International Driving Permit

ZHALKAU

Hello everyone,

I am going to Thailand for 2-3 months and was wondering if I need to get an IDP.

I have a normal British driving license and am not sure if this is enough to rent a car AND properly insure it in Thailand.

Which driving license is best for insurance? What are the options? Can I get a temporary Thai license while I'm there?

All comments are greatly appreciated.

Z

Hi as I understand it you can use your UK licence for a limited period only

The best people to speak to for advice are the RAC or the AA as they are the ones who issue IDP's they will tell you all the info you need, the RAC site is pretty good and as a member I will get my IDP through them

Good luck

Mike

In Thailand you need an international driving licence to drive legally.

If you do not have one you are driving illegally.

For less than a tenner and visit to Post Office no question.

Not quite true mate, can drive on a Uk licence for up to a year, just check with the AA, I am insured with a very reputable broker in Pattaya (farang owned) on a Uk licence.

Edited by sungod

Not quite true mate, can drive on a Uk licence for up to a year, just check with the AA, I am insured with a very reputable broker in Pattaya (farang owned) on a Uk licence.

You might be able to get insurance on a UK licence but does not mean they are legal for driving here. You need an IDP or a Thai driving licence to be legal. The local cops will often accept any form of licence from foreigners - but they don't have to. It is easy enough to get an IDP in the UK and then you won't have to worry about it.

In Thailand visitors can drive with local licences from following countries:

Singapore, Malaysia and Laos. The nationality of the driver is not important, as long as the licence from either country is issued legally. UK- US or any other licences are not valid unless

accompanied by an IDP, means legally both must be shown, the national licence and the resp. IDP.

Than, of course, the Thai - licence is accepted, which can easily be obtained by presenting a US-, UK licence or an IDP and make a quick test on color vision and reaction. This, if one has a non-immigrant visa.

A different story, of course, what the local police man accepts, usually accompanied by some red-colored notes.

Just get one.. cover all the bases is the best option.. even if when you present the IDP to a Thai policeman he has a blank look on his face.

Pop down to you local Post Office with a passport photo and £5.50 and your driving license with counterpart .

http://www.theaa.com/getaway/idp/motidp002.html

http://www.theaa.com/getaway/idp/motidp005.html

totster :o

It's perfectly legal to rent out cars and motorbikes to anyone, even if they don't have any kind of license. It's also perfectly legal to sell insurances. :D

The only one that will be breaking the law is the person without a valid license. Most rental firms and brookers are not going to miss out on any business just because you are doing something illegal, not their problem. :o

You might be able to get insurance on a UK licence but does not mean they are legal for driving here. You need an IDP or a Thai driving licence to be legal. The local cops will often accept any form of licence from foreigners - but they don't have to. It is easy enough to get an IDP in the UK and then you won't have to worry about it.

I stand corrected then, 2 years ago I asked the AA in Uk about an IDP, when I told them where I was going they said I didn't need one.

Since obtained a car 5 year one to make it easy.

Axel, interested on your post about handing over your foreign licence and Non Imm visa, then just taking the eye test. I did this a couple of years ago for the car, no problems. But a few months back when I bought a bike aswell, I tried to go throught the same procedure (bike licence) but they insisted I take the full test, didn't have the time so insured it on my UK bike licence. Seemed abit strange with a 5 year car one that they wanted me to take the highway code again, with the eye sight and reaction stuff.

Edited by sungod

When I got my IDP in Texas, I paid extra to have the longest possible expiration date (same as my state DL), and a motorcycle endorsement (again, same as my state DL). Over one year later, that IDP and state license meant I didn't have to take any driving test or written test, just the eye tests, and I got both Thai licenses, car and bike.

It depends where you are in Thailand, the phase of the moon, etc.

• 1 year later...
In Thailand visitors can drive with local licences from following countries:

Singapore, Malaysia and Laos. The nationality of the driver is not important, as long as the licence from either country is issued legally.

Can someone confirm this. Is there a website where it is verified? Thanks.

Also dont get caught up in the international drivers license scam, you need an international driving permit (IIRC only legally possible for 1 year) and NOT and IDL which is pretty much worthless.

Why the gazette lets that bunch by big C keep selling these to the gullible amazes me.. Well they pay them so may be amazed isnt really the word.