Phuket alcohol zones still fuzzy

webfact

Phuket alcohol zones still fuzzy
Phuket Gazette

az.jpeg
PEO Chief Pairuch Kulima said he hopes details on the alcohol zoning would become clearer after measurements are sent to the Cabinet in July. Photo: Gazette file

PHUKET: -- The Phuket Excise Office (PEO) chief has asked the Cabinet for another six months to measure out potential alcohol zones in an effort to suppress underage drinking in the province.

The cabinet initially gave the PEO until January to chart all shops selling alcohol within 300-meters of ‘educational institutions’.

However the rules remained foggy as officials tried to clarify the guidelines defining educational institutions.

Initially, four technical colleges and two universities were to be the only institutions affected by the ban. However, terms became looser when the 300-meter radius became discretionary.

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Phuket-alcohol-zones-fuzzy/63474?desktopversion

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2016-03-21

I hope that alcohol selling business's have the right to object to new education institutions being built which could interfere with their existing business.

If these rules are enforced, which I pretty much think they cannot be, it is going to hurt a lot of people.

I hope that alcohol selling business's have the right to object to new education institutions being built which could interfere with their existing business.

If these rules are enforced, which I pretty much think they cannot be, it is going to hurt a lot of people.

Mr Pairuch said shops already holding alcohol sales permits in the areas in question may continue to do so. However, the PEO will not approve any new permits in those zones.

So it's not gonna change anything. Nothing, nada, zilch.

Could as well just bury this topic and forget about it instead of "measuring" some areas for 6 months. Oh well, at least someone has something to do...

It's crazy when you can't get a glass of wine or beer at wine connection between 2pm and 5pm at Chalong. It's a law gone mad.

Are you sure ? This rule does not apply to restuarants and hotels. Only to shops.

Very sure. I don't go there for late lunch anymore due to the restriction.

It's crazy when you can't get a glass of wine or beer at wine connection between 2pm and 5pm at Chalong. It's a law gone mad.

Are you sure ? This rule does not apply to restuarants and hotels. Only to shops.

Clearly Wine Connction manager at Chalong is interpreting the law/rule incorrectly.

Same with religious holidays. Restuarant staff don't know how the rule applies. A little Italian place I sometimes have lunch served me a wine with my meal on a religious holiday, owner came along and took the glass from me worried that he would be closed down. And they still charged the wine on the bill. Never been back.

Edited by LivinginKata

Clearly Wine Connction manager at Chalong is interpreting the law/rule incorrectly.

Same with religious holidays. Restuarant staff don't know how the rule applies. A little Italian place I sometimes have lunch served me a wine with my meal on a religious holiday, owner came along and took the glass from me worried that he would be closed down. And they still charged the wine on the bill. Never been back.

And was the same for the WC in Jungceylon a few months ago , all around selling alcohol except them.

We were there @ 3pm and they were not selling.

Not sure if its the same now but for certain they were not providing alcohol when we visited.