Registering new born baby to mothers home province?

Kenny202

I suggested to the missus we ask the neighbour's to put baby on their TB and she said we'd have to stay in contact with them forever

Are you legally married or just the Village marriage?

Neither. I know legally it doesn't count for anything but I was surprised they used my last name on his birth certificate

Anyone can have their name included on a child's birth certificate, even your next door neighbour.

I'm surprised your g/f isn't already planning a move back to Chaiyaphum, with your last suggestion and leaving you in KK.

You are not legally married, therefore not a member of her family, that is why the Amphur refused.

You are not legally the baby's Father under Thai law and have no parental rights whatsoever.

I suggest when you register the baby at the Amphur, you also request being registered as the baby's 'legalised' Father.

Your wife will have to agree to this.

That then gives you parental rights and more choices down the line.

There are many topics covering why you should be legalised as the babies Father.

IMHO wait until your wife is fit enough to travel then go back to Chaiyaphum, to register the child, legalise yourself as the Father, and pay any fine they throw at you.

Long term if you plan to remain in KK you need to approach the landlord and seek his permission for your wife to obtain her own TB from the local Amphur, using his address.

Edited by Faz

I believe she was told a third party can register the baby but person would need to have their own Tabian Ban and I'D card which of course I dont

Your child is eligible to go onto any house book in the country. The third party spoken of has to be the house master who has to be there to give permission.

I've put on loads of relatives onto my house book, I've had to be there each time.

So you don't put your child on your wife's house book for now given you don't want to do the drive.

Find someone else where you are to put the child on for the time being. Then when you are ready to go to the wifes district office, go there and shift the child's name to that one.

I think this is the best advice under your particular situation. Use the neighbor and later when your wife is stronger, sort it all out including if possible getting the landlord to come with you to the ampur to get you onto the tabian ban of where you actually live -- if you expect to be there for some years. If not, then have your wife temporarily change to the neighbor's TB as well and then change her and the baby at a later date when you have more permanent accomodation.

To avoid problems ask the neighbor to let them issue a separate TB to you (first for the child then later adding your wife if that's what you decide to do). That way I think-- not sure -- you will not need the neighbor's help to get taken off her TB later on. Likewise if you get changed to the TB for where you actually live, get your own book since as renters you may later want to move.

Faz's advise re parental rights is also spot on. You do not currently have any and should address this. Being in the birth certificate does not mean anything if you are not married to the Mother (though it may help in getting court to award you parental rights).

Thanks for all the "free advice" and ur opinions Faz but my question some posts ago was what happens if we don't register in 15 days and more importantly will the child be eligible for medical in the mean time.

I don't know which comment u suggest a reason my gf leaves me but you have presumed a lot.....as many often do here. I know my situation better than anyone as far as marriage, child's future welfare etc. If I was wondering what I should do there I would have asked. Please leave that to me. Do you know if a child under 15 is entitled to medical in every province irrespective of Tabian Ban. ...or not?

Edited by Kenny202

I believe she was told a third party can register the baby but person would need to have their own Tabian Ban and I'D card which of course I dont

Your child is eligible to go onto any house book in the country. The third party spoken of has to be the house master who has to be there to give permission.

I've put on loads of relatives onto my house book, I've had to be there each time.

So you don't put your child on your wife's house book for now given you don't want to do the drive.

Find someone else where you are to put the child on for the time being. Then when you are ready to go to the wifes district office, go there and shift the child's name to that one.

I think this is the best advice under your particular situation. Use the neighbor and later when your wife is stronger, sort it all out including if possible getting the landlord to come with you to the ampur to get you onto the tabian ban of where you actually live -- if you expect to be there for some years. If not, then have your wife temporarily change to the neighbor's TB as well and then change her and the baby at a later date when you have more permanent accomodation.

To avoid problems ask the neighbor to let them issue a separate TB to you (first for the child then later adding your wife if that's what you decide to do). That way I think-- not sure -- you will not need the neighbor's help to get taken off her TB later on. Likewise if you get changed to the TB for where you actually live, get your own book since as renters you may later want to move.

Faz's advise re parental rights is also spot on. You do not currently have any and should address this. Being in the birth certificate does not mean anything if you are not married to the Mother (though it may help in getting court to award you parental rights).

thanks Sheryl

Thanks for all the "free advice" and ur opinions Faz but my question some posts ago was what happens if we don't register in 15 days and more importantly will the child be eligible for medical in the mean time.

