No motorcycles on bridges and ramps in Bangkok

prepress

I am pretty sure no bikes are allowed on any of the Bumphol bridges off Rama 3

They took the signs down on Rama III end years ago. There are lots of bikes on there going to Suksawat.

I have seen cops pulling people over for going on that bridge though. Maybe they took the signs down to catch people out

There is no maybees about it, it happened to me, the policeman told be I had to pay him 1000 Bt, I said no, he accepted 300 Bt.

I feel hard done by as there are 'no bike' signs at other entrances, but not where I entered, I was looking for them.

Edited by possum1931

from reading the news today minimum fine is 1k but looks like its all kicking off with protests soon. Also something about riding only in the left lane but nothing i can find in english on this at the moment.

Why dont they use a cc limit instead like the Uk as many bikes can do well over 160kph and wouldnt slow anyone down

Curious, what is the cc limit & rules there?

USA allows >150cc [e.g.PCX] on freeways, Interstates, expressways, I believe.

Been so long ago now Im not 100% sure but I think it was 250cc when I was a youngster..............1982ish

Just checked an apparently 50cc and over and capable of more than 30mph is the rule...........which seems pretty darned stupid 30mph on a UK motorway!

Edited by kannot

I stand corrected I went an looked. There is a sign that says Don't use the bridge but it is only written in Thai it does not have the universally accepted international red circle with a line through it. Also it is hidden behind a tree!

Oh well back to the ferry now!

from reading the news today minimum fine is 1k but looks like its all kicking off with protests soon. Also something about riding only in the left lane but nothing i can find in english on this at the moment.

Why dont they use a cc limit instead like the Uk as many bikes can do well over 160kph and wouldnt slow anyone down

Curious, what is the cc limit & rules there?

USA allows >150cc [e.g.PCX] on freeways, Interstates, expressways, I believe.

Unlike the Thais, the USA does use common sense.

USA it is more about maintaining minimum speeds than particular engine displacement.

Also, in USA a motorcycle is the vehicular equivalent of everything else on the road, as far as laws go.

• 1 month later...

Quite confusing for a northern Hillbilly. I guess I come in from the west or north-werst (Kanchanaburi or Suphanburi), and settle somewhere near the BTS in Thonburi, and just leave the bike there.

I guess my money is better spend on booze and h.....s, than on greedy and corrupt cops!

I am pretty sure no bikes are allowed on any of the Bumphol bridges off Rama 3

They took the signs down on Rama III end years ago. There are lots of bikes on there going to Suksawat.

I have seen cops pulling people over for going on that bridge though. Maybe they took the signs down to catch people out

There is no maybees about it, it happened to me, the policeman told be I had to pay him 1000 Bt, I said no, he accepted 300 Bt.

I feel hard done by as there are 'no bike' signs at other entrances, but not where I entered, I was looking for them.

I remember seeing them, can't exactly recall where but I'm quite sure there's at least one sign saying bikes are not allowed.

I've been all over bangkok by bike on any time of the day and I will always use under/over passes or bridges when I see fit. I rarely find police stops, maybe I'm just lucky but I pay a fine abt once a year 150bht and for me that's definitely worth it.

Also I drive on the bigger roads (like the middle of bang na trat) frontage roads are outright dangerous with all the traffic comming in and out. (mostly on a big bike tho, when you can easily go with the speed of traffic)

Banning motorbikes on flyovers is common sense. Have seen the riders responsible for accidents or near accidents weaving their way between other traffic on a flyover is extremely dangerous for obvious reasons. Now ready for the biker rant!!

So follow your logic need banned scooters/motorbikes on ALL road?

rolleyes.gif

Is it?whistling.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Ratchadaphisek underpasses often have cops waiting.

The overpass on Rama 9 Westbound over Ekkamai often has a booth and cops.

The second time I paid here I complained of all the other bikes heading Eastbound and no signage.

I knew I was wrong so paid again, but later there was a paper sign up.

It's probably gone again; I just don't go on that overpass anymore.

I now look to see if other bikers go over/under before I take the risk.

I'm betting taxi bikers know when its safe to go; at least until my next payment.

