All Chinese tourists are not created equal

Inspire

All Chinese tourists are not created equal
chinese.jpg

Welcome to “Every Picture Tells a Story”; a weekly post about living in Thailand. Each week we’ll post a picture that illustrates some of the best parts about living in Thailand.

Go to the Bangkok Post website and search for stories on “Chinese tourists”. You’ll be served a menu of articles with a wide array of perspectives.

Some hail the prowess of the Tourism Authority of Thailand for bringing the nuevo-cash to our shores. Some see it as a changing of the guard in terms of Thai tourism.

Many articles recount heinous cultural atrocities committed by Chinese tourists. From desecrating ancient temples to spitting on the floor in restaurants, Chinese tourists are portrayed as heathens who have no regard for anything but their own desires.

I’ve witnessed this kind of tourist first hand in more than one city here in Thailand. Four double-decker tour buses pull up and suddenly the streets are awash in Chinese tourists all shouting and pointing and moving like a giant school of feeding fish towards unsuspecting vendors and shop owners.

An Italian deli owner in Jomtien says 30 of them invaded her small shop inhabiting every corner; taking pictures … picking up each and every item in the shop … and then leaving as suddenly as they had arrived … not spending one satang.

A guesthouse owner in Chiang Mai says Chinese families show up to stay a week with no luggage. They wash their one set of clothes in the bathroom sink and hang them on the furniture to dry every day. And according to this hotelier, they do not understand the concept of “no smoking”.

Full story: http://www.inspirepattaya.com/lifestyle/chinese-tourists-created-equal/

inspire-pattaya1.jpg
-- Inspire Pattaya 2016-04-09

A very weak piece indeed, intended to be humorous...fail

Chinese tourists visit shops, ride on buses, smoke and eat...riveting stuff indeed

They might get more mileage on a expose' one the local beer bar farang residents/walts who claim to be EX-SAS, EX-Navy seals, EX senior managers of multi-nationals, you know the types, wash up on Thailands fair shores and re-invent themselves....one week executive of a MNC, the next a property tycoon

How about a piece entitled "A Walt-A-week"

Blatant racism, replace Chinese with Jewish and watch the reaction.

Disgusting.

Israeli Jews get told plenty:

The Problem With Israeli Travelers - Jewish World - Haaretz ...

www.haaretz.com › Jewish World

"No matter where you go in the world, Israelis are easily identifiable: they’re rude, impatient and make a lot of noise. Such behavior gives Israel and Jews a bad name. But things don’t have-to stay that way."

'Ugly Israeli' goes viral - Al-Monitor: the Pulse of the Middle ...

www.al-monitor.com/.../ugly-israeli-rude-agressive-citizens-phenomeno

Italian Hotels Shocked By Behavior Of Israeli Tourists ...

failedmessiah.typepad.com/.../ugly-israelis-italian-hotels-shocked-by-b

"empty the fruit basket and open a "sandwich factory" at the breakfast room, preparing food that would last them the whole day.

Sounds like the Catskills in the old days."

Edited by Enoon

Chinese tourists visit shops, ride on buses, smoke and eat...riveting stuff indeed

They might get more mileage on a expose' one the local beer bar farang residents/walts who claim to be EX-SAS, EX-Navy seals, EX senior managers of multi-nationals, you know the types, wash up on Thailands fair shores and re-invent themselves....one week executive of a MNC, the next a property tycoon

Thought it was far more interesting than your "Riveting" little exercise.

Thought it was far more interesting than your "Riveting" little exercise.

and everyone is entitled to an opinion of course, but in my defence..my paragraph took all of 30 seconds to write, and I am not trying to portray myself a "professional" writer...the subject matter is poorly selected "as the first in a series"...the piece clichéd and the prose is poor and clunky,

the writer is obviously not cut out for writing satirical pieces and maybe should stick to writing "property for sale" advertisements

Blatant racism, replace Chinese with Jewish and watch the reaction.

Disgusting.