I don't know which comment u suggest a reason my gf leaves me but you have presumed a lot.....as many often do here. I know my situation better than anyone as far as marriage, child's future welfare etc. If I was wondering what I should do there I would have asked. Please leave that to me. Do you know if a child under 15 is entitled to medical in every province irrespective of Tabian Ban. ...or not?

Your quote from opening thread;

My missus moved her medical from Chaiyaphum to KK. The baby was born in KK.

You answered your own question with regards to free medical for the baby in KK.

It's all about registration within provinces in Thailand to avoid delays.

A Thai can visit any government hospital but they have to register first.

You can attend any private hospital in Thailand, but you'll pay.

Children will never be refused medical care at any government hospital for free, usually up to the age of 2.

Adding the baby to the Mothers Tabian Baan is a separate issue not associated with healthcare but the registration of all Thais whereabouts.

You can be registered as living in BKK but live in CM, but it will cause problems.

Many Thais do go back and forth, for one reason or another.

We are foreigners, in a foreign Country and whether we agree or dislike the inconvenience some procedures may cause us compared to what we're used to, it's their way, their system and the Thais are very accustom to it.

It can be very frustrating for foreigners to understand.

Your quote from opening thread;

My missus moved her medical from Chaiyaphum to KK. The baby was born in KK.

You answered your own question with regards to free medical for the baby in KK.

It's all about registration within provinces in Thailand to avoid delays.

A Thai can visit any government hospital but they have to register first.

You can attend any private hospital in Thailand, but you'll pay.

Children will never be refused medical care at any government hospital for free, usually up to the age of 2.

Adding the baby to the Mothers Tabian Baan is a separate issue not associated with healthcare but the registration of all Thais whereabouts.

You can be registered as living in BKK but live in CM, but it will cause problems.

Many Thais do go back and forth, for one reason or another.

We are foreigners, in a foreign Country and whether we agree or dislike the inconvenience some procedures may cause us compared to what we're used to, it's their way, their system and the Thais are very accustom to it.

It can be very frustrating for foreigners to understand.

Faz Im sure you mean well but I have no idea of what you're talking about?

How did I answer my own question? My girl moved her medical from Chaiyaphum to Khon Kaen. if you are saying that automatically moves the babies medical to KK or his medical IS here because he was born KK great. Say so.

My GF thinks otherwise. I don't assume anything here, no matter how logical.

Why did you say your surprised my GF doesn't leave me in KK and go back too Chaiyaphum. Whats that about?

Mate, more of the facts and less of the patronising. You assume I know things I clearly don't, because I have asked the question.....and on the other hand lecture at length on things I do understand. I am well aware I am in a different culture and yes many things are frustrating. Your assumptions that Thais enjoy these frustrations is also far from the truth. They don't have a lot of say in the matter do they.

Edited by Kenny202

Kenny I am trying to help you,

It probably is patronising because I'm looking at it from your wife's prospective and the problems she has.

All administarations are dealt with on a Province to Province basis, therefore when a Thai moves to a new Province they need to reregister all their personal documents to that effect in order to deal with local government offices. If they don't it will cause problems and countless trips back to their old Province.

For the short term your wife just wants to get her baby onto her Tabian Baan and comply with the law.

It appears she is willing to make this effort but it would cause you great inconvenience because of the 6 hour drive.

Jeez, she's been in labour for 9 months and had a Caesarean operation.

She has been relocated from a home she owned to a home she doesn't and will be aware of the things she needs to do in order to make her life easier to stay in KK. She is worried, concerned and you probably don't understand her aspirations.

If it were my g/f, I'd be getting her ID card, TB and babies birth certificate, getting up at 5am to go back to Chaiyaphum, pick up a relative and take them to the Amphur to register the baby on her TB. But that's me.

I've now probably said what others are thinking as well.

Why did you say your surprised my GF doesn't leave me in KK and go back too Chaiyaphum. Whats that about?

Your reluctance and complaint about a 6 hour drive to put your g/f's mind at ease.

If I were her I'd make my own arrangements and leave you behind in KK.

You'd be eating off the floor for a while as well as the dog.

A Thai can use any government hospital, but they need to register their details.

They don't need an address but do need their ID card. Living in one province but having an ID issued in another province may raise questions and delays, but not medical treatment. Most Thais are covered for medical under what's known as the 20 baht scheme. A government scheme to make hospital treatment affordable to all Thais.

The baby isn't old enough to have it's own ID card yet until aged 7.

It was born at KK hospital and they issued the birth certificate, so the babies information is registered there.

If you took the baby back to Chaiyaphum for example the local hospital will want details to register the baby.

In any event it will receive free medical treatment at any government hospital.

Having a TB and ID card registered within the same province you live, makes life a whole less complicated for Thais without running a gauntlet of questions and form filling. Long term your wife needs to get registered on someone's TB in KK, then change her ID card. She will know this anyway.

The neighbour is not a good idea, you have no mutual interests and your g/f is correct again.

The landlord would be a much better option because you have a mutual interest in the fact you rent his house.

Alternatively wait until she makes friends and can choose who to, or not to ask.

Until then be prepared to do some 6 hour trips if she has any official governments affairs she needs to attend to.

Mate again you have assumed a whole lot. May have mislead with my opening remarks but it's not a case of me not bothered to do it and her wanting to do the right thing. My reluctance is to not go on a wild goose chase. You may have seen a big car accident yesterday on the news where 2 guys died. They were her cousins and she is thus terrified of making this trip as well as the discomfort it will cause her and the baby. A relative in Chaiyaphum is not an option, they're all down south. What I was questioning was her interpretation of the procedure. She would rather cut her arm off than call and check options. Greing jai....you understand. Like I said have done many unesacary miles because of this. All the stuff about future schools and convenience etc is a moot point as we don't plan to live here long term. For now if the baby is able to get medical in Khon kaen I am happy. Well wait until after Songkrahn and the missus is feeling better and make the trip then and pay the fine. I believe the hospital scheme is the 30 baht scheme and am aware of moving medical registration. By the way, I'm the one who does most of the worrying and has the initiative to do things properly. She hasn't been uprooted from her family home and taken against her will to an unfriendly and foreign environment. I loved living in her village, she wanted to move here. And as for eating off the floor, hardly doubt it as i do 98% of the cooking (inc Thai food) as well as most of the housework....and pay for everything. I do this not because I'm an idiot but enjoy being busy. Appreciate ur time and effort but u flavour ur replies with little jibes and sarcasm from assumptions that just aren't the case. Please also don't assume you know what others on TV are thinking or speak on others behalf.

Thanks

Edited by Kenny202

Please let us keep it civil.

Faz, to my knowledge a Thai cannot register under the "30 baht" scheme at just any government hospital. It has to be the one that covers the physical location where they legally reside. If it were otherwise, half the country would be registered at Siriraj or Chulalongkhorn and their ilk, and for sure no one would be registered at a "community" (i.e. district level) hospital where almost everything has to then be referred up a level. Yet they are (and not happy about it). Indeed which hospital covers what location is often a factor in decisions about where to move.

Might be different for children under age 2, and never applies in an emergency, but otherwise AFAIK this is the rule.

Please let us keep it civil.

Faz, to my knowledge a Thai cannot register under the "30 baht" scheme at just any government hospital. It has to be the one that covers the physical location where they legally reside. If it were otherwise, half the country would be registered at Siriraj or Chulalongkhorn and their ilk, and for sure no one would be registered at a "community" (i.e. district level) hospital where almost everything has to then be referred up a level. Yet they are (and not happy about it). Indeed which hospital covers what location is often a factor in decisions about where to move.

Might be different for children under age 2, and never applies in an emergency, but otherwise AFAIK this is the rule.

Correct, which is why it's important for his wife to get on someone's blue book in KK asap.

However according to my Thai g/f no Thai will ever be refused medical treatment at any government hospital, for example they are visiting family in another Province.

However they will face a barrage of questions because they are registered elsewhere and will be charged

Children up to 2 years of age can attend any hospital and receive free care, which was Kenny's main concern.

It sounds as though his wife had her records sent from Chaiyaphum as in a referral to KK so she was treated under the scheme.

That's an assumption because Kenny didn't mention any charges.

That would be a one of situation but in the future his wife will either have to go back to Chaiyaphum for any treatment under the 30 baht scheme as that is her registered location, or pay at KK, or change her address to KK

It's a damn sight easier for a foreigner to move throughout Thailand, than it is for a Thai and I don't think Kenny yet appreciates the hoops his wife has to go through changing her details to a new province in order to get the services that she relies on. The problem is exasperated by the fact they now rent, so she has to rely on someone else in KK to allow her to use their address in order to complete her move to KK.

After just having a caesarean I don't think she is in much of a position to do anything at the moment.

Kenny's hands are tied to a certain extent because they are not legally married.

In hindsight these problems should have been foreseen and discussed before moving, but that's easier said than done.

