Vatican probes funding for cardinal’s luxury apartment

rooster59

Vatican probes funding for cardinal’s luxury apartment

post-247607-0-60509200-1459550625_thumb.

The Vatican says it is investigating claims that money meant for a children’s hospital was used to refurbish the luxury apartment of a high-ranking cardinal.

A lawyer for Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone, who is not being personally investigated, said the cardinal never asked for or authorised any payment from the hospital foundation in relation to his residence.

The probe is focusing on the former manager of the hospital and its ex-treasurer.

According to an article in L’Espresso magazine, the work on the cardinal’s apartment cost about 400-thousand euros.

The author of the piece published a book last year alleging that money meant for sick children had been spent on Bertone’s flat.

In another case involving the hospital, Italian media have reported that 30 million euros of state funds destined for the hospital was diverted to save a different Church-owned institution.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-04-02

A lawyer for Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone, who is not being personally investigated, said the cardinal never asked for or authorised any payment from the hospital foundation in relation to his residence.

Well, did he pay for it with his own wealth, or did he get a loan from God? But since he is not being investigated by his own institution, one can't really ask a simple question like that.

Edited by klauskunkel

instead they should investigate the ngo's in thailand and cambodia.

spending money on luxury goods while children starve is normal.

I am not a fan of NGO's as I believe a great number of them are nothing more than easy money scams

but I am aware of a handful that work against the current, staffed by very conscientious and hard working

people who do not rake in the cash. To those few I certainly tip my hat.

But there is also a bright side, where the complete accounting is visible online, and all the work involved is done for free.

Please be more specific. You need not name the NGO as per forum rules but please provide;

1. Location (village, city)

2. Alleged misuse of fund specific

3. Focus of NGO

For example;

1. Chiang Rai

2. Purchase of Jacuzzi for Manager

3. Education of hill tribes

I visited Chiang Rai last week for a number of reasons. I looked for some NGO abuses at some of the well known agencies. Didn't see any in the same way I have seen elsewhere. That's why I am interested in your comment.

But there is also a bright side, where the complete accounting is visible online, and all the work involved is done for free.

Nothing is "free". There are food, lodging, equipment, logistics and travel costs.

The reputable charities have transparency and publish their financials and annual reports.

Poor people worldwide doing without and scraping pennies together to give to the church and these <deleted> live like kings in all their pious and self-righteousness. People like this guy taking advantage of poor people as they and their children starve to death is one reason I'm a firm believer in Hell.

Nothing is "free". There are food, lodging, equipment, logistics and travel costs.

The reputable charities have transparency and publish their financials and annual reports.

enough said about "reputable charities".......thumbsup.gif

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/beware-charity-industry-profiting-people-6377855

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10224104/30-charity-chiefs-paid-more-than-100000.html

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jnylander/2015/09/17/is-hong-kong-a-paradise-for-charity-fraudsters-it-surely-could-be/#4e16c1a476e0

Edited by Bobotie

As a cardinal of the Catholic church he must believe in hell, his next domicile.

Organised religion...the greatest scam ever inflicted on mankind and one of the most profitable ponzi schemes for a select few

When i stayed in Mae hong son, i used to see many NGO workers driving around in new 4x4s.

Eating and drinking expensively all paid for by the NGO.

Before anybody challenges that, i saw it have names of people/NGOs.

1 man Swedish national bragged to me how easy it was to live the high life without paying for it.

Quote: " ... the cardinal never asked for or authorised any payment from the hospital foundation in relation to his residence."

But he accepted it without query, right?

"Beulah, peel me a grape!"

Sounds very much like Jacob Zuma, president of South Africa, except the costs were far higher.

".... the cardinal never asked for or authorised any payment​..."

Why would the Vatican investigate NGOs outside their control?

It would appear that someone didn't think before typing.

enough said about "reputable charities".......thumbsup.gif

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/beware-charity-industry-profiting-people-6377855

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10224104/30-charity-chiefs-paid-more-than-100000.html

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jnylander/2015/09/17/is-hong-kong-a-paradise-for-charity-fraudsters-it-surely-could-be/#4e16c1a476e0

" ...complete accounting is visible online, and all the work involved is done for free." What's wrong with that? Sure the work is free, and 100% transparency possible, and accessible.

"The reputable charities have transparency and publish their financials and annual reports." That is also right, though I know charities, where more than 50% of their donations are being spent on salaries, and they are still considered "reputable".

BTW: I like your Avatar

What??? the biggest business in the world corrupt? say it isnt so.I refuse to believe it.

The greatest trick the devil ever played,was making us think he didn't exist.

The greatest trick the church ever played, was making us think the devil did exist :wacko: