Trump proposes funding wall by cutting off remittances

webfact

Oh, good Lord. We've got another one that joined today.

I will admit chuckd, that while some of your more obnoxiously loudmouthed fellow travellers (a couple of usernames come to mind I am always sure) are conspicuous by their absence on these threads today, you are still in there fighting. Of course, the usual fireworks are missing, like the damp squib above, but I would applaud you for standing by your convictions. You will of course say that this is meaningless to you but I wanted to make this observation.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not go after all the mexican cartels....freeze and seize their accounts, starting with chapo guzman...the wall can be easily built in 3 years.

3 years? Read on. Just a bit more complicated than calling a contractor to build you a skyscraper.

Around 13 million yards of concrete and 5 billion pounds of rebar is the estimate. In other words, this wall would contain over three times the amount of concrete used to build the Hoover Dam spread out over thousands of miles in remote terrain, deserts and rugged New Mexico mountains without roads.

They of course have to first, engineer, plan and build 2,000 miles of road. They would then have to build at least 3 steel mills along the route with 15,000 employees just to make the rebar.

Such a wall would be greater in volume than all six pyramids of the Giza Necropolis and it is unlikely that a concrete slab in the town of Dead Dog Valley, Texas would inspire the same timeless sense of wonder...

Oh, and what about the terrain where you can't build a wall, like a floodplain or a river. Ooops. And there is private property too and towns that don't want a giant wall running thru it...and environmental issues. I know he doesn't care about the environment, but the issue will slow him down to a grinding halt in some places that drag thru the courts for years. And there better not be one place anywhere where some clever guy builds a ladder one foot taller that the wall. Then your whole plan is like...screwed.

He is creating jobs already.

Why not go after all the mexican cartels....freeze and seize their accounts, starting with chapo guzman...the wall can be easily built in 3 years.

3 years? Read on. Just a bit more complicated than calling a contractor to build you a skyscraper.

Around 13 million yards of concrete and 5 billion pounds of rebar is the estimate. In other words, this wall would contain over three times the amount of concrete used to build the Hoover Dam spread out over thousands of miles in remote terrain, deserts and rugged New Mexico mountains without roads.

They of course have to first, engineer, plan and build 2,000 miles of road. They would then have to build at least 3 steel mills along the route with 15,000 employees just to make the rebar.

Such a wall would be greater in volume than all six pyramids of the Giza Necropolis — and it is unlikely that a concrete slab in the town of Dead Dog Valley, Texas would inspire the same timeless sense of wonder...

Oh, and what about the terrain where you can't build a wall, like a floodplain or a river. Ooops. And there is private property too and towns that don't want a giant wall running thru it...and environmental issues. I know he doesn't care about the environment, but the issue will slow him down to a grinding halt in some places that drag thru the courts for years. And there better not be one place anywhere where some clever guy builds a ladder one foot taller that the wall. Then your whole plan is like...screwed.

How dare you. The Wall is not supposed to be materially realized. It is an idea. A shining light on the hill and an organizing cry like "Tally Ho". The gap between idea and reality is not one of the organizing principles of the tribe. The tribe? Who or what is the tribe? The tribe of old angry white men upset because the present doesn't resemble a romanticized past and provides a poor basis for a fantasized future devoid of people different than themselves - people wanting stuff that they simply assume the exclusive property of their good and righteous selves.

A Trump wall, about 20 feet tall with a 5 foot foundation.

Engineers estimate the materials would cost $17 billion. This does not include transporting the materials over thousands of miles. Next, labor, roads, engineering, land acquisition, machinery, infrastructure....Probably $50 billion will be the estimate and as Government projects go, the cost may double that.

Lets give them a break and say the 20 foot wall is just $80 billion.

And as Trump likes to say "THE WALL JUST GOT HIGHER!"

So how high should it be?

https://youtu.be/pcW8Yo17qvs

Edited by CousinEddie

Remittances have been discussed for over two decades as a perfect means to combat illegal aliens. Yes, take their money, because they are earning it illegally, either taking a job without going through the proper submission of a social security number or through stealing someone's social security number--identity theft. And, no, if illegals avoid applying for a job legally, they do not pay payroll taxes or have withholding. Yes, they do pay sales tax, but so does everyone who comes through the US as a tourist or just going through an airport to change planes. We don't give them US citizenship because they paid sales tax on a package of M&Ms.

