Is that true?

Officials said yesterday that they are considering canceling the requisite 20-hour course in Thai language and culture that foreign teachers must complete before being licensed to teach the 1,2,3s and A,B,Cs.

Chaiyos Imsuwan, the deputy permanent secretary of the Ministry of Education, declared the 20-hour course too short and ineffective to teach foreigners about all things Thai. He noted that the classes might be better left in the hands of the employing schools.

For schools that want to educate their teachers on when to wai and how to order som tam that’s not spicy, guidelines for what to teach in the 20-hour course will be available from the Teachers Council of Thailand (TCT).

The TCT is currently considering many changes to its programs, including allowing foreign teachers to renew their licenses at the five- and ten-year mark, after which they can apply for a permanent license that could only be revoked in cases of serious offenses, The Nation reported.

Source: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/04/04/why-oh-wai-officials-consider-cancelling-thai-course-foreign-teachers

More: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Thai-classes-for-foreign-teachers-may-be-scrapped-30283210.html

Which reminds me, what happened to the exams you could attempt to pass for your TL?

The 20 hour course wasn't even 20 hours, but it was in fact very enlightening and worthwhile.

I'm a lucky Bastard. There's an invitation to go to such a superficial 3 day seminar for only 4000 baht last month. I'm so glad that I didn't go.

BTW, My first and not accepted Thai culture course was really about the ingredients of Somtham Laos and the Thai style version.

But when you're living here for 15 years, why would you need a Thai culture test at all? Dumb nuts.

More Admirals for the TCT and MoE. thumbsup.gif

Which reminds me, what happened to the exams you could attempt to pass for your TL?

The 20 hour course wasn't even 20 hours, but it was in fact very enlightening and worthwhile.

I'm a lucky Bastard. There's an invitation to go to such a superficial 3 day seminar for only 4000 baht last month. I'm so glad that I didn't go.

BTW, My first and not accepted Thai culture course was really about the ingredients of Somtham Laos and the Thai style version.

But when you're living here for 15 years, why would you need a Thai culture test at all? Dumb nuts.

More Admirals for the TCT and MoE. thumbsup.gif

Strange - because your post about the course did not imply that your attendance was optional.

15 years, wow! True, maybe you don't need a Thai culture course, but perhaps an English refresher would be a good idea? "But when you have been living here for 15 years".

:-)

It wasn't about any exams. Only a Thai culture course.

Archived