Noisy fan, something loose maybe, how to fix?

peeba7

Not sure where to post so general I hope is ok. Also not directly thai but we all have and use fans here and this is about a fan in Thailand.
Question, the fan rattles at times and is noisy, can this be adjusted or tightened and fixed? How please? It is a wall mounted fan and can be removed to work on.

Ok , first find out what makes the fan rattle, then fix it.

Only joking, so many different things can make the fan rattle, and all have different fixes,

so first you need to find out, the why. Some one said worn bearings. Take the Fan of and while disconnected turn the blades with your hand, see if the shaft wobbles, If it does it is most likely the bearings, and it is time to get a new fan,

check the housing, see if any parts are loose. if so tighten up or use some imagination. duct tape fixes everythingtongue.png

Check the blades, if one is more dirty than an other or if something hit one and bend it a little they could be unbalanced .

Like I said so many things,

oh,, if nothing works , fry some bacon , bacon makes everything better.laugh.png

Edited by sirineou

Often because the large plastic bolt which holds the fan blades in place on has loosened.

Take protective barrier off and tighten the plastic bolt.

If this does not eliminate the problem, remove the fan blades, and check to see that the bracket behind the blade hasn't loosened.

Edited by Gecko123

In 10 years of fans and cleaning them from time to time here in LOS. All the fans I own and have trashed say properly cleaning the blades at least every 6 months will help noise issues. But the shaft bearings seem to get loose sometime soon after a year or two causing the shaft to wobble a bit and the dirty blades accentuate this even more. Maybe a bit of grease on the shaft will quiet this but I doubt it.

Also the fans that have an additional motor for making the swing action of the fan will make noise too. Any added linkage that makes the swing action will also cause some added noise over the years of use as things get loose.

We have a stand fan in the bedroom, most nights it is silent as a mouse (ok, a big rat), but on occasion it rattles, or buzzes, or both.

It doesn't seem to matter if it's just been cleaned or is approaching needing a clean, I've tightened everything that can be tightened, lubricated the bearings, but still, occasionally, noises.

A swift thump to the guard tends to shut it up for the night, so that's my 'engineering fix' until it finally fails or gets bad enough then we relegate it to my workshop and buy a new one.

Firstly, keep the blades clean (wash off accumulated dust & grease) secondly with the oscillate function off remove the front guard and see if there is a lot of in / out play on the motor shaft.

One of ours was noisy when oscillating (the mechanism is driven by a little worm gear on the back of the motor shaft) and had a lot of play.

There are usually a couple of fibre washers on the motor shaft, so I went to the shop in the local market that sells parts and repairs fans and got a handful of the same washers. Reassemble the motor with a bit less play and the anoying rattle is gone.

Andrew

Edited by RetroGTAndrew

You indicate the fan was mounted? Is it one of those that rotates and when it does it makes noise? If so, the little switch needs to be replaced. Maintaining one of these fans is not rocket science. Any little thing will cause the fan to make a noise? Check to see if the metal grills are all in tact, one broken can stick in and when the fan blade turn make a noise. There is also a black knob in the center make sure it has not come loose, it so the blade might have dislodged from the metal inserts when that happens the blades slips and makes noise. Check to see if the blade is not crack if so buy a new one 120baht?

Good luck

Try tightening the screw that secures the fan blade. Tighen all cover screws and lube the swing arm. Be sure it's position is level swinging back and forth. If that does not work give it away and buy a new one.

Often because the large plastic bolt which holds the fan blades in place on has loosened.

Take protective barrier off and tighten the plastic bolt.

If this does not eliminate the problem, remove the fan blades, and check to see that the bracket behind the blade hasn't loosened.

Might be worth mentioning to turn it anticlockwise to tighten.

Personally I change the motor, on two occasions I have had this problem and it appeared the motor was on it's last legs, so rather than fostering around, I just stuck in a new one.

Edited by dotpoom

We have a stand fan in the bedroom, most nights it is silent as a mouse (ok, a big rat), but on occasion it rattles, or buzzes, or both.

It doesn't seem to matter if it's just been cleaned or is approaching needing a clean, I've tightened everything that can be tightened, lubricated the bearings, but still, occasionally, noises.

A swift thump to the guard tends to shut it up for the night, so that's my 'engineering fix' until it finally fails or gets bad enough then we relegate it to my workshop and buy a new one.

Simple.

It's the guard being slightly loose.

Take the front guard off altogether. Problem solved.

Just don't walk into it while half asleep and bullox naked. It will cause a much, much, louder and higher pitched noise then.

Simple.

It's the guard being slightly loose.

Take the front guard off altogether. Problem solved.

Just don't walk into it while half asleep and bullox naked. It will cause a much, much, louder and higher pitched noise then.

If the guard is that safety-cage than never run it without that cage. Once in a restaurant a big noise came from a wallfan, a blade had broken off but was still in the cage with the other blades slapping it around.

This can even start a fire if you're not there.

The local highschool Workshop class or whatever they call it should offer these sorts of projects as extracurricular activities.

Bring in a broken electrical appliance and the teacher and group of students can look at fixing it for a small fee.

The students would learn, get some extra money, locals could get their stuff fixed cheaply while helping the community.

Hey! Who am I joking! They're busy impregnating and shooting each other. Get the local motosai taxi know-it-all to break it even more for 100 baht. smile.png

You should post were you live. It might help someone direct you to help. For example, where I live there is a guy who only fixes fans who works out of his house. Always cheap and when its parts like resistors and capacitors he has it all ready to go. If you don't know how to take of the blade and see if the nuts are loose it means you must have never cleaned your fan which can cause a variety of issues. At the very least you can carefully rinse the blades (not the motor) in the shower. Let it dry off in the sun and you are better off than before.

What do you have it set on ? myself always take all my fans to bits a couple of times a year + do have a lot of fans. they get very dirty, with me clogged up with dog hairs, spindle goes rusty, bearings dry...

I ask what speed, as sometimes become noisy, and if you start on high speed and after 5 mins set on low there is no noise = need to be stripped in the next few days.. the house was built and ready to move into 12 years ago yesterday, in this time the only fans to be replaced were 2 wall fans both of them there plastic casing broke and fell off the wall.

As another poster said, when the motor no longer works 200 baht get a new motor fitted.