how to find gmail password in macbook?

cheeryble

Hi I use two devices a macbook Air and an iPad mini.

Recently the iPad was lifted and I had to renew.

Google still seems to send occasional password requests and I don't know why but today on iPad I seem to get it wrong......(lost my iPad password list when phone pinched)

It send the code to my phone for two step verification which i entered but told me my username (gmail address) and password don't match.

My macbook is still getting gmail fine so I',m thinking th password must be inside there.

I looked up keychain access but can't seem to find the correct gmail in the list to get the password by pressing "i"

What to do?

I'd rather not go through the changing password process as at least now I get gmail on the macbook and don't want any chance of being locked out

thanks

not so sure about the background .. but okay .. (as i not really want to change passwords myself too) wink.png

here you go:

security find-internet-password -ga [email protected]

this will export the password for a keychain entry where the account field is filled with "[email protected]"

post-10896-0-22009100-1459403078_thumb.j

the password in the example-screen is from a svn repro .. but its exactly the same with email

Edited by nullx8

Thank you nummx8 that looks very useful.

Brain is gone and forgot how to get that screen up you show for installing direct instructions.

Can't even remember it's name.......please?

ALSO

when you write "[email protected]" so I presume I replace that with my gmail address or actually use "your"?

THanks

IMHO: I know about keychain access and have gone there but don't find the gmail account I need listed , though it may be among a whole jumble of google stuff and a possibly out of date password.

Prefer to look systematically.

forgot how to get that screen up you show for installing direct instructions.

Can't even remember it's name.......please?

ALSO

when you write "[email protected]" so I presume I replace that with my gmail address or actually use "your"?

THanks

sorry

Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal

and yes "your@.." is just the email addres

My God nullx8 it seems to have worked!

Brilliant work!

It's certainly given me a password I've used though I thought I'd totally changed it.

Thinking how to test it without giving myself a chance of lockout if it's chosen the wrong one from the keychain list

Or just wait until challenged again?

ps Oddly gmail still arriving on both devices even though it gave me grief about not matching yesterday or day before.

Edited by cheeryble

• 2 weeks later...