iOS 9.3 Update - Don't do it

Cynical Sailor

If you haven't yet updated your iPhone or iPad to iOS 9.3 please hold off on doing it.

There's a known issue regarding Safari (and in my case Chrome). When you click a link Safari freezes and Chrome won't open the link.

In older devices there are several more bugs.

Apparently Apple are aware of the issues and working on a fix.

You're welcome.

It's not the first time updates have caused problems. I have 3 family members who've had their IPhones replaced for free after the phones locked up from updates.

Here's a news item about the latest update.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/gadgets/mobile-phones/apple-pulls-back-software-update-after-ios-93-locks-users-out-of-older-devices/news-story/014d6e25e35e4c5c935b476e386db23f

Apple pulls back software update after iOS 9.3 locks users out of older devices

IT WAS the update that promised to make Apple devices better, but instead users of older model smart phones and iPads have been locked out.

If you’ve got an iPhone 5 or a fourth generation iPad (or earlier), it’s unlikely you will be getting Night Shift today, after Apple decided to pull back its iOS 9.3 software update.

Somehow Apple is starting to drop the ball.Something seriously wrong.If they don't fix their quality control then I'm done buying Apple

Products.Will sell the stock also.They aren't testing it very well before they put it out there

Somehow Apple is starting to drop the ball.Something seriously wrong.If they don't fix their quality control then I'm done buying Apple

Products.Will sell the stock also.They aren't testing it very well before they put it out there

It was a known bug in the Beta versions yet remained in the final release. Someone will be getting their butt kicked!

In an case, Apple is still better than Android (phone) or Windows (PC).

The 9.3 at this stage is a roll of the dice. But you're more likely to end up with a brick if you're on an older device.

Despite the update being pulled almost 48 hrs after launch, there are dozens of devices that got bricked.

That's a new low even for Apple.

iPhone 6, encountered that problem this afternoon. Pressed a link, it failed to do anything, shut the tab, tried again, it worked...

Annoying, but for the 64th OS upgrade I've done since OS 2.0, the overwhelming majority without a hitch, I think I can cut them some leeway.

I stopped updating my iPad 3 some time ago, as every time I did so, it would get slower and clunkier and a pain. Anyone want to buy an iPad3 32gb?

Planned obsolescence at its finest, force updates that "fix" bugs but slow the device down, well before its normal lifespan is over, cant get a much better business model.

Edited by kaorop

I stopped updating my iPad 3 some time ago, as every time I did so, it would get slower and clunkier and a pain. Anyone want to buy an iPad3 32gb?

Planned obsolescence at its finest, force updates that "fix" bugs but slow the device down, well before its normal lifespan is over, cant get a much better business model.

yes ios8 and ios9 did really do that.. but i have to say on my ipad3 ios9.3 makes a big difference in speed .. since threads are now handled much better ...

this effect is since the beta 4 .. was a very big and positive suprise ..

1. Updates aren't forced. They must be accepted.

2. You could have an Android and rarely get updates. That way all the old discovered security exploits, bugs, etc stay with you forever. Hackers and criminals LOVE Android users.

The 9.3 at this stage is a roll of the dice. But you're more likely to end up with a brick if you're on an older device.

Despite the update being pulled almost 48 hrs after launch, there are dozens of devices that got bricked.

No you are not more likely to end up with a brick if you are on an older device:

“Updating some iOS devices (iPhone 5s and earlier and iPad Air and earlier) to iOS 9.3 can require entering the Apple ID and password used to set up the device in order to complete the software update. In some cases, if customers do not recall their password, their device will remain in an inactivated state until they can recover or reset their password. For these older devices, we have temporarily pulled back the update and will release an updated version of iOS 9.3 in the next few days that does not require this step.”

So yes, if you forgot or could not find your Apple ID and password, you had a problem. And the phones are not "bricked". You can still do a restore. I think most people understand 'bricked' to be synonymous with 'FUBAR'.

No you are not more likely to end up with a brick if you are on an older device:

“Updating some iOS devices (iPhone 5s and earlier and iPad Air and earlier) to iOS 9.3 can require entering the Apple ID and password used to set up the device in order to complete the software update. In some cases, if customers do not recall their password, their device will remain in an inactivated state until they can recover or reset their password. For these older devices, we have temporarily pulled back the update and will release an updated version of iOS 9.3 in the next few days that does not require this step.”

So yes, if you forgot or could not find your Apple ID and password, you had a problem. And the phones are not "bricked". You can still do a restore. I think most people understand 'bricked' to be synonymous with 'FUBAR'.

While updating to 9.3 the phone got unresponsive. Last thing I saw was the apple logo advancing almost to the end and then nothing . Now it won't turn on. Tried to do DFU and during restoring firmware came back with error 3014. Tried on Mac book air, same response.

The phone is recognized by both computer and iTunes. Can be restored to factory settings and when you're on the Summary page, everything is displayed properly with the correct phone number, serial number, iOS 9.3 and some 27 GB free of space (it's the 32GB model).

You can go on and sync fm the iTunes music, apps, etc if you want.

The phone however is still unresponsive, won't turn on.

How is that NOT a brick??

As for the updated update is out since this morning. Will definitely give it a go with my brick first. If all goes well the others will follow.

Yes, that does sound like a brick. But your issue of not even being able to switch your phone on is not the same as the bug was happening to so many people who did not enter their Apple ID and password, thus causing an activation fail that they could not get around.

My mini 2 was already updated to 9.3 a few days ago, without any issues. I noticed this morning that it did an automatic re-update. My iPhone 6S didn't do this re-update, and is running fine.