Filipino Con Artist On Sukumvit

Spaniel

Your condemnation of all Filipinos because of your negative experiences with some Filipinos is a textbook example of racism.

Again, 'Philipino' is not a race, hence it cannot be racism. Thank you for deluting the term.

1. Filipino is not a race, agreed.

2. Filipinos are the citizens of the nation known as the Philippines.

3. Something like 95%+ of the inhabitants of the Philippines belong to the same racial group of Austronesian people.

4. Condemning all Filipinos as "mendicants, liars and cheats"based on the actions of some is therefore tantamount to condemning them based on race--ergo libya115 comments can properly be construed as racist.

You might benefit from picking up a dictionary too--deluting??

Edited by qualtrough

Your condemnation of all Filipinos because of your negative experiences with some Filipinos is a textbook example of racism.

Again, 'Philipino' is not a race, hence it cannot be racism. Thank you for deluting the term.

1. Filipino is not a race, agreed.

2. Filipinos are the citizens of the nation known as the Philippines.

3. Something like 95%+ of the inhabitants of the Philippines belong to the same racial group of Austronesian people.

4. Condemning all Filipinos as "mendicants, liars and cheats"based on the actions of some is therefore tantamount to condemning them based on race--ergo libya115 comments can properly be construed as racist.

You might benefit from picking up a dictionary too--deluting??

Do you agree or disagree with my statement in message 203:

{You are deluding yourself; some people go through life, always in denial, for their own personal reasons. It is totally hackneyed to suggest that you suffered no scams or dishonesty or mendicancy during your time in the Philippines. Indeed it is rife in most 'third world' countries.

It is my opinion that it is rife in the Philippines.}

A simple 'Yes' or 'No' will suffice.

If you choose to replace the word hackneyed with 'false' please feel free to do so.

Thank you.

Edited by libya 115

I am sorry if you cannot understand 'gibberish' qualtrough. I contemplate with despair at the poverty of your vocabulary in nearly all of your posts: eg.

seconded

textbook example

for starters

F.Y.I. :hackneyed=banal

Your posts and opinions are banal and also risible.

I doubt that you know the difference between erudite and araldite.

I hope this helps.

libya115--Banal as it may be to say it, but your statements above are a textbook case of argument ad hominem.

I am sorry if you cannot understand 'gibberish' qualtrough. I contemplate with despair at the poverty of your vocabulary in nearly all of your posts: eg.

seconded

textbook example

for starters

I hope this helps.

libya115--Banal as it may be to say it, but your statements above are a textbook case of argument ad hominem.

argumentum

You seem rather keen on textbooks qualtrough: I suspect that you are either an amateur; strictly amateur philosopher, or a failed lawyer or else a mediocre latin student.

Good luck with your future studies. :o

seconded

textbook example

for starters

I hope this helps.

argumentum

You seem rather keen on textbooks qualtrough: I suspect that you are either an amateur; strictly amateur philosopher, or a failed lawyer or else a mediocre latin student.

Is forum est decens valde taedium

Libya, an English scholar you may be, but for some reason you appear to be a prime target for scammers.

Edited by tropo

Libya, instead of using this thread to provide English lessons, it would have been more productive if you'd offered some facts to back up your claims that the Philippines is the most corrupt nation on earth.

I'll do that now.

I stumbled upon a very interesting list today.

It's called the "Corruption Perceptions Index".

Here it is:

CORRUPTION PERCEPTIONS INDEX

An agency by the name of "Transparency International, the global coalition against corruption" have been working on this for over 5 years providing the best possible data regarding corruption in most countries of the world.

I suggest that anyone interested go directly to the site and check out the list.

A brief discription of their list:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is the CPI?

"The Transparency International Corruption Perceptions Index ranks countries in terms of the degree to which corruption is perceived to exist among public officials and politicians. It is a composite index, a poll of polls, drawing on corruption-related data from expert and business surveys carried out by a variety of independent and reputable institutions. The CPI reflects views from around the world, including those of experts who are living in the countries evaluated. Transparency International commissions the CPI from Johann Graf Lambsdorff, a university professor based in Passau, Germany. "

For the purpose of the CPI, how is corruption defined?

"The TI CPI focuses on corruption in the public sector and defines corruption as the abuse of public office for private gain. The surveys used in compiling the CPI ask questions that relate to the misuse of public power for private benefit, for example bribery of public officials, kickbacks in public procurement, embezzlement of public funds) or questions that probe the strength of anti-

corruption policies, thereby encompassing both administrative and political corruption."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's some interesting data directly from their 2006 list:

The scores are on a 0-10 scale, with the highest figure being the least corrupt. ie. level of confidence in a country. eg 10 suggests 100% confidence in a country.

Malaysia (rank on list 44) 5.0

Singapore (5): 9.4

China (70): 3.3

Hong Kong (15): 8.3

Thailand (63): 3.6

Philippines (121): 2.5

Indonesia (130): 2.4

Cambodia (151): 2.1

Burma (160): 1.9

Vietnam (111) 2.6

Laos (111): 2.6

Russia (121): 2.5

Australia (9): 8.7

USA (20): 7.3

UK (11) 8.6

Note: The rankings are considered the same for countries with the same CPI. ie. There are 9 countries equal with the Philippines, therefore there are 9 x 121st rankings on the list.

There's no doubt that the Philippines is corrupt, but not much more than Thailand, and about equal to most of its close neighbors...and nowhere near the bottom of the list.

It's interesting to note the CPI over the last 5 years:

Thailand (starting 2001 - 2006): 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, 3.6, 3.8, 3.6

Philippines (2001 - 2006): 2.9, 2.6, 2.5, 2.6, 2.5

Thailand has gained slightly over the last 5 years, whereas the Philippines has slipped a few points.

There has been a lot of absolute statements on this thread.

Corruption is dynamic, paraphrasing the Lonley Planet, good things go bad and bad things get better.

Uncannily this was a headline on Google News this morning:

'US suffers fall in corruption ranking'

Ref#http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/provider/providerarticle.asp?feed=FT&Date=20061106&ID=6171169

Anyone come across any US or western scammers in Thailand, please let us know!!

Edited by Douggie Style

Anyone come across any US or western scammers in Thailand, please let us know!!

Happened to me a few times at the airport, the poor chap who didn't know that he needed 500B to get out of the country.

P.S. What does a 'Corruption Index' of an entire country have to do with a card game scam on Sukumvit?

Thaddeus your comment " .S. What does a 'Corruption Index' of an entire country have to do with a card game scam on Sukumvit? " is quite right ! Tropo can try to defend the integrity of the Philippines to his hearts content but the fact is the guy who I spoke to at Silom with his sleazy approach on Saturday was definitely Filipino and I will bet my shirt on it - whether or not Tropo

accuses me of being a troll or liar :D I have been to the Philippines enough times and I have traveled enough to be able to recognise a Filipino accent very easily indeed . Whether or not the Philippines is corrupt is another matter and wasn't the subject of this thread. It was about these scumbags who have come to another country to try to rip off people in Bangkok and it was a warning for other forum members. If Tropo wants to defend the integrity of these sorts of people - then go for it Tropo !!:o