Filipino Con Artist On Sukumvit

Spaniel

its dead easy to spot a philipino accent. you don't need to be an expert linguist.

they curl their 'r's like americans, but the majority of pinoys can't pronounce 'f', replacing it with a 'p' instead. that's the accent in a nut shell.

no other south east asian nationality speaks english in the same way.

Dude, give me your number!

I'll talk to you and prove you wrong!

PS - Please stop generalizing! Try using SOME or MOST next time,(WHAT, Philipino card cons) especially if you don't have proof about what you're playing!

... they thoroughly enjoyed the experience they had with my shoes (as so many others do also).
Ah yes, the shoes,

It 's obvious how my TV handle came about,

cobra%20shoes.jpg

I'm rarely seen without my perfunctory cobra shoes or boots, and get commented on them daily.

Of course I'm also usually wearing my "PLEASE FUC... WITH ME" tee shirt and attendant snarl, I've found this keeps most impromptu conversations brief, :o:D

Now back on topic, of all TV threads, potential scams, new variations there of, new players, etc, is very useful info. Especially for newbies and XPs alike.

If ethnicities play into it, that's just the way the cookie crumbles. :D

Fawn seems to be up in arms defending all Filipinos asking for proof etc..

I was down Sukhumvit yesterday and the same style guys found me.. only difference being is that I speak some Tagalog... were they Filipino? Yes, and proud of it.

Every country has its share of con-artists, and it's not a reflection of the entire population, doesn't take a genius to figure that out.

Here we go!!!!!!!!!! Rushing to conclusions!

We're all adults here!

Do you even know if you talked to the same guys? And can we pls. check into this info and dig a bit more before we start the free for all bashing............

"taga pinas ka?" was all I needed to say.

Free for all bashing?... Didn't bother to read the last part of my quote did you.

GracelessFawn does seem unable to comprehend what you said.maybe she has been spending too much time drinking, if her other posts are anything to go by.....

... they thoroughly enjoyed the experience they had with my shoes (as so many others do also).
Ah yes, the shoes,

It 's obvious how my TV handle came about,

cobra%20shoes.jpg

I'm rarely seen without my perfunctory cobra shoes or boots, and get commented on them daily.

Of course I'm also usually wearing my "PLEASE FUC... WITH ME" tee shirt and attendant snarl, I've found this keeps most impromptu conversations brief, :o:D

Now back on topic, of all TV threads, potential scams, new variations there of, new players, etc, is very useful info. Especially for newbies and XPs alike.

If ethnicities play into it, that's just the way the cookie crumbles. :D

It's nice to see a fellow shoe lover, I myself stick with handmade italians, very subtle, but pure xtc for those who pay attention. I was considering having a t-shirt made similar your obviously high calibre item, but think I will stick to my faithful shirt with a very subtle "1000B" printed in bold on the front :D

its dead easy to spot a philipino accent. you don't need to be an expert linguist.

they curl their 'r's like americans, but the majority of pinoys can't pronounce 'f', replacing it with a 'p' instead. that's the accent in a nut shell.

no other south east asian nationality speaks english in the same way .

1st time I've agreed with the Dude. :o

Philipino accents are like no other..... easy to spot.

And no , I'm not an expert on accents, I don't need to be. :D

I was down Sukhumvit yesterday and the same style guys found me.. only difference being is that I speak some Tagalog... were they Filipino? Yes, and proud of it.

Every country has its share of con-artists, and it's not a reflection of the entire population, doesn't take a genius to figure that out.

We're all adults here!

Do you even know if you talked to the same guys? And can we pls. check into this info and dig a bit more before we start the free for all bashing............

Free for all bashing?... Didn't bother to read the last part of my quote did you.

GracelessFawn does seem unable to comprehend what you said.maybe she has been spending too much time drinking, if her other posts are anything to go by.....

You can't fight fair don't you?

You had to threw punches below the belt!

Always found the Filipino accent very sexy :o

Except for the one's that speak with that irritating pseudo American/Philippino accent. I'm not Uncle Sam bashing, I just prefer people to have their own national/regional accent rather than an implanted alien one.

This has been a good thread once we got through the race riots, it'll be weeks before I get the smell of burning tyres out of my clothes. Anyway it cleared up a little puzzle for me. A few weeks back I was approached here in KL by a guy who commented on my "nice shoes". I immediately thought "uh-oh, we have a nutter!" ignored him and moved on sharpish. Now I have an idea what the scam was and I'm NOT making any accusations of his nationality.

Rule #1. If approached by a stranger in the street with any story, particularly those with coincedental twists, it's a scam.

Rule #2. If approached by a stranger in the street and she is extremely attractive suggest you check in to <insert name> hotel.

I have just come across this thread and some experiences echo my own about a year ago in Isetan. I was approached by a Malaysian guy and his sister (before this starts a flame war that is what they said they were). First he remarked about my shoes and asked where I got them from and then told me that his sister was going to London and could I meet her. At that point I excused myself so I am not sure where it was all leading. My shoes by the way are a nice Clarks casual and I have no connection with Clarks other than a satisfied customer.