Edited by Usernames

I'll continue this annoying practice we Trump detractors have of citing academic studies, experts, and professional policy and lawmakers on this issue, as well as well reasoned and researched posts by other posters (Cousin Eddie), and Trump supporters can continue to cite their own feelings and...well, I guess vague sources, and Trump, himself, who is really, really smart.

"Remittances and Immigration Wage Impact" expert and Research Economist Will Olney, (bio cite below) writes:

While my research suggests that Mexican immigrants in the United States may initially have more disposable income if they could not send money, their families back home would be less likely to invest in education, start businesses and get out of poverty. This could damage Mexico’s economy:Mexico receives $24.4 billion in remittances from immigrants in the United States, which accounts for about 2 percent of Mexico’s gross domestic product. Indeed, withholding this money may actually encourage immigration to the United States.

Banning remittances could also reduce incentives for the best and brightest immigrants to come to the United States. Without the opportunity to provide for their family and friends back home, many talented immigrants might choose to move elsewhere. Or migrants may choose instead to bring their families with them to the United States, undermining the objectives of Mr. Trump’s proposal and straining social services.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/06/opinion/how-donald-trumps-squeeze-on-immigrants-will-backfire.html

http://econ.williams.edu/profile/wwo1/

Remittances have been discussed for over two decades as a perfect means to combat illegal aliens. Yes, take their money, because they are earning it illegally, either taking a job without going through the proper submission of a social security number or through stealing someone's social security number--identity theft. And, no, if illegals avoid applying for a job legally, they do not pay payroll taxes or have withholding. Yes, they do pay sales tax, but so does everyone who comes through the US as a tourist or just going through an airport to change planes. We don't give them US citizenship because they paid sales tax on a package of M&Ms.

So why do you think that in more than 20 years nobody has implemented it ? Hmmm....so Donald will simply order it and it's done ? or is there maybe some Congressional hearing(s) and then court challenges that will tie it up for the next 2 decades. How about destroying Western Union and their competitors who garner billions from these payments ? Do we simply tell them to suck it up and go out of business ? Hmm...seems a little more complicated when faced with really implementing it. Trump is great at big concepts and ideas that fire up those who feel disenfranchised (although I am not sure how middle aged American White males can feel that way puzzled myself)...but very poor at actually making sound plans.

Sorry...but he's got nothing but bluster...no real plan to do anything. Same for eliminate the debt in 8 years by 'renegotiating trade agreements'..OK what if trading partners say NO......what's plan B ? Because I guarantee they will say exactly that. Hmmm...No plan B.

I'll continue this annoying practice we Trump detractors have of citing academic studies, experts, and professional policy and lawmakers on this issue, as well as well reasoned and researched posts by other posters (Cousin Eddie), and Trump supporters can continue to cite their own feelings and...well, I guess vague sources, and Trump, himself, who is really, really smart.

"Remittances and Immigration Wage Impact" expert and Research Economist Will Olney, (bio cite below) writes:

While my research suggests that Mexican immigrants in the United States may initially have more disposable income if they could not send money, their families back home would be less likely to invest in education, start businesses and get out of poverty. This could damage Mexico’s economy:Mexico receives $24.4 billion in remittances from immigrants in the United States, which accounts for about 2 percent of Mexico’s gross domestic product. Indeed, withholding this money may actually encourage immigration to the United States.

Banning remittances could also reduce incentives for the best and brightest immigrants to come to the United States. Without the opportunity to provide for their family and friends back home, many talented immigrants might choose to move elsewhere. Or migrants may choose instead to bring their families with them to the United States, undermining the objectives of Mr. Trump’s proposal and straining social services.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/06/opinion/how-donald-trumps-squeeze-on-immigrants-will-backfire.html

You scoundrel ! What nerve presenting facts in the face of patriotism (or is that false nationalism ?)

