New Smoking Ban Will Take Effect In December

george

Smoking ban will take effect in wider areas beginning December 29

BANGKOK: -- The Minister of Public Health has affirmed that from December 29 onwards, smoking in such public places as bus stops, public parks, and transport terminals would be banned.

Speaking after launching the no-smoking campaign focussing on the danger of the second-hand smoke on close family members, Md. Mongkol Na Songkhla said that as from December 29, the 17th Public Health announcement for this year which extends no-smoking areas to more public places, would take effect.

The law forbids smoking in transportation terminals, public parks, bus stops, sports stadiums, hotel lobbies, and traditional massage parlours. Violators would face a maximum fine of 2,000 baht. Md. Mongkol stated that members of the society have an important role to ensure the effectiveness of this law. However, officers will take immediate action against violators once the law is enforced.

--thaisnews.com 2006-10-28

Public Health announcement for this year which extends no-smoking areas to more public places, would take effect.

The law forbids smoking in transportation terminals, public parks, bus stops, sports stadiums, hotel lobbies, and traditional massage parlours. Violators would face a maximum fine of 2,000 baht

does this ban include on duty policemen who stand around smoking , and those litter hittlers who sit around in their booths outside the emporium park etc. smoking up a storm.

Edited by taxexile

ACTUALLY, a friend who was in transit to visit me on Phuket was FINED 2 yrs ago for smoking in a transit area. NO SIGNS - NO warning! Just the outstretched palm of the police officer!!! :D

Meanwhile, another visitor this week was fined 600 baht for NO helmet, No licence - while the exact same Thai "criminals" were fined 100 baht..... :o

Good news I think.

Smoking is a disgusting, smelly filthy habit, I for one will be delighted to NOT have other peoples smoke drifting over my space.

Should be like airports where nicotine addicts can herd together in a small room and stink their clothes up and pollute their lungs together in harmony, without subjecting normal people to such disgusting treatment.

Well done to The Thai Government, now make them 500 Baht a pack.

Edited by Creeper

i would love to see a state whwere alchohol and smoking are banned and the Death sentence passed for any abuse of the law.

then all you wonderfull do gooders can go and live there and leave all the sinners alone.

my mother has arthritis and has smoked from the age of 15 would you take away some thing she enjoys, she has contributed taxas and worked hard for her country,

now are you perfect living people going to take away some thing that she enjoys because it does not suit you/ she does not drink how ever my father does and he is 70 so should he stop now because of alchohol abuse.

when this perfect word scenario plays out with no smaking and no drinking, i for one do not want to be there.

LIVE AND LET LIVE

and for gods sake stop preaching to people.

smoking and drinking have been here for longer than most so why this big debacle about smoking

did it kill you when you were younger and all the adults smoked around you?????

i would love to see a state whwere alchohol and smoking are banned and the Death sentence passed for any abuse of the law.

then all you wonderfull do gooders can go and live there and leave all the sinners alone.

my mother has arthritis and has smoked from the age of 15 would you take away some thing she enjoys, she has contributed taxas and worked hard for her country,

LIVE AND LET LIVE

Didn't see any mention of alcohol till you raised it.

Then playing the Mother card to try to justify polluting the air that non addicts breathe is a bit lame.

As I said before, addicts should be herded together away from the rest of us normal folk, then we do not have to breathe in the toxic smoke that you enjoy.

I for one have no desire for you lot to stop polluting your lungs and the air that you and your loved ones breathe, just stay away from me and my kin. :o

So does this mean on a long trip with the bus you can't smoke a short cigarette if the bus stop in a terminal for 15 minutes?

Good idea for help me stop to smoke next year. :o

In 2002 they banned smoking in air-conditioned restaurants. I was the only one in my group that smoked and it got to be drag to go outside when I wanted to smoke - so I quit and have never smoked again.

This was the only thing I am thankful to Toxin for!

Smoking is a disgusting, smelly filthy habit, I for one will be delighted to NOT have other peoples smoke drifting over my space.

Drinking is a disgusting, smelly filthy habit, I for one would be delighted to NOT have other peoples alcohol breath drifting over my space.

I hope Creeper does not drink, nor any one esle in LOS BTW :o

P.S. How intolerant can you be?

Edited by tartempion

I can't really see this law being applied except as trilingual (Thai, English, Japanese) leaflets dished out to foreigners by the local constabulary demanding 2000 Baht. Could you imagine no smoking anywhere in Mor Chit!! :o

Smoking ban will take effect in wider areas beginning December 29

BANGKOK: -- The Minister of Public Health has affirmed that from December 29 onwards, smoking in such public places as bus stops, public parks, and transport terminals would be banned.

Speaking after launching the no-smoking campaign focussing on the danger of the second-hand smoke on close family members, Md. Mongkol Na Songkhla said that as from December 29, the 17th Public Health announcement for this year which extends no-smoking areas to more public places, would take effect.

The law forbids smoking in transportation terminals, public parks, bus stops, sports stadiums, hotel lobbies, and traditional massage parlours.[Violators would face a maximum fine of 2,000 baht. Md. Mongkol stated that members of the society have an important role to ensure the effectiveness of this law. However, officers will take immediate action against violators once the law is enforced.

--thaisnews.com 2006-10-28

My god, what kind of smoking goes on in these places? I thought they were havens of peace,quiet and relaxation. :o

Edited by ratcatcher

I for one have no desire for you lot to stop polluting your lungs and the air that you and your loved ones breathe, just stay away from me and my kin. :o

I make sure that i gonna blow my smoke in your direction.

Generally i am nice and easy going, always ready to compromise. But when i have to listen to such intolerant crap from these militant non smokers, i make an extra effort to make life bad for them.

You don't like my smoke, well, then stay out of my way with your intolerance.

Have a nice day.

i would agree with smoking bans on airoplanes in restaurants and the like, but being told when and where you can smoke, along with other pleasures i.e drinking [ yes i mention drink as it is now being treated as a mortal sin and it is topical at the moment ]

this to me seems to be a bad sign of future measures.

just another step in other people controling our little lives.

I make sure that i gonna blow my smoke in your direction.

Generally i am nice and easy going, always ready to compromise. But when i have to listen to such intolerant crap from these militant non smokers, i make an extra effort to make life bad for them.

You don't like my smoke, well, then stay out of my way with your intolerance.

Have a nice day.

A wonderful example of why Laws are needed to protect non smokers.

I think there is enough evidence to state that smoking is a health hazard, so why is it so difficult for smokers to accept the fact that non smokers are not happy at the prospect of breathing in second hand cigarette smoke in a public area?

Smoking is not seen as cool anymore, I'm actually quite sorry for smokers that are addicted to this drug, but smokers should realise that their habit is offensive and a danger to those that breathe anywhere near them, including their own family members.