It amazes me that some mugs must actually fall for this, i mean they are still there so it was be profitable?

1 born every minute i guess.... i can just picture some idiot talking to them and thinking to himself "Yes a game of cards with this nice bloke does sound like fun!"

It gets better... Sometimes a low-life falang is used! Typically the renegade falang tries to get falang to go to card games with him and other thais/philipinos. He claims he can win the 'bent' card games, in the hope of others joining him at the table. Dodgsville!

Wonder what the ratio of scams / suckers actually is? I heard that the Nigerian email scams net millions $ / year. After oil, it seems like its what drives their economy. :D

I think Bangladesh just usurped Nigeria as "most corrupt nation" in some poll, so the Nigerians have maybe been resting on their laurels a little too much? :o

We're all adults here!

You can't fight fair don't you?

You had to threw punches below the belt!

I always go below the belt.... :o

The other common scam these kind of guys pull is to invite you for a drink and they slip something into your drink to drug you and end up robbing you that way. Don't know if that's what these particular guys are doing, but Filipinos are well-known for pulling this scam in the Philippines as well as the card game scam.

Hey Soju,

I was stationed in the Philippines for 8 years with the US Navy and along the way I learned how to speak fairly fluent Tagalog (their national language) and in addition to that I saw these con-men a mile away and definitely avoided them.

Next time I'm in Bangkok, I may try to con the con-men just to have some fun. I'm too smart to let anyone let alone a conman rob me out of my hard earned money.

Food for thought

Mike

Sorry Mike, or retirednavyman.

The "official" language of the Philippines is "Pilipino", a Tagalog based language. Tagolog being the "official" language is a common misconception. I base this fact on 1) dealing with the Philippine Embassy regarding Trafficking in Persons, and 2) Websters Collegiate Dictionary. According to my POCs at the Philippine Embassy, a lower class or un-educated person from a poor rural area would consider Tagalog as an "official" language.

(who I think are Filipinos)

I'm curious to know why you thought they were Filipinos?

I think you should be more certain about this before you make such assumptions. Filipinos, Malaysians, Thais, Laosans, Vietnamese, Cambodians and Indonesians (and others) all have a very similar look.

Was it their English ability that lead you to that assumption, or perhaps they spoke Tagalog?

I have lived in SE Asia for many years (since 1967) and have traveled extensively in Asia before retiring here to Thailand. It just like to many westerners all Asians look alike but to any one who has lived in Asia you can easily spot the differencee between a Thai and a Malay, etc. and the same goes when the different ethnic groups speak English. I think Filipinos speak English in a way that makes them fairly easy to identify as a Filipino. That's why I assumed they were from the PI. Perhaps others will agree.

Last 2 weeks I was watching ON THE RUN on Discovery Channel. According to this show this guy name MR. Wee, he is a con man involving with mutimillion dollars scam in Canada and he commited serious crime in his own country ( Malaysia or Indonesia not sure. i forgot) but the show say now he might be in Thailand. Watch out!!

(who I think are Filipinos)

I'm curious to know why you thought they were Filipinos?

I think you should be more certain about this before you make such assumptions. Filipinos, Malaysians, Thais, Laosans, Vietnamese, Cambodians and Indonesians (and others) all have a very similar look.

Was it their English ability that lead you to that assumption, or perhaps they spoke Tagalog?

You obviously haven't spent much time in S/E Asia.

If you spend some time in each country it is very easy to tell a Filipino from a Viet from a Thai.

Filipinos also have an American accent when speaking English.

I've met a few Nigerian scamsters in my travels. There are a lot in Shinjuku,Tokyo pulling punters into bars. At least they're honest when it comes to one thing. I was thinking about going to Africa and asked one of these Nigerians about Nigeria. He said "Dont go. It's a very &lt;deleted&gt;@k#d up place with very &lt;deleted&gt;@k#d up people".

I was just at Silom near Robinsons department store when I was approached by one of these characters. I’m kicking myself for not having had more patience to see

what would happen next…………………..

He was standing around near the BTS and then started to walk along with me ( which instantly made me think - here we go ! :D when he said to me “ nice shoes ” and I immediately thought- those words are familiar after reading this forum three days ago ! I said to him " you are not from the Philippines by any chance are you " ?! ( when I could see clearly he was from his prominent Phillipino accent :D ) but he said no I’m from Hawaii ………..

Then I asked him if he was going to take me somewhere and give me drugs

and then steal my money just to test his reaction and he was speechless ……… :o

At that point I said I had nothing more to say to him and walked away.

So these guys are evidently everywhere – be careful

Wonder if these scammers who take unwitting victims to play card games always use the same address? :o

What if one plays around and go with them to the place where the supposed betting area is and then back-off and give tip-off to the boys in brown? :D

It just like to many westerners all Asians look alike but to any one who has lived in Asia you can easily spot the differencee between a Thai and a Malay, etc. .