Have you ever been to Mexico? You act as if your image of Mexico is from the 1940s or 1950s. Mexico is not some desperate, impoverished Third World country. Its GDP is 15th in world rankings. The country is blessed with good weather, huge natural resources, as well as being the funnel for overland trade b/w the Americas. Its problem is its culture, which is created by a people far too cozy with crime. Mexico's corruption makes Thailand look like Switzerland. Its oligarchs have no intention of letting things change, which is why despite enormous increase in the country's wealth, there still exists an uneducated peasantry. Changing anything in Mexico depends on Mexico and Mexicans. Nothing the US does, whether letting in 30 million Mexicans or zero Mexicans will affect life in Mexico. Getting them OUT of the US, on the other hand, will create better circumstances for working class wage growth and a lessening of demand on resources (schools, electricity, water, natural gas, hospitals, etc) for American citizens. BTW, your article above is from the NY Times, which was bailed out several years ago by Carlos Slim, the Mexican communications magnate, who--you guessed it--owes a considerable amount of his current and ongoing fortune to Mexican remittances from the US.

Edited by Usernames

^@usernames, You make some valid points, but unfortunately, discredit your argument by alleging that the academic whose work I cited is somehow in the pocket of Carlos Slim, just because he submitted to the NY Times.

Of course, you have valid points and concerns, and observations. True, the last time I was in Mexico, was some 15 years ago, but I have done considerable business there as well, know many Mexicans of all levels, and feel I know it quite well, as I have traveled around the country a bit too, and not just to Cancun Club Med.

You Trump guys just need a better, more articulate, more thoughtful champion to frame your arguments more intelligently.

Edited by keemapoot

Over 100 posts on something that will never happen.

Trump will never be elected, the fence will never be built, the Mexicans will take over the US and the Islamic radicals will continue taking over Europe.

As far as how good NAFTA has been, here is yet another opinion on it. Criticize the source all you want. It's Huffington Post.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

NAFTA at 20: One Million U.S. Jobs Lost, Higher Income Inequality
01/06/2014 03:19 pm ET | Updated Mar 08, 2014
Lori Wallach
Director, Public Citizen’s Global Trade Watch
My New Year’s celebrations this year were haunted by memories of January 1, 1994 — the day that the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) went into effect. I remember crying that day, thinking about the proud men and women in union halls across America, the Mexican campesinos and the inspiring Canadian activists I had met during the fight against NAFTA, and hoping desperately that our dire predictions would be proved wrong.
They were not. In short order, the damage started. And, we started to document it.
And with that, I am outta this thread. It's a waste of time and effort.

NAFTA BENEFITS?

READ ON:
USA currently has 14 Free Trade Agreements in place with 20 Countries, but are currently participating in negotiations with Asia-Pacific (TPP) and the European Union.

-America’s 20 existing trade agreement partners buy 13 times more manufactured goods from the United States than other countries.

-Free Trade Agreements generated an estimated 20 million jobs since 1994.

-US exports reached an all time high of $1.3 trillion in 2015.

TRADE BALANCES SINCE FTA IMPLEMENTATION:
Australia -U.S. trade surplus with Australia increased 104%. The United States exported $26.1 billion in goods and imported $9.2 billion in Australian products.

Bahrain -U.S. exports to Bahrain grew by 190% while imports from Bahrain increased by 47.2%.

Dominican Republic: -U.S. trade has a surplus 254%. United States exported $7.1 billion and imported $4.2 billion from the Dominican Republic.

El Salvador: -U.S. exports to El Salvador grew an increase of 76%.

Guatemala: -U.S. exports have increased by 95%.

US exports $5.5 billion, imported $4.1 billion from Guatemala.

Honduras: -U.S. exports have increased by 65%.
U.S. exported $5.3 billion in goods to Honduras & imported $4.5 billion.

Nicaragua: -US exports to Nicaragua have increased by 69%.

Chile -US exports to Chile have increased by 545%. Chilean exports to the United States have increased 180%.

Jordan -U.S. exports to Jordan have increased by 514%. Imports from Jordan increased 422%.

Morocco -US exports to Morocco increased by 416%. Moroccan imports increased by 119%

Canada -U.S. exports to Canada increased by 200%. Imports from Canada increased 199%.

Mexico -U.S. exports to Mexico have increased by 443%. Mexico exports increased by 602%.

Panama -The United States exports $10.5 billion & imports $448 million in Panamanian products.

Peru
-US exports increased 245%. Imports to the United States from Peru have increased 38%.

Singapore -U.S. trade surplus with Singapore has improved by 801% to $12.8 billion. United States exported $30.6 billion to Singapore while importing $17.8 billion.

So the data proves the FTA has been a tremendous success. Trump wants to tear it up? That would be dumb.

What about the trade agreement with Asia & Europe?

The TPP (asia) & agreements with the EU are underway and confidential.