Edited by ttakata

Sounds like a crazy law to me, so people on bikes are going to have to do anything up to half an hours detour to get across the river cutting through the middle of Bangkok to, say get to work? So if they have one they're going to jump into their car instead, causing more traffic in a already traffic choked city? wind could occasionally be an issue but there has got to be a better way of dealing with it than this. Also knowing the Thai government's attitude to road safety Im sure this has much more to do with the convenience of car drivers than any safety issues with wind & bikes...

I would say it is more to do with collecting tea money.

Motorcycles over about 250cc should be allowed to go anywhere cars can, even on tollways.

Have you driven on the tollways recently?

I think it's dangerous enough being in a smallish car - no way I would want 250cc bikes cruising around on the tollways..... just imagine how easily accidents would happen in bad weather / night time / heavy traffic.

Sounds like a crazy law to me, so people on bikes are going to have to do anything up to half an hours detour to get across the river cutting through the middle of Bangkok to, say get to work? So if they have one they're going to jump into their car instead, causing more traffic in a already traffic choked city? wind could occasionally be an issue but there has got to be a better way of dealing with it than this. Also knowing the Thai government's attitude to road safety Im sure this has much more to do with the convenience of car drivers than any safety issues with wind & bikes...

Motorcycles over about 250cc should be allowed to go anywhere cars can, even on tollways.

I think it's dangerous enough being in a smallish car - no way I would want 250cc bikes cruising around on the tollways..... just imagine how easily accidents would happen in bad weather / night time / heavy traffic.

All the roads in Thailand are dangerous, it is up to the riders to use genuine common sense, and there's a good chance you will stay safe.

All the roads in Thailand are dangerous, it is up to the riders to use genuine common sense, and there's a good chance you will stay safe.

It's the 'drivers' and not the 'riders' that I would be worried about!

It's one thing to have drama at 60kmph, a very different situation when doing 120+.

It's the 'drivers' and not the 'riders' that I would be worried about!

It's one thing to have drama at 60kmph, a very different situation when doing 120+.

120 and not any + allow in thai motorway.

but if you talk Up.. in Thai market much more bike allowed do easy 150-200 and well stay on road than car.

Never see bike cut me or dangerouse ride near me on 120+ its almost all time be pick up or some small sedan who thinks that every sticker "sparco" "racing" "trd" etc add their cars 10 ph per sticker... and it makes they Schumacher's.gigglem.gif

Been doing my regular two-way Ratchawithi - Rama 9 - Ekkamai Rd run for a couple of months now. Not a copper in sight outside their little boxes...Actually, there's a couple on the return journey, approaching the Krung Thorn Bridge before Samsen but, like the woman born without a fanny, they couldn't give a....

EDIT: Are these the same underpasses / overpasses where the speed limit is 40km/h? A bit hypocritical of the car drivers to complain that because they break the law, motorbikes shouldn't break the law...???

Edited by GanDoonToonPet

• 3 months later...
hi
how to go in and out of Bangkok with motorcycle ?

is it possible to find a map ?

thanks

It's mostly experience that will get you in and out and over the river.

Where are you coming from and to ? Maybe someone can help.

• 2 weeks later...

What really sucks for me is not allowing bigger bikes, say upward of 250cc on the carriageway which

passes Don Muang airport on both directions. I have seen many bigger bikes using this carriageway

taking their chances with the BIBs tea money.

• 2 months later...
On 7.1.2017 at 9:36 AM, Seismic said:

It says  Bhumibol II bridge does not allow Motorcycles, but I was under the impression that it is OK ??

Not sure, I did not make this map. It might not be updated for a while...

On 07/01/2017 at 9:36 AM, Seismic said:

It says  Bhumibol II bridge does not allow Motorcycles, but I was under the impression that it is OK ??

Motorbikes were never allowed on the Bhumibol bridges, but I have never seen police there or have been stopped.

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/9/2560 at 9:31 AM, Namplik said:

Not sure, I did not make this map. It might not be updated for a while...

Sorted, As am from Chiang Mai not sure how to get about and to avoid these pesky bridges.
However, the nice people at OSM (OpenStreetMaps) have sorted a map for my Garmin Nuvo Sat Nav which has the "Bridges" and "Toll Roads"  in grey and "un-selectable" when setting a route

Have a look here, http://www.nightrider.info/

Will find out next week how effective

Edited by heazille