mackeeper message invoked 'your mac might be infected'

ghworker2010

Sometimes I put on the vpn and take a look at some romantic websites in russia... as you do.

I have a new macbook pro with retina and was under the assumption that it would be virus free and that I would not need anti virus software.

Sometimes when on the adult content the mackeeper message is displayed 'your mac might be infected'. It opens up as a separate page and when I try to close it there is another message 'please consider cleaning your mac blah blah'.

Its obviously an advert. Is there any risk that I could have a virus based on the sites that Im looking at? Are apple macs 100% secure from viruses?

thanks

That 'ad' pops up even if one doesn't have Mackeeper installed - so a friend tells me... whistling.gif

He also tells me that it's happened to him a lot over the years, but so far has seen no symptoms of being infected...

Yes happens a lot and not just in adult content sites, for me its happens routinely in one of the torrent sites i use, at times it will download ready to be installed i clear it from the tool bar, also very early on i got hit by it far to often, i went into safari and cleared history, this i have often used by any adware that happened to pop up.

It's not a virus, just popup ad that's very annoying.

Sometimes it can be prevented by going to the Develop menu in Safari (choose to show it in your preferences for Safari) and just for surfing on those sites that do give that popup, select Disable Javascript.

Another method is installing AdBlock Plus and ScamZapper extensions. Sorry, no urls, but easily found by Googling the names.

If you visit just about any Mac forum, you will learn that MacKeeper is malware. You should uninstall it or better yet, NEVER install it. Pretty much a well presented SCAM.

• 3 months later...

That's just a javascript hijack on your browser.

If the page isn't cleared by simply closing it -- i.e., if it returns the next time you open the browser, then:

i. quit your browser

ii. hold down the Shift key and launch the browser -- this clears any saved states

If that doesn't work, try either App Fixer or DetectX from sqwarq.com