Should we trust our Trade Reps.Trump says our Trade Representatives are bozoz. Is Trump right?

Lets pick one and verify Trumps claim.

From White House . Gov website I found the resume of Susan Schwab. She was a trade rep under GW Bush.

Here is her resume:

Ambassador Susan Schwab
United States Trade Representative

www.ustr.gov

schwab-100.jpg

Ambassador Susan C. Schwab was nominated to be United States Trade Representative by President George W. Bush on April 18, 2006, and was confirmed as USTR by the United States Senate on June 8, 2006. As USTR, Ambassador Schwab is a member of the President's Cabinet and serves as the President’s principal trade advisor, negotiator, and spokesperson on trade issues.

Prior to her appointment as USTR, Ambassador Schwab served as Deputy USTR with a portfolio overseeing U.S. trade relations with Europe and Eurasia, the Middle East, and the Americas. In addition she is responsible for USTR operations involving the WTO and multilateral affairs; services and investment; intellectual property; industry, market access and telecommunications; and intergovernmental affairs and public liaison activities. Since her arrival at USTR, Ambassador Schwab has been actively engaged in the development of U.S. strategy in the Doha Round multilateral trade negotiations, and successfully concluded bilateral free trade agreements with Peru, Colombia, Panama and South Korea.

Ambassador Schwab served as Dean of the University of Maryland School of Public Policy from 1995 through 2003. Immediately before joining the Administration, she held the position of President and CEO of the University System of Maryland (USM) Foundation and USM Vice Chancellor for Advancement. Schwab came to the University of Maryland from Motorola, Inc., where she served as Director of Corporate Business Development, and where she was engaged in strategic planning and negotiation on behalf of the company in China and elsewhere in Asia. Prior to that appointment she was Assistant Secretary of Commerce and Director General of the U.S. & Foreign Commercial Service during the Administration of George H.W. Bush.

Schwab spent most of the 1980s as a trade policy specialist and then legislative director for Senator John C. Danforth (R-Mo.), playing a major role in numerous U.S. trade policy initiatives, including landmark trade legislation that Congress enacted in 1984 and 1988. Previously, Schwab served as a Trade Policy Officer in the U.S. Embassy in Tokyo. Her first job was as an agricultural trade negotiator in the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative.

Ambassador Schwab is a member of the Council on Foreign Relations and a Fellow of the National Academy of Public Administration (NAPA). She previously served on the Board of Visitors of the U.S. Air Force Academy, Board of Trustees of the Council for Excellence in Government and the National Selection Committee for the Innovations in American Government Awards program. She holds a B.A. in Political Economy from Williams College, a Masters in Development Policy from Stanford University, and a Ph.D. in Public Administration and International Business from The George Washington University.

Ambassador Schwab has published articles and a book on U.S. trade policy and legislation (“Trade-Offs: Negotiating the Omnibus Trade Act,” Harvard Business School Press, 1994), as well as articles on U.S.–Japan trade relations, trade politics, and public policy education.

In addition to the time she has spent working overseas, Ambassador Schwab is the product of a Foreign Service family and grew up in Africa, Europe and Asia. She currently resides in Annapolis, Maryland.

I would like Trump to look this lady in the eye and tell her she is stupid.

He says many of the things I wish to hear. Sadly, he does not have a chance. Arriving too late, the America Can Rise Again Ship left the docks earlier this century. Remittances are not a right, a nation has a duty to protect its economy. Target remittances. On its face its a prima fasciae example of exploiting Americans.

Correct. His manifest unsuitability is a result of the failure of the American People. Trump deserves better. He certainly thinks so.

Over 100 posts on something that will never happen.

Trump will never be elected, the fence will never be built, the Mexicans will take over the US and the Islamic radicals will continue taking over Europe.

As far as how good NAFTA has been, here is yet another opinion on it. Criticize the source all you want. It's Huffington Post.

NAFTA at 20: One Million U.S. Jobs Lost, Higher Income Inequality
01/06/2014 03:19 pm ET | Updated Mar 08, 2014
Lori Wallach
Director, Public Citizen’s Global Trade Watch
My New Year’s celebrations this year were haunted by memories of January 1, 1994 — the day that the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) went into effect. I remember crying that day, thinking about the proud men and women in union halls across America, the Mexican campesinos and the inspiring Canadian activists I had met during the fight against NAFTA, and hoping desperately that our dire predictions would be proved wrong.
They were not. In short order, the damage started. And, we started to document it.
And with that, I am outta this thread. It's a waste of time and effort.

