euthanasia for dogs

A touchy subject maybe, but I need to ask. I have a dog with demodectic mange. There is no cure. I have spent a fortune on Vets medicine over the years and bathe it in recommended shampoo every other day, to no avail. It just gets worse and is pitiful for me to see it suffer. We know that vets here are reluctant to put animals down and I am wondering if when the poor animal gets too bad, there a home method to put it out of its misery painlessly? No wise cracks please.

Thais will not do any euthanasia of any animals.Better take it to the bad boy down the road and tell them, it is a reincarnation of your ex wife.

He will shoot it in the head for free.

money talks in thailand,the op has allready spent a fortune,another one wont hurt,only the heart will.

I will never get my shepherd in the uk - his back legs went - they put him down(morphine injection) he knew exactly what was going on - they had to muzzle him as he was bearing his teeth - i still miss him to this day !

In all trueness i reckon a sack over the head and a bullet is more humane- its instant !

I will never get my shepherd in the uk - his back legs went - they put him down(morphine injection) he knew exactly what was going on - they had to muzzle him as he was bearing his teeth - i still miss him to this day !

In all trueness i reckon a sack over the head and a bullet is more humane- its instant !

would you pull the trigger. you would never forgive yourself.

myself i wouldnt be within 50miles when it was done.i cant even watch my boy having a blood test or just this morning he had rabies,parvo.and worm inject.

i had my fingers in my ears.

as for my boy he just laid there for the woman vet to do it.

Are you sure it's demodectic mange? Over the years I've seen some terrible cases, these cases are often used by the likes of Soi dog on their ads for before and after pics. It is a long job treating it but in time should get better.

Have you had scrapes sent to a lab or blood tests?

On your question of euthanasia , I doubt any vet it Thailand would put a dog to sleep if it was only demodectic mange. Who's told you there is no cure?

Could you post some pics?

Are you sure it's demodectic mange? Over the years I've seen some terrible cases, these cases are often used by the likes of Soi dog on their ads for before and after pics. It is a long job treating it but in time should get better.

On your question of euthanasia , I doubt any vet it Thailand would put a dog to sleep if it was only demodectic mange. Who's told you there is no cure?

The Vet, to all your questions. I'll try to do some pics. It is the continuous scratching that must be making the dogs life a misery.

Should be possible to control the itching with medication.

In addition, there are medications other than the shampoo which can help treat this condition.

May be worth taking the dog to a university vetinerary hospital. The condition can be cured....for which reason, even the few Thai vets willing to euthenize animals, are not likely to do so for you dog.

I suspect that is the shampoo he refers to

Ivemectin is a systemic drug that is also used and given lack of response to topical a Vet might suggest it. Again, need to see a really good Vet.

Far from a shampoo,RIDD a liquid dip concentrate,used by vets,throughout India US too,fact is wherever it can be obtained a powerful medicate,care not to put in mouth or eyes. Look it up on the net

post-208811-0-88587600-1459777743_thumb.

Edited by loppylugs1

Probably is mange,but if not skin ailment,more likely fungal or bacterial. Buy lowest dosage for both at pharmacy,anti fungal/bacterial...ones cheap,the other not so, crush them,and put in dogs food for a week,a shotgun approach,but works well

what a great photo of a loving family member[the dog that is] if thats the one you lost KC my heart would be broken toooooooooooooooooo.

THATS WHAT LOVE IS.

MEATBOY LOVE ME LOVE MY DOG.

how i wish someone would come and show a daft taff how to post photo's.

Edited by meatboy

If there's one thing this thread highlights, its the need to find a good vet. They're hard to find and more expensive than the usual vets when you find them, but its worth the money to find someone who is more likely to diagnose the problem correctly and understand that we will happily pay for the correct treatment when tests point to the diagnosis being right.

would you pull the trigger. you would never forgive yourself.

myself i wouldnt be within 50miles when it was done.i cant even watch my boy having a blood test or just this morning he had rabies,parvo.and worm inject.

i had my fingers in my ears.

as for my boy he just laid there for the woman vet to do it.

