UPS advice needed.

malt25

Hi all.

Lately getting more power cuts. Usually just local outage & maybe for an hour or so.

I "think" I need a UPS. I know nothing about this sort of thing.

Really appreciate any, all advice re purchasing said equipment.

Specifications... brand... cost.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers..... Mal.

First question, what do you want to power during the power outtages? From there you can decide on how big of an UPS you need, keep in the mind the batery will probaby need to be replace every 3 years or so (this is based on the 10+ UPS I have at my office for computer use).

First question, what do you want to power during the power outtages? From there you can decide on how big of an UPS you need, keep in the mind the batery will probaby need to be replace every 3 years or so (this is based on the 10+ UPS I have at my office for computer use).

Only looking to power a laptop & modem. No problem if battery has to be replaced every 3 or so years.

Cheers..... Mal.

If you are happy to be able to save your work, shut down gracefully, and wait for the mains power to kick back in, a 500VA unit will do, 1500-3000 baht. If you want to continue working for an hour with many items connected it starts to get expensive. APC, Syndome, Powercom are some well known brands sold in Thailand.

I use the brand Powercom distributed by Powermatic company at my office, they can be purchased at IT City or Office Mate, Office Mate online also delivers to your door free for orders over 499 baht. If you are just using it to save your work, the cheapest one should be fine.

This brand has a 2 year warranty and on site service (Bangkok and surrounding areas). Been using it for the past 5 years and had good experience with it.

APC is also a good brand.

Edited by mike324

Only looking to power a laptop & modem. No problem if battery has to be replaced every 3 or so years.

Cheers..... Mal.

Lappy does not need a UPS (if the lappy battery is in good health).

Modem will use naff all power so only a small UPS needed. Keep in mind though if the power is out in the whole street there is a chance you exchange also has no power so modem will be useless.

Maybe look at an aircard to plug into the lappy for internet access.

Cheers..... Mal.

Lappy does not need a UPS (if the lappy battery is in good health).

Modem will use naff all power so only a small UPS needed. Keep in mind though if the power is out in the whole street there is a chance you exchange also has no power so modem will be useless.

Maybe look at an aircard to plug into the lappy for internet access.

Maybe OP does not want to change lappy battery as it probably cost more than the UPS biggrin.png or OP forgot that most likely no internet too during power outtages so powering the modem is useless unelss you have an aircard.

An UPS is to allow successful shutdown of an electronic device in the event of a power outage. Generators are for powering items when local power is out.

UPS means Uninterrrupted Power Supply for gadgets powered by electricity. it may of course be used to shutdown an electric or electronic device but that is irrelevant.

a properly designed UPS, depending on capacity, makes a generator redundant for many hours without grid power, e.g. one of the 4 beauties i installed in my home.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/896592-living-offgrid-with-small-solar-systems/page-9#entry10496378

post-35218-0-12079000-1459001409_thumb.j

Where we live, there are a lot of power outages. I had a small UPS that gave me time to shut down my computer. Then I sat in the dark. It finally died and I bought a much larger one. That gave me about 45 minutes run time before sitting in the dark. I then bought a generator. That was fine except for having to go outside and start the thing. A pain. Now I have four 65 AH AGM batteries and two solar panels to charge the batteries That was three years ago and I have never looked back. My little solar system runs the computer, printer, lights and a fan. My computer room is totally off the electric grid. No low voltage, no power spikes and no worry about lightening strikes.

An UPS is to allow successful shutdown of an electronic device in the event of a power outage. Generators are for powering items when local power is out.

UPS means Uninterrrupted Power Supply for gadgets powered by electricity. it may of course be used to shutdown an electric or electronic device but that is irrelevant.

a properly designed UPS, depending on capacity, makes a generator redundant for many hours without grid power, e.g. one of the 4 beauties i installed in my home.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/896592-living-offgrid-with-small-solar-systems/page-9#entry10496378

attachicon.gifUPS.jpg

Now that is an UPS on steroids

attachicon.gifUPS.jpg

Now that is an UPS on steroids

it just does the job what it is supposed to do. nothing more, nothing less.