Would that you thought that of all.

So the data proves the FTA has been a tremendous success. Trump wants to tear it up? That would be dumb.

Should we trust our Trade Reps.Trump says our Trade Representatives are bozoz. Is Trump right?

From White House . Gov website I found the resume of Susan Schwab. She was a trade rep under GW Bush.

Here is her resume:

Ambassador Susan Schwab

www.ustr.gov

schwab-100.jpg

Ambassador Susan C. Schwab was nominated to be United States Trade Representative by President George W. Bush on April 18, 2006, and was confirmed as USTR by the United States Senate on June 8, 2006. As USTR, Ambassador Schwab is a member of the President's Cabinet and serves as the President’s principal trade advisor, negotiator, and spokesperson on trade issues.

Prior to her appointment as USTR, Ambassador Schwab served as Deputy USTR with a portfolio overseeing U.S. trade relations with Europe and Eurasia, the Middle East, and the Americas. In addition she is responsible for USTR operations involving the WTO and multilateral affairs; services and investment; intellectual property; industry, market access and telecommunications; and intergovernmental affairs and public liaison activities. Since her arrival at USTR, Ambassador Schwab has been actively engaged in the development of U.S. strategy in the Doha Round multilateral trade negotiations, and successfully concluded bilateral free trade agreements with Peru, Colombia, Panama and South Korea.

Ambassador Schwab served as Dean of the University of Maryland School of Public Policy from 1995 through 2003. Immediately before joining the Administration, she held the position of President and CEO of the University System of Maryland (USM) Foundation and USM Vice Chancellor for Advancement. Schwab came to the University of Maryland from Motorola, Inc., where she served as Director of Corporate Business Development, and where she was engaged in strategic planning and negotiation on behalf of the company in China and elsewhere in Asia. Prior to that appointment she was Assistant Secretary of Commerce and Director General of the U.S. & Foreign Commercial Service during the Administration of George H.W. Bush.

Schwab spent most of the 1980s as a trade policy specialist and then legislative director for Senator John C. Danforth (R-Mo.), playing a major role in numerous U.S. trade policy initiatives, including landmark trade legislation that Congress enacted in 1984 and 1988. Previously, Schwab served as a Trade Policy Officer in the U.S. Embassy in Tokyo. Her first job was as an agricultural trade negotiator in the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative.

Ambassador Schwab is a member of the Council on Foreign Relations and a Fellow of the National Academy of Public Administration (NAPA). She previously served on the Board of Visitors of the U.S. Air Force Academy, Board of Trustees of the Council for Excellence in Government and the National Selection Committee for the Innovations in American Government Awards program. She holds a B.A. in Political Economy from Williams College, a Masters in Development Policy from Stanford University, and a Ph.D. in Public Administration and International Business from The George Washington University.

Ambassador Schwab has published articles and a book on U.S. trade policy and legislation (“Trade-Offs: Negotiating the Omnibus Trade Act,” Harvard Business School Press, 1994), as well as articles on U.S.–Japan trade relations, trade politics, and public policy education.

In addition to the time she has spent working overseas, Ambassador Schwab is the product of a Foreign Service family and grew up in Africa, Europe and Asia. She currently resides in Annapolis, Maryland.

Obviously Trump is painting with a broad brush, but do you really disagree with the baseline assertion?

Take the resume above.

1. Child of Diplomat.

2. Student in lots of awesome schools.

3. Revolving door political appointee.

4. Teacher.

There is an obvious component missing and that's precisely what Trump is saying. You couldn't of chosen a better example. Trump doesn't seem to differentiate between R and D on this, so choosing a former Bush flunkee doesn't resonate the way you may have hoped for.

Here is her resume:

Ambassador Susan Schwab

www.ustr.gov

schwab-100.jpg

Obviously Trump is painting with a broad brush, but do you really disagree with the baseline assertion?

Take the resume above.

1. Child of Diplomat.

4. Teacher.

There is an obvious component missing and that's precisely what Trump is saying. You couldn't of chosen a better example. Trump doesn't seem to differentiate between R and D on this, so choosing a former Bush flunkee doesn't resonate the way you may have hoped for.