That's nonsense. I've been living in Thailand with my Filipino girl for almost a year now, and NOBODY, I repeat NOBODY has EVER picked her out as Filipino...and the same goes for all her Filipino friends that have travelled to Thailand. ALL Thais think she is Thai. Even my girl cannot pick out the Filipino in a crowd (provided no one speaks of course). It's not the point here, but you wouldn't pick her as Filipino even on her accent.

It's interesting that you can see the difference considering that Thais cannot.

I'm only talking about looks here, and not how they sound.

If we put for example 10 Malaysians, 10 Indonesians, 10 Thais, 10 Laosans, 10 Vietnamese, 10 Camobodians and 10 Filipinos in a lineup and dressed them the same making sure to pick a random 10 from each country, I would put any amount of money down that you will not be able to distinguish them exept by luck no matter how long you've lived in SE Asia.

Edited by tropo

You obviously haven't spent much time in S/E Asia.

It depends what you call long. Almost 7 years in the Philippines and a year in Thailand, so I do know Filipino accents.

I can tell you that Filipinos can speak English in a number of accents. My girl speaks it with an Australian accent.

The under/uneducated girls usually pick up the accent of their boyfriends/husbands.

The more educated ones do use the American accent.

I'm not about to assume a scammer is Filipino unless I have decent evidence to prove it. There are a lot of trolls on here, and a few stories by obviously biased members don't cut it for me. You believe what you want to believe.

If any members are serious about having these alleged scammers taken care of, it would be very simple indeed. If anyone took the time to report to the police that there are "Filipino scammers" operating in a particular location, I'm sure the police would be motivated to investigate, particularly because foreign nationals are allegedly involved.

Edited by tropo

I pick Asian nationalities by the way they speak English. Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand and The Phillipines nationals all speak English differently. PI and Singapore are probably the easiest to pick because they are more familiar with English.

BTW...bumped into one of these Filipino guys about 2 months ago in Siam Discovery Centre. He stopped me by saying "hey, nice shorts". I thought he was trying to hit on me and didn't stick around for anything else.

Edited by sibeymai

The Philippines is the most corrupt nation on earth. I would trust Africa with my Grandmother in comparison.

Is that so? How did you come to that conclusion?

Could you supply the links to some detailed studies on world-wide corruption, or did you just come to that conclusion after walking around the shopping malls in Manila.

" There are a lot of trolls on here, and a few stories by obviously biased members don't cut it for me. You believe what you want to believe.If any members are serious about having these alleged scammers taken care of, it would be very simple indeed. If anyone took the time to report to the police that there are "Filipino scammers" operating in a particular location, I'm sure the police would be motivated to investigate, particularly because foreign nationals are allegedly involved "

Tropo - dont be so naive :o

Tropo, these stories are not from biased members, we just reported on what happened. One of the guys actually had a chat with them in Tagalog and they told him they were from the Phillipines, so perhaps that's evidence enough. Alternatively pop down there and say hello yourself.

It just like to many westerners all Asians look alike but to any one who has lived in Asia you can easily spot the differencee between a Thai and a Malay, etc. .

That's nonsense. I've been living in Thailand with my Filipino girl for almost a year now, and NOBODY, I repeat NOBODY has EVER picked her out as Filipino...and the same goes for all her Filipino friends that have travelled to Thailand. ALL Thais think she is Thai. Even my girl cannot pick out the Filipino in a crowd (provided no one speaks of course). It's not the point here, but you wouldn't pick her as Filipino even on her accent.

It's interesting that you can see the difference considering that Thais cannot.

I'm only talking about looks here, and not how they sound.

If we put for example 10 Malaysians, 10 Indonesians, 10 Thais, 10 Laosans, 10 Vietnamese, 10 Camobodians and 10 Filipinos in a lineup and dressed them the same making sure to pick a random 10 from each country, I would put any amount of money down that you will not be able to distinguish them exept by luck no matter how long you've lived in SE Asia.

Must agree with you on that point. We lived in Manila two years, and my Thai wife was routinely assumed to be a Filipina. I used to know some Filpinas here in BKK years ago and Thais always assumed they were Thai, even when they couldn't speak Thai.

We part company on the difficulty in identifying Filipinos by their speech. Sure there are Filipinos that learned English overseas, etc. but I would wager that you could pick Filipinos out from amongst Thais by the way they speak English with 90%+ accuracy.

Tropo, these stories are not from biased members, we just reported on what happened. One of the guys actually had a chat with them in Tagalog and they told him they were from the Phillipines, so perhaps that's evidence enough. Alternatively pop down there and say hello yourself.

Not quite Bkk, one of the guys CLAIMED he had a chat with them in Tagalog. That's where the trolling comes in. There's my claim, he's a troll.

Give me the exact location where these guys are operating and I'll gladly pop down there myself and say hello. I'll give them your regards and even take some photos.