Anyone had their foreign card 'seized' by a local ATM?

Sometimes you just can't make it to a bank branch to use an ATM there so if you have to use a stand alone unit a couple of rules to keep you safe

#1. If you get a message that the machine is out of paper and cannot print you out a receipt, move on to another machine, without a transaction number if something goes wrong you have no trail

#2. Make sure that you can see the ATM's number, it is usually located next to the lock where the machine is opened, if you cannot find the machine number, again move onto another machine

#3. If something does go wrong, immediately call the phone number on the machine and report the problem. The best they can do is to tell you which branch you will have to go to the next business day to retrieve your ATM card. You cannot wait around till the machine is emptied, you will have to go to a branch and provide a copy of your passport face page to retrieve your ATM card

#4. Many card issuers will allow you to put a temporary lock on the card so that you are protected while you are waiting to retrieve it. Once you get your card back call them and they will remove the block and you are back in business with a minimum of delay

Sometimes you just can't make it to a bank branch to use an ATM there so if you have to use a stand alone unit a couple of rules to keep you safe

#1. If you get a message that the machine is out of paper and cannot print you out a receipt, move on to another machine, without a transaction number if something goes wrong you have no trail

#2. Make sure that you can see the ATM's number, it is usually located next to the lock where the machine is opened, if you cannot find the machine number, again move onto another machine

#3. If something does go wrong, immediately call the phone number on the machine and report the problem. The best they can do is to tell you which branch you will have to go to the next business day to retrieve your ATM card. You cannot wait around till the machine is emptied, you will have to go to a branch and provide a copy of your passport face page to retrieve your ATM card

#4. Many card issuers will allow you to put a temporary lock on the card so that you are protected while you are waiting to retrieve it. Once you get your card back call them and they will remove the block and you are back in business with a minimum of delay

I used to watch bank/ATM videos on the internet with commentary on the typical, careless behavior of ATM users. Also read reports on ATM skimming with photos of the devices. From this, I started a 20 second ritual before using an ATM, especially when I had a mag strip only ATM card, and extra vigilant if I broke discipline and used a stand alone ATM.

As I walk up, look around the area, including "up", for cameras, then inspect the ATM housing for anything out of the ordinary. Quick push/pull on the key pad to if there's an overlay. Bend down and visually inspect the card slot. Conceal keyboard when entering PIN.

I feel a bit more protected now with a chipped ATM card and, as before, keep the main lump of Baht in a separate, non-ATM account and just transfer what I need that day into the ATM account.

It took several calls to various BofA nodes, as in Pennsylvania. Turns out due to all that Patriotic Act nonsense, BofA requires "an identity check validated every THREE months.

Got nothing to do with the Patriot Act...it's purely a BoA policy to help reduce fraudulent transactions. Many banks worldwide have had similar policies before the Patriot Act came into existence. Some banks block any foreign transaction unless you notify them of your foriegn travel itinerary before you leave the home country. U.S. credit unions are probably the worst for pretravel notification requirements. Plenty of posts on ThaiVisa from many nationities whose cards were blocked outside their home country...and they had to contact their bank to clear things up. Yeah not uncommon at all.

Capital 1 only allows for a 30 day travel notification. If you try to put a positive balance in your account they return it after 30 days. With BofA you can have a much longer notification and a positive balance for a much longer time. Capital 1 touts itself as a card for travel but it is sorely lacking. Even BofA is much better.

Had my wespac card taken by an ATM at a Kasikorn bank in Chatchinsao.

The bank was closed at the time.

Went there when they opened and they did not want to give me the card back or bother opening the ATM to look for it.

I had my Thai GF with me and I persisted and finally the guy gave in and opened the ATM and gave me the card back

I also phoned the card co to see if all was ok and it was, problem was over, not very nice treatment from bank manager.

A street ATM a diffferent story I guess no show, you may not be able to use replacement card in a ATM when it comes as they dont pin the card you have to take the card into the bank to withdraw.

That happened when I lost a card here a while back.