Israeli Jews get told plenty:

The Problem With Israeli Travelers - Jewish World - Haaretz ...

www.haaretz.com › Jewish World

"No matter where you go in the world, Israelis are easily identifiable: they’re rude, impatient and make a lot of noise. Such behavior gives Israel and Jews a bad name. But things don’t have-to stay that way."

'Ugly Israeli' goes viral - Al-Monitor: the Pulse of the Middle ...

www.al-monitor.com/.../ugly-israeli-rude-agressive-citizens-phenomeno

Italian Hotels Shocked By Behavior Of Israeli Tourists ...

failedmessiah.typepad.com/.../ugly-israelis-italian-hotels-shocked-by-b

"empty the fruit basket and open a "sandwich factory" at the breakfast room, preparing food that would last them the whole day.

Sounds like the Catskills in the old days."

Sadly, the Israeli backpackers don't have a good reputation. I've seen signs on guesthouses in Chiang Mai saying "No Israelis". They are generally not good tourists. But like the Chinese, or any other ethnic group, not all are bad.

I agree with Bobotie AND Torrens54. I am a professional writer and have been struck by the paucity of the prose in the article. It is difficult to write satire and the above author fails.

I, too, make my living from words. But this piece is not an attempt at satire. It is a blatant excuse to launch a racist attack on the Chinese - nothing more, nothing less. The topic is a "picture of the week" type column. It's the picture that is supposed to be the focus of the column, not the words. The text is entirely unnecessary, other than to set the scene for the pix. Therefore the text above is an opinion piece - and a childish, amateurish and boring one at that.

Edit: Oops, sorry, put a comma where I needed a period. Naughty boy. :)

Edited by WitawatWatawit

I'm not like that. Trump said I'm a LOSER. I just go in the bars to throw a trumper-tantrum when the bargirl says "I love you, Joe, no bulls###

I think what was meant as " difference " and " quality" can be used to describe all tourists, everywhere. The Chinese low cost market is a very new one. They travel short distances, all inclusive, and spend little money. These people have almost never been out of China, do not have our " social manners" and yes, can seem to be very rude and impolite to others. I met a lady working in a Jomtien hotel not long back, saying they had a days full cleaning as the tour bus of tourists practically wrecked the hotel ! I won't bore you with the details. I myself have seen Chinese tourists spitting spare rib bones etc onto the table and floor in a nice restaurant, it took my appetite away and I asked to be moved. But, other countries have all inclusive holidays too, British, Germans, etc etc, and some behave atrociously when on holidays, or, do not spend a penny. When working in Spain 40 odd years ago, I met a British family who could not afford to buy their kids ice creams , they'd come with practically no money to Spain !!! That was the beginning of British low cost holidays. Chinese tour groups come to Paris and the south of France, stay in 5 star hotels, and spend a fortune on designer goods.They emptied the " Galerie Lafayette" shopping mall of every designer handbag they had last summer ! A fortune. These are the differences.

I think it's a live and learn process. Once the Chinese get a hang of foreign holidays, they will eventually adapt. If they get refused custom from hotels, airlines , they will soon set down their own set of rules for their own people. Most restaurants refuse Chinese groups. It won't take long,for them to rectify this problem.

<deleted>

Chinese its race?blink.pngfacepalm.gif

Are you sure not Asian?cheesy.gif

Not see quite simply realy simply in Thaiwan or HK..

whistling.gif

Even in Thailand Chinese etnic group cant say quite simply.

PS

Village people any race and any nationality it more simple..( but it not really bad) In China if look history murdered many million people. Can say all total some education ( in past educated it be who have some money) be murdered or run from China( Taiwan as examle)

But still some stay in China..

Chinese ethnic group is one of the largest on earth. Communists took away a lot of educated people from this ethnic group. so , YES, not the educated of this ethnic group a large percentage of the territory of China.

But say "horrible race of uncultured people" it total wrong..

1. Chines its not race it nationality or ethnic group.

2. Even large percentage from this is ethnic group quite simply cant say it about all group..

As example if you do not know simple thinks as what is "race" ( you quite simply?) cant say this is about ethnic group from which you comebiggrin.png

Post removed & responses to it/ quoting it.

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.