The best Mediterranean food in Bangkok

Jblood

I used to live in the Mediterranean for 5 years so I got used to all this food. So what's the best place in Bangkok to eat the Mediterranean food - I mean the good stuff, not something from last year, overpriced and in small unusual portions - Greek, Sicilian, Arabic or whatever - it's the same theme all around that area - Olives, Cheese, Bread, Hummus, so on and so forth - I think you know what I'm talking about. I used to be a Mediterranean food addict so I can be very picky about the quality.

Also what's the place to shop for the Mediterranean veggies - it seems it's impossible to find Red Onions anywhere in Bangkok - even at Siam Paragon I couldn't find any good quality red onions - they had like tiny and very old red onions from last year or something - they were so small I think it would be hard to even cut them with a knife. Also what is a good bread place - cause all the bakeries seem to be selling more or less one or 2 types of bread, and it's not the best quality by far... It just doesn't have the same scent, or variety like the typical Mediterranean bread or European bread... I also find that the Avocados are just silly overpriced... Olives are almost non-existent. And the quality of tomatoes is just generally not good at all - they just don't seem to have those big plumpy tomatoes like what they have all over the Mediterranean... The veggie market here is just not great at all - what do you think?

If you know some secret place in Bangkok where I can find one of the above - let me know...

red onions are plentifull, even BigC sports 'em

fresh olives I have not seen in BKK but know a shop in Pattaya with fresh olives, but plenty of canned ones around

tomatoes, no problem I think (but not at markets)

bread? Villa Market between soi 33 Sukh and soi 33/1 Sukh has some OK bread, not great - but OK

bei Otto in soi 20 Sukh has some

the bakery in JW Marriott in soi 2 Sukh has some bread

look at shops like Villa Market - Tops - Foodland, some of these shops have pretty good vegetables

(note all Villas and all Foodlands ae not the same, the selection varies from shop to shop)

red onions are plentifull, even BigC sports 'em

fresh olives I have not seen in BKK but know a shop in Pattaya with fresh olives, but plenty of canned ones around

tomatoes, no problem I think (but not at markets)

bread? Villa Market between soi 33 Sukh and soi 33/1 Sukh has some OK bread, not great - but OK

bei Otto in soi 20 Sukh has some

the bakery in JW Marriott in soi 2 Sukh has some bread

look at shops like Villa Market - Tops - Foodland, some of these shops have pretty good vegetables

(note all Villas and all Foodlands ae not the same, the selection varies from shop to shop)

Ok thanks man, I'll check it out. :)

What are you doing in Bangkok if you want Mediterranean food? All food apart from Thai, Indian and Chinese food is Bangkok is generally of low quality, or a cheap copy of authentic ethnic food. If you want Mediterranean food, you should stay in Torremolinos.

Olives in the Makro, red onions everywhere, small and big ones.

hummus and lebanese food in the foodcourt Central Chidlom.

Souvlaki and so i 've never seen but there's chicken kebab at kao sarn road.

Tomato's are not so good here but if you go to the supermarket in Central Chidlom you'll find the best of Thailand about western food.

If you wanna see many bakery's than go to Emquartier in the basement. Also check all their restaurants in the spiral stairs, all the way up. There's so much there.

There are no avocado's at all right now, nowhere. Yes they are ridiculous priced, i also wonder why.

Two places on Suk Soi 3/1 I'd recommend; "The Egyptian", an easy to spot glass and chrome place on the corner of Suk. 3/1 and the first left hand subsoi.

"Scheherazad", the oldest middle eastern restaurant in the area is a few shophouses past on the left side of 3/1, set back a bit. I've eaten there many times and have never had a bad meal. Great flatbread, veggies always fresh. As a general rule, local lamb tends to be tough and tasteless, goat more often than not.