I want to learn at Thai University with Thai students in Thai language classes

I've been learning Thai and working as a Teacher since 2012. It's very difficult to quantify language skills, but at this point I can read newspapers and books as well as watch movies and understand fairly well. I'm definitely not a language savant, but I do work hard at it and I study everyday.

One of my dreams has been to learn at a Thai university, not in an international program, but in the regular Thai program. In other words, I want my classmates to be Thai and all homework/instructions in Thai as well. I don't think I'm fully ready for that yet (I've barely ever practiced writing essays in Thai), but I figure if I work hard at it, I should eventually be able to write academically in Thai--of course not well (it's not my native language), but hopefully well enough to at least participate in a degree program.

I have a humanities bachelor's degree from a top U.S. school, which should qualify me for a master's (I'm not really interested in redoing a B.A. unless there was a way I could fast-track it; I'm not sure I want to spend 4 more years of my life in school!). Funnily enough, even though I really like the idea of doing this, I'm still not sure exactly what I want to learn. I'm split between choosing something very practical, such as business management, or doing something that I personally enjoy (art), which I wouldn't pursue in the US due to costs but may be cheaper here in Thailand.

I know some Thai people who studied with me at University here in the U.S. and I'm so impressed with their English skills; they're truly very smart people (one is now at Harvard Law). I would love to do what they did, namely go to a Thai university and be forced to use my Thai skills in an academic setting where I will be challenged to think critically and write well. I think it could be enormously challenging, but very rewarding.

So what I'm asking is, does anyone know any foreigners who have successfully enrolled in all-Thai programs and if so, could they put me in touch with them? I specifically want to know how I can prove my Thai abilities and what standardized tests I would need to take (ONET?) in order to apply, though I suppose that depends on the program.

So has anyone on this forum done a similar kind of thing or know anyone who has?

Thanks!

(PS, I found this earlier thread, but it's not very specific: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/706348-thai-competency-for-university-local-program/)

I've seen Turkish students often study English in a 4 year bachelor's degree (Tha)i program at Payap University. When they arrive at Payap they study Thai until they're at a level they can compete in a Thai classroom. They graduate being fluent in Thai language.

The way you describe how you want to study makes me think doing something similar as the Turkish students are doing may be your best option. Also, to avoid spending a lot of money, try enrolling at a university like Ratchabht where tuition is very low.

That's interesting about the Turkish students. I'll definitely look into Payap University. Is it possible for you to find out the exact course of study those Turkish students were pursuing? If that's too much trouble, I don't want to bother, but it would be a good lead for me to figure out what kind of programs will accept Thai-speaking foreigners.

There must be other foreigners who have done what I'm interested in. Even at the elite schools like Chula there must have been ambitious foreigners who learned Thai well enough to learn there. Here in the U.S., top schools have people from all over the world, and if they study the sciences, sometimes their English isn't even all that great.

Right now I don't feel strong enough in Thai to do this, but if I know what kind of program accepts people like me and what kind of tests I need to take, then I can work towards getting my Thai skills proficient enough.

I've known Westerners attend Thai universities for a year as a part of their degrees in the West but don't know of any Thai universities who allow foreigners to enrol on Thai degree courses. If your language skills are up to scratch, I'd say try contacting the admissions tutors of any courses you are interested in.

be forced to use my Thai skills in an academic setting where I will be challenged to think critically and write well

Sorry to sound like a jaded old expat but these are qualities not encouraged in Thai Universities.

It is basically 'listen to teacher and hope some of it soaks in come exam time'

I think it could be enormously challenging, but very rewarding.

I'd say it would be very challenging indeed unless you are 'fluent' in Thai.

Good luck and please come back with your findings and experiences.

That's interesting about the Turkish students. I'll definitely look into Payap University. Is it possible for you to find out the exact course of study those Turkish students were pursuing? If that's too much trouble, I don't want to bother, but it would be a good lead for me to figure out what kind of programs will accept Thai-speaking foreigners.

There must be other foreigners who have done what I'm interested in. Even at the elite schools like Chula there must have been ambitious foreigners who learned Thai well enough to learn there. Here in the U.S., top schools have people from all over the world, and if they study the sciences, sometimes their English isn't even all that great.

Right now I don't feel strong enough in Thai to do this, but if I know what kind of program accepts people like me and what kind of tests I need to take, then I can work towards getting my Thai skills proficient enough.

They are English majors.

Archived