Mate again you have assumed a whole lot. May have mislead with my opening remarks but it's not a case of me not bothered to do it and her wanting to do the right thing. My reluctance is to not go on a wild goose chase. You may have seen a big car accident yesterday on the news where 2 guys died. They were her cousins and she is thus terrified of making this trip as well as the discomfort it will cause her and the baby. A relative in Chaiyaphum is not an option, they're all down south. What I was questioning was her interpretation of the procedure. She would rather cut her arm off than call and check options. Greing jai....you understand. Like I said have done many unesacary miles because of this. All the stuff about future schools and convenience etc is a moot point as we don't plan to live here long term. For now if the baby is able to get medical in Khon kaen I am happy. Well wait until after Songkrahn and the missus is feeling better and make the trip then and pay the fine. I believe the hospital scheme is the 30 baht scheme and am aware of moving medical registration. By the way, I'm the one who does most of the worrying and has the initiative to do things properly. She hasn't been uprooted from her family home and taken against her will to an unfriendly and foreign environment. I loved living in her village, she wanted to move here. And as for eating off the floor, hardly doubt it as i do 98% of the cooking (inc Thai food) as well as most of the housework....and pay for everything. I do this not because I'm an idiot but enjoy being busy. Appreciate ur time and effort but u flavour ur replies with little jibes and sarcasm from assumptions that just aren't the case. Please also don't assume you know what others on TV are thinking or speak on others behalf.

Thanks

Kenny I really am trying to help in your predicament.

If I assume, it's only because you haven't given the full facts, so I am left to assume.

However I have no wish to offend and offer my apologises if I have done so.

Short term I would return to Chaiyaphum as soon as possible;

1. To get the baby register on it's Mothers TB.

2. To get legalised as the babies Father.

Longer term, you wife needs to find someone she can trust who will allow her to use their TB to register her address in KK so that she can use the local services there, rather than keep returning to Chaiyaphum. I agree with your wife about the neighbours. Landlord, yes, or wait until she makes friends and can choose for herself who to trust.

Thanks

Kenny I really am trying to help in your predicament.

If I assume, it's only because you haven't given the full facts, so I am left to assume.

However I have no wish to offend and offer my apologises if I have done so.

Short term I would return to Chaiyaphum as soon as possible;

1. To get the baby register on it's Mothers TB.

2. To get legalised as the babies Father.

Longer term, you wife needs to find someone she can trust who will allow her to use their TB to register her address in KK so that she can use the local services there, rather than keep returning to Chaiyaphum. I agree with your wife about the neighbours. Landlord, yes, or wait until she makes friends and can choose for herself who to trust.

my friend....I think I have mentioned 25 times my GF has moved her medical registration to Khon kaen. We were at first told from her province (the land that time forgot) we'd have to travel back to Chaiyaphum. Get records, copies etc take to KK. When we went to KK hospital they said no problem and moved everything themselves electronically. The hospital and services here are excellent. A TB in KK wasnt required to move records and get free medical here. The delivery of the baby by ceaser did infact cost 30 baht plus 800 baht a night for an upgraded single room.

My question and concerns were about the 15 day registration requirement and the babies entitlement to medical. Nor parental rights, gf medical, future citizenship in foreign countries. I also did mention we wont be living here permanently so pointless moving the TB here. I believe I'm clear on that now

Edited by Kenny202

Kenny, with greatest of respect, your not listening or learning.

Government hospitals provide their services for public living and registered within there catchment area, under the 30 baht scheme, but outsiders have to pay, unless they have been referred from one hospital to another.

I'm sure when your g/f first entered the KK hospital she would have explained the circumstances.

KK would have contacted the hospital in Chaiyaphum and the doctors agreed a transfer arrangement in order to treat your g/f under the 30 baht scheme.

Of course they would automatically transfer her medical records, so they knew any allergies etc.

The KK hospital appear to have been very helpful in this process, but probably told your g/f that she needs to officially change her address to KK if she needs further treatment under the scheme.

They have effectively bought her time to make these changes under the circumstances.

If you don't want to make these changes, then if in 6 months time your g/f needed hospital treatment at KK again, I'd guess they would say they had given enough time for your g/f to make the changes and either offer her the option to return to the Chaiyaphum hospital for treatment under the 30 baht scheme, or receive treatment there, but pay for it.

Please re-read Sheryl's post ~39.

Faz, to my knowledge a Thai cannot register under the "30 baht" scheme at just any government hospital. It has to be the one that covers the physical location where they legally reside.

Up to you. I'm just trying to help you understand how the systems work here for Thais.

Edited by Faz