You misspelled flunky.

Quik, somebody call FED-EX, Boeing, Caterpillar Corporation and tell them that 55jay says they invited a flunky onto their board of directors.

Edited by CousinEddie

Here is her resume:

Ambassador Susan Schwab

www.ustr.gov

schwab-100.jpg

Take the resume above.

1. Child of Diplomat.

4. Teacher.

You misspelled flunky.

Quik, somebody call FED-EX, Boeing, Caterpillar Corporation and tell them that 55jay says they invited a flunky onto their board of directors.

I think you've missed the point. But, I award you 3 gold stars for the spelling correction. Good job, Eddie.

This , yet another, hair-brained scheme by the Republican Party's shining talent, it's leading image-maker, it's most likely candidate for the general election is doing more damage to the Grand Old conservative party in America than can be imagined, and it doesn't stop there. The New York Post, 13th oldest Newspaper in the US, heavy conservative bias, Murdoch-owned, says the following today:

So what would that [acceptance that Trump will be the nominee] mean for the Republican Party? The word “disaster” somehow feels too subtle. In the long term, a Trump nominee marries the party and the conservative movement to a man who cares little for either, and whose rhetoric and policy “ideas” make Republicans look like a collective “Encino Man,” a frozen Neanderthal unearthed, thawed and dropped into a century in which it is unfit to survive.

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/s-e-cupp-trump-nominee-gop-job-harder-article-1.2589740

Trump really is the death spiral agent of the party, unraveling generations of proud Republicans, smearing them with his slime, causing many to support him and make themselves look like idiots, as we've seen on this forum, and making them hang their head in shame.

Trump is not the death agent of the Republican party he is its Grim Reaper and he's arrived to clean out house.

With only some exception, the post Nixon-Southern Strategy Republicans connect directly to Donald Trump. Ted Cruz is a minor vendor by comparison but ugly in his own right, as it were.

Lee Atwater, Sen Strom Thurmond and Potus Richard Nixon remade the contorted Republican party that we have before us today. Add Karl Rove et al.

The pre-Southern Strategy Republicans, with some exception among them too, were reasonable men, throw in several women in Washington and in the state capitals. They lived in their time and they earned varying degrees of respect from almost all quarters to include numerous respected historians.

The post 1972 Republican party began its incubation as the offspring of the political jackal we have before us.

The Nixon-Thurmond-Atwater racist Republican party spawned its line of successor rogues that leads us to Trump and the present day cabal of political sorcerers, embittered cultural reactionaries, social marginals. anti-intellectuals, deniers of science and, inter alia, obstructionists who will create and support any attempt to block the future and to blockade the United States from the advancing globalised world.

There is some Republican overlap from then to now, such as Hugh Scott, Mac Mathias, Howard Baker among others, but they with so many here unnamed others have nothing to be ashamed of except they helped put Nixon in the White House and welcomed Strom Thurmond to their ranks when he switched parties to initiate the Southern Strategy.

The Lowell Wiekers are gone and so are the Joe Lieberman types and a good riddance to them and to the likes of all of 'em.

This , yet another, hair-brained scheme by the Republican Party's shining talent, it's leading image-maker, it's most likely candidate for the general election is doing more damage to the Grand Old conservative party in America than can be imagined, and it doesn't stop there. The New York Post, 13th oldest Newspaper in the US, heavy conservative bias, Murdoch-owned, says the following today:

So what would that [acceptance that Trump will be the nominee] mean for the Republican Party? The word “disaster” somehow feels too subtle. In the long term, a Trump nominee marries the party and the conservative movement to a man who cares little for either, and whose rhetoric and policy “ideas” make Republicans look like a collective “Encino Man,” a frozen Neanderthal unearthed, thawed and dropped into a century in which it is unfit to survive.

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/s-e-cupp-trump-nominee-gop-job-harder-article-1.2589740

Trump really is the death spiral agent of the party, unraveling generations of proud Republicans, smearing them with his slime, causing many to support him and make themselves look like idiots, as we've seen on this forum, and making them hang their head in shame.

Trump is not the death agent of the Republican party he is its Grim Reaper and he's arrived to clean out house.

With only some exception, the post Nixon-Southern Strategy Republicans connect directly to Donald Trump. Ted Cruz is a minor vendor by comparison but ugly in his own right, as it were.