Everyone to their own, but it wouldn't occur to me not to be there, comforting my pet when they're having blood taken/injections etc. etc. - far less when they're suffering so badly (and no end in sight), and being 'put to sleep' is the only way to end their suffering.

Of course it destroys me to do this, and (as an emotional person) I've never understood how I could hold myself together until later. But I always have, and only fell to pieces later - for months and sometimes years.

Edited by dick dasterdly

People deal with these things in different ways Dick ,

I cant stand needles too !

Neither can I! When my dogs are given injections/blood taken, I look in their eyes as I can't bear to see the needle.

But I agree, we all deal with things in different ways. I didn't intend to put the other poster down as being uncaring - its v clear that he loves his dogs.

Neither can I! When my dogs are given injections/blood taken, I look in their eyes as I can't bear to see the needle.

But I agree, we all deal with things in different ways. I didn't intend to put the other poster down as being uncaring - its v clear that he loves his dogs.

i have to have my INR done every month it makes my toes curl.

i think most of us have gone through so called vets,i can tell you stories that you cant make up.

in over 20yrs.of being a greyhound owner/trainer i hadnt had any problem with vets in the uk.

what makes me and the wife mad is they think we are so stupid to fall for their practice of,theiving,incompetance and lack of basic animal care.

if these were back in the uk.3 out of 5 would have been struck off.

as for the topic the reason why they wont perform EUTHANASIA is because thats the end of the gravy train.

wouldnt it be nice if we had a vet or two coming on thai visa to answer some of our complaints.

Edited by meatboy

i have to have my INR done every month it makes my toes curl.

i think most of us have gone through so called vets,i can tell you stories that you cant make up.

in over 20yrs.of being a greyhound owner/trainer i hadnt had any problem with vets in the uk.

what makes me and the wife mad is they think we are so stupid to fall for their practice of,theiving,incompetance and lack of basic animal care.

if these were back in the uk.3 out of 5 would have been struck off.

as for the topic the reason why they wont perform EUTHANASIA is because thats the end of the gravy train.

wouldnt it be nice if we had a vet or two coming on thai visa to answer some of our complaints.

I have discussed euthanasia with a number of Thai vets (including one at Kaset Animal Hospital), in an effort to understand their attitudes about this procedure. The conclusion I have come to is that the extreme reluctance to perform euthanasia is largely due to the fact that the procedure is spiritually compromising and emotionally draining for the doctor to perform. Plain and simply, the vets don't want to perform this procedure due to Buddhist precepts, fear of incurring bad karma, or other spiritual beliefs. When you think about it, if you were a vet, would you enjoy putting pets to sleep? Probably not. It's certainly not something I would enjoy doing. Because the demand from Thais for vets to perform this procedure is quite low, and Thai vets aren't under much professional pressure to perform this procedure, the veterinary profession's response to requests from foreigners for this procedure to be performed can best be described as frustrating.

In order to avoid this unpleasant task, they seem to drag their feet, hoping to run out the clock and let nature take its course. I can easily understand how a Westerner could perceive this as the vet trying to extract maximum billing revenue by prolonging the pet's life while turning a blind eye the suffering of the pet, but in the vast majority of cases, I honestly do not believe that this is the motive behind the behavior.

Edited by Gecko123

That dog in the photo Meatboy - went to the vet uk - he said why do they bread these dogs ! -just because my dog was scared ! Hes a shepherd i thought - they did an operation on him - he came home all stiched up- they left the pipes/tubes inside- i had to send my mum back with my dog- i was so angry - i would have put that posh vet on his arse !

post-158982-14600006459424_thumb.jpg

Fortunately i have2 dogs now- same heart- a little bit smaller i know-

Everybody in this town loves them- even the Akha hill tribes wont touch them ( or eat them !) they know my dogs are my love [emoji240][emoji813]️

I put dogs to sleep,vet gives me Nembutal,I do it,but out of confines of him,no stethoscope so have to let legs stiffen up before I bury them.

These dogs suffer,PTS is way the best,at the moment dog with nasal tumour,on chemo,but if that dog does not pick up Ill do it to him too,seeing it struggle for breath is horrific