Songkhla Teen Commits Suicide After Internet Eggs Her On

rooster59

Songkhla Teen Commits Suicide After Internet Eggs Her On

By Sasiwan Mokkhasen
Staff Reporter

post-247607-0-88180400-1459004454_thumb.

A relative of a 15-year-old girl who committed suicide talks to police Friday in front of her home in Songkhla’s Nathawee district.

SONGKHLA — Health officials are urging concern about the effects of social media after a teen girl was thought to have been prodded by Facebook comments to go through with hanging herself.

The 15-year-old, Grade 9 student in southern Thailand was found dead by police Friday after she wrote about committing suicide on Facebook and her comments were widely shared. Prior to her death, the girl posted a photo posing with a rope in a manner suggesting she intended to kill herself.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1458981176

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-03-26

Unfortunately social media suicides are becoming more common and a recent phenomena.

Social Media and Suicide: A Public Health Perspective

Suicide is a considerable public health problem; more than 30 000 suicide deaths in the United States and nearly 1 million suicide deaths worldwide occur every year.4,5 The role that the Internet, particularly social media, might have in suicide-related behavior is a topic of growing interest and debate.6 The recent increase in highly publicized cases of suicide that involve social media has drawn national attention to this topic.7–9 Researchers are also interested in whether the Internet in general primarily helps or hinders suicide prevention. Attempts to assess the extent of the Internet's influence on suicide behavior are difficult because of the indirect and complex association between Internet use and suicide.

Full article here - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3477910/

Social media and suicide is a relatively new phenomenon which influence suicide-ralated behavior. There is increasing evidence that this behavior changes people's life, especially in teenagers. In one of widely known cases, the death of Phoebe Prince, it is generally believed that her actions were motivated by cyberbullying. One of the explanations that have risen is the cause and effect relationship between social media advertised suicides and younger generations being influenced by them. The reasons behind kids being influenced by suicide tendencies via the internet is the psychological explanation behind "15 minutes of fame." Media tends to blow up videos and Facebook status' in order to inform the public of the rising trouble.

Wiki

All the people that egged her on should be rounded up in a room and be made to apologise to the girl's family.....[/quote)

Indirectly, they participated in this death through association so are partly responsible for the outcome.

They should go through the usual Thai 'name and shame' process publicly imposed on others found guilty of crimes. Would make others think twice about doing the same thing.

Just saying .........

How can one live with themselves,knowing they directly participated in an act that caused the death of another human being?

I'd hate to have to live with that for the rest of my life.

What has society descended into?

Into Facebook and Line junkees whose lifes are revolving around "self".

No tears from me.

.....'her comments were widely shared'....

...and how did all the pathetic sh*ts react.....

...ignore her....

...and worse....encourage her......

....let's keep pretending there is nothing wrong here....

...'good in...bad out'.....look in the collective mirror first.....

All the people that egged her on should be rounded up in a room and be made to apologise to the girl's family.....

They should be rounded up and charged with inciting or assisting a suicide.

Facebook should also be charged with poor management of their web site resulting in encouraging suicide.

How can one live with themselves,knowing they directly participated in an act that caused the death of another human being?

I'd hate to have to live with that for the rest of my life.

What has society descended into?

Into Facebook and Line junkees whose lifes are revolving around "self".

No tears from me.

So not one shred of compassion or empathy from you for this girl that killed herself? Not one bit of outrage because others encouraged her to commit suicide? Jesus wept, man ............

What a shame. Any real friend would have immediately alerted a responsible family member. Facebook is probably the most useless thing ever invented. I agree with the poster who indicated Facebook should show some responsibility for not monitoring a post such as the girl made or the responses. I really wonder sometimes how the World has gotten so unfeeling and coarse.

What a shame. Any real friend would have immediately alerted a responsible family member. Facebook is probably the most useless thing ever invented. I agree with the poster who indicated Facebook should show some responsibility for not monitoring a post such as the girl made or the responses. I really wonder sometimes how the World has gotten so unfeeling and coarse.

I posted like Thaidream but must comment that I agree with you wholeheartedly . I looked for someone on Sit on my face book , the following week I had 200 friends who I will never meet , proper friends take a while to show up not instantly appear, I am glad I am from a time when you made friends not brand new ones at the press of a key.

.....'her comments were widely shared'....

...and how did all the pathetic sh*ts react.....

...ignore her....

...and worse....encourage her......

....let's keep pretending there is nothing wrong here....

...'good in...bad out'.....look in the collective mirror first.....

Her comments were widely shared...

The sad part about this is the young lady was crying out for help

an not one person responded or cried out to authorities to help her.

makes me sick...

All the people that egged her on should be rounded up in a room and be made to apologise to the girl's family.....

They should be rounded up and charged with inciting or assisting a suicide.

Facebook should also be charged with poor management of their web site resulting in encouraging suicide.

Any other criminal charges you'd like to invent and charge them with?

Just because the suicide occurred after the comments does not mean the suicide occurred because of the comments. Ad hoc ergo propter hoc informal fallacy.

The girl chose to kill herself. She wasn't coerced. It's sad but it's not the fault of Facebook or other members of the public.

What caused her death? We don't know. It again shows how important it is for suicidal people to discuss their issues with those who are in a position to help.

Hanging herself in the family's living room... maybe she did reach out. The family don't want to discuss it. It shouldn't be up to them. A death has occurred.

While I understand where you're coming from, what if a TV member committed suicide because of comments from other TV members on this forum? Just saying...

Archived