Lee Atwater, Sen Strom Thurmond and Potus Richard Nixon remade the contorted Republican party that we have before us today. Add Karl Rove et al.

The pre-Southern Strategy Republicans, with some exception among them too, were reasonable men, throw in several women in Washington and in the state capitals. They lived in their time and they earned varying degrees of respect from almost all quarters to include numerous respected historians.

The post 1972 Republican party began its incubation as the offspring of the political jackal we have before us.

The Nixon-Thurmond-Atwater racist Republican party spawned its line of successor rogues that leads us to Trump and the present day cabal of political sorcerers, embittered cultural reactionaries, social marginals. anti-intellectuals, deniers of science and, inter alia, obstructionists who will create and support any attempt to block the future and to blockade the United States from the advancing globalised world.

There is some Republican overlap from then to now, such as Hugh Scott, Mac Mathias, Howard Baker among others, but they with so many here unnamed others have nothing to be ashamed of except they helped put Nixon in the White House and welcomed Strom Thurmond to their ranks when he switched parties to initiate the Southern Strategy.

The Lowell Wiekers are gone and so are the Joe Lieberman types and a good riddance to them and to the likes of all of 'em.

Not sure I agree with you that the seeds of destruction of the GOP go that far back or to those specific individuals, but I would say the odds are better that you have done literature reviews or reading that I haven't done. wink.png

As a casual observer, non political scientist & non-historian, it seems to me the modern downfall of the GOP gained steam after the failed George .W admin, and paved way for the tea party, and the rise to prominence during Bill Clinton's admin. of the modern conservative media machine piling on, starting with Limbaugh, and then Fox News. It seems to me, prior to that, it was largely business as normal, perhaps more strident yearly, but just plain old vanilla elephant vs. donkey politics, and as you say - reasonable men.

Whether death agent or grim reaper, for sure, Trump is a seminal point in the GOP, quite likely leading to a massive reorganization of the party. But then...they said that after Obama's first and second election wins.

I don't see how Trump can suddenly change and be more reasonable and dump these incendiary policy proposals like dismantling Western Union, without the GOP losing this rabid base who is so fired up.

The conservatives lost the plot with their win at all costs methodology.

Isn't Roger Ailes known as the father of the conservative 'hate & fear' strategy?

It's unpatriotic and dangerous......and they wonder why quality people won't run for President???

Remember the Whitewater investigation? Pure legal harassment of the President of the USA and his wife!

60 million taxpayer dollars, wasted on lawyer fees, they found NOTHING. Oooops. What to do? Mention the "blow job' under oath....of course!

The impeachment strategy came next, run by:

Hasert - admitted serial child molester.

Gingrich - discovered banging his intern during the impeachment.

Livingston - exposed as a serial cheater with 4 "minor wives".

Nice eh?

Now, while Bill Clinton was strategizing to take out Bin Laden, these perverts were impeaching him! They probably never heard of Bin Laden.....

And when Bill Clinton sent cruise missiles into Afghanistan to kill Bin Laden, what did the conservatives have to say?

"Bill Clinton is just attempting to deflect attention from the real issues facing our country." THE BLOW JOB IMPEACHMENT HEARINGS!

That's when I started hating the Republicans. Anti Americans as far as I'm concerned.

By the way, did those scumbags ever reimburse the US for the $60 million they wasted on their failed political witch hunt?

Edited by CousinEddie

A Trump wall, about 20 feet tall with a 5 foot foundation.

Engineers estimate the materials would cost $17 billion. This does not include transporting the materials over thousands of miles. Next, labor, roads, engineering, land acquisition, machinery, infrastructure....Probably $50 billion will be the estimate and as Government projects go, the cost may double that.

Lets give them a break and say the 20 foot wall is just $80 billion.

And as Trump likes to say "THE WALL JUST GOT HIGHER!"

So how high should it be?

https://youtu.be/pcW8Yo17qvs

He actually said, "the wall just got 10 feet higher, believe me, ten feet higher." (higher than.... what was the original height?)

