bar’ has raised concerns about playground safety across Thailand, media reports said on Saturday.............

A pity that these things only come to peoples attention after a tragedy. There are so few safety standards taken into consideration in Thailand I guess we should not expect playgrounds to be any different;

playground1.jpg

This photo was taken at a school near Chom Thong, CM, during a "sports day".

Playground proves deadly for Thai child

Adisk’s study found that an average of 30,000 children were injured on playground rides each year.

How do these figures compare with other developed and developing countries? :o:D ?

I have no idea, but I'm impressed with council owned playgrounds in Aus........ Talk about super-safe!