It took several calls to various BofA nodes, as in Pennsylvania. Turns out due to all that Patriotic Act nonsense, BofA requires "an identity check validated every THREE months.

Got nothing to do with the Patriot Act...it's purely a BoA policy to help reduce fraudulent transactions. Many banks worldwide have had similar policies before the Patriot Act came into existence. Some banks block any foreign transaction unless you notify them of your foriegn travel itinerary before you leave the home country. U.S. credit unions are probably the worst for pretravel notification requirements. Plenty of posts on ThaiVisa from many nationities whose cards were blocked outside their home country...and they had to contact their bank to clear things up. Yeah not uncommon at all.

Capital 1 only allows for a 30 day travel notification. If you try to put a positive balance in your account they return it after 30 days. With BofA you can have a much longer notification and a positive balance for a much longer time. Capital 1 touts itself as a card for travel but it is sorely lacking. Even BofA is much better.

But there are always exceptions. Both the wife and I have CapOne credit cards...been using them around once a week here in Bangkok for years now. I have never had to provide a travel notification, however, but, my address on file with them is a military APO P.O. Box address here in Thailand versus my Bangkok home/physical address. Banks/credit card companies can remove the travel notification requirement from your profile but you have to have the right reason....I guess having an overseas APO mailing address fits that bill.

Lost a card on Silom once. It was raining and lightning struck nearby once the card had been accepted. Machine had a powerspike and restarted. Card eaten. Nightime, flying out in the morning. Gave up on that one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Capital One credit cards say that the notification only lasts a month but in reality it is not enforced. I notify them every year when I come to Thailand in October and don't notify them again till the next year. I never had a charge denied while here and since it is a cash rewards card with no overseas currency charge I use it for almost all my shopping, medical, and gas purchases

Can't comment on their ATM cards since I closed my bank account with them

All good and varied experiences here but nobody appears to have had a perfectly good foreign card snapped up by a local ATM, replete with a bogus message on the ATM screen about the account being suspended. Amex were on the ball though and had my replacement card on the way via courier within 24-hours

I already limit myself to using specific ATM machines and typically they are the ones co-located at a main bank branch. On this instance and solely for convenience, I opted to use a machine that I had used before for a cash pull from my local account with that bank using the ATM card issued by that bank. Never had any issues before. However, most ATM's here are serviced by a third-party contractor and that includes machines located on bank concourses so one has to be really careful about having backup funding just in case a 'network issue' results in more than a denial of funds and your card ejected back to you. Imagine the peril of having your source of cash totally compromised the weekend before the long Songkran holiday when even the courier services bringing your replacement card close for a week thanks to the faux benevolence of the PM.

(rant over)

Try to use an ATM machine that swipes and that does not roll in your card or use an ATM attached to the inside of a brick and mortar bank. I never had one eaten in Thailand, but have had two eaten in the USA for no valid reason. In both cases I went back to the ATM/bank in the morning and the manager gave me my card back. He can view the transaction record and see if there is a reason flagged or just a physical malfunction. Today, I suspect they are less accomodating.

Try to use an ATM machine that swipes and that does not roll in your card or use an ATM attached to the inside of a brick and mortar bank. I never had one eaten in Thailand, but have had two eaten in the USA for no valid reason. In both cases I went back to the ATM/bank in the morning and the manager gave me my card back. He can view the transaction record and see if there is a reason flagged or just a physical malfunction. Today, I suspect they are less accomodating.

I don't recall seeing a quick swipe ATM here. Have you seen/used one here? I don't get down to the big city much.

So used to the standard suck it in machine that when I went back to the US after 5 years out one time, took me a couple seconds to switch gears on them new fangled swipers. Like Crocodile Dundee yelling out the hotel window when he finally figured out what bidet was for. laugh.png

I have never seen one either. The only other time I lost my card is because I am used to swipe and go and I just walked away in ignorance. No problem, new card 100 Baht from Bangkok Bank. They said I had to accept their chipped card what does not work at other Banks. I thought it would be a hassle but so far no problems.