A note about a large people wall in the 20th century: The wall which ran between east and west Europe. It didn't just run through Berlin. Many people were killed trying to cross that wall (Trump doesn't care about brown-skinned people getting killed, btw). Yet, some people devised innovative ways to get around or over that wall. I met a Czech who hiked a long distance, through former Yugoslavia, to successfully escape. There's a story of two young men who sailboarded (surfboards with little sails) over to Sweden from E.Germany. Another story of a family making a hot air balloon from sewn-together rags. ....and many more. One thing Trump's Wall will succeed in doing: showcasing many acts of desperation, courage and innovation of Latin folks getting over and around the wall. Note, at each end of the wall, there are seas. the sailboarding gig will be viable, as will other types of sea vessels. Overhead: currently, there are several viable ways to fly over a wall, some are low-cost (balloon or motorized sail, for example). Are border guards going to shoot people out of the sky? Surface to air missiles? Rednecks would love that! The publicity for Trump would be worse than a photo showing he had a tiny dick.

The Rio Grande is the natural border between Texas & Mexico. The border goes right down the middle of the river.

Can't put the wall in the river (does Trump know that?) and the river changes course often.

The big beautiful wall of course will have to be constructed well inside the US boundary so essentially, US citizens, land owners, farmers, ranchers and our animal friends are going to find their access to Americas 5th largest waterway blocked and inaccessible.
Yes, private landowners, municipalities and even national parks are going to abandon hundreds of thousands of riverfront acres.
These ranchers & farmers use 80% of this water before it even reaches the Gulf of Mexico. They can find water somewhere else I guess.
Millions of animals will suddenly not have access to their drinking water and feeding areas.
Somehow, Trump is going to have to block the tributaries too since the Mexicans will scurry thru the gaps.

post-257235-0-54763800-1460157326_thumb.

Edited by CousinEddie

^Eddie, you keep throwing up facts, figures, reason and analysis like that, and the Trump supporters on this forum are gonna be screaming for yet another 10 foot height extension to the wall.

'Reason and analysis' are impossible to discuss with most republicans these days.

They watch that fake TV news (political campaign disguised as news) and they are all so angry all the time!

They turn off their TV and go down to the coffee shop and can't wait until they launch their Steve Doocy impression.

Obama! Hillary! Pelosi! Bangazzi! IT WAS A CARTOON!!!!! A CARTOON!!!

You can't talk reason with these people. They have different facts, they think everyone else but them, are the loonytunes.......

I am flabbergasted that some TV members actually like the wall idea.. Or anything at a that Trump has in mind. Hitler was a likable guy to many who also liked the sound of his ideas!

Building such a wall might be effective but even today.. Soooo many bad guys get on planes in the USA or enter the USA and are not supposed to be allowed in! TSA is a joke along with oftentimes ineffective and unreliable intel.. Just shocking at just how bad the USA is at not noticing stuff!

I'm not for or against the wall, but do you realise that the EU has a walls very similar to what Trump is talking about already?

Spain has a couple of exclaves in North Africa with HUGE walls surrounding them.

Melilla1.jpg

The EU doesn't seem to get any stick for being paranoid/racist.

^Eddie, you keep throwing up facts, figures, reason and analysis like that, and the Trump supporters on this forum are gonna be screaming for yet another 10 foot height extension to the wall.

'Reason and analysis' are impossible to discuss with most republicans these days.

They watch that fake TV news (political campaign disguised as news) and they are all so angry all the time!

They turn off their TV and go down to the coffee shop and can't wait until they launch their Steve Doocy impression.

Obama! Hillary! Pelosi! Bangazzi! IT WAS A CARTOON!!!!! A CARTOON!!!

You can't talk reason with these people. They have different facts, they think everyone else but them, are the loonytunes.......

Agree. I have Republican friends and anytime politics come up, they'll regurgitate the standard anti-Obama, right wing talking points non stop. But then they get rattled when I retaliate with "facts," and they'll change the subject. These are good guys...except for anything related to politics because they're as shallow as Trump.

There is about 700 miles of fences and walls in the problem areas.

The illegal Mexicans I knew in California all came thru the area with a walls and security.

You see, Mexican police are at least as crooked as Thai police. Willing to look the other way.

Mexicans on their way to the US all know how to contact the 'coyotes.'

The coyotes are professional smugglers with friends and relatives in the border security business. Get it?

These coyotes guarantee passage all the way to Los Angeles. Used to cost around $400.

(I knew a Mexican that was picked up by Immigration on a Friday and he was back on the job Monday! )

As Trump is building the big beautiful wall he can also clean up the Mexican Police Department.

"Nobody is better than me at cleaning up police corruption than me, believe me...I have a big brain. " he will probably say.