Free Entry to National Parks for Thais on ‘Family Day’

rooster59

This offer is for Thai families. Shouldn't be so hard to understand. If you live here without a citizenship why even bother discussing thai/farang discrimination.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

See now publically they are admitting to racism, even a foreigner married to a Thai cannot get free entry with his Thai family, if that is not racism what is.

Thais try not to say the word but it is there nonetheless. In many walks of life and dealing with Thai government agencies over the years. racism with a large 'R'

What do you mean, Thais try not to say it? Moreso than other nationalities?

By the way, no Thai ever calls themself khun. They will laugh at you if you call yourself khun Paul. This is a title given to another to show respect.

A foreigner married to a Thai has no excuse for not getting citizenship, unless they are not wanted.

@Sawan Chan 7

Visitor? I work here and pay taxes, direct and indirect.

Special offers based on nationality are discrimination and wrong.

As for arrogance, pot meet kettle.

You work here but haven't applied for citizenship? May I ask why?

No.

See now publically they are admitting to racism, even a foreigner married to a Thai cannot get free entry with his Thai family, if that is not racism what is.

Thais try not to say the word but it is there nonetheless. In many walks of life and dealing with Thai government agencies over the years. racism with a large 'R'

What do you mean, Thais try not to say it? Moreso than other nationalities?

By the way, no Thai ever calls themself khun. They will laugh at you if you call yourself khun Paul. This is a title given to another to show respect.

A foreigner married to a Thai has no excuse for not getting citizenship, unless they are not wanted.

I am married to a Thai woman and do not intend to apply for Thai citizenship. My wife, on the other hand, has expressed her desire to become a citizen of my home country.

This could be confusing. Perhaps you have a ready explanation.

Edited by phoenixdoglover

Although going off-topic, IMHO the criteria for applying for PR or for citizenship is not that straightforward for many.

I have lived in Thailand since 2002, and am no closer to applying for either PR or citizenship. Why? Because although I have invested more than 20 million baht in building 4 small hotels, worked as a police volunteer for 10 years, studied for an MA in Thai Culture, speak, read, write Thai blah blah blah, I have not 'worked' in Thailand. I have invested in Thailand as a business owner, but being owner/shareholder of successful businesses that pays all correct taxes does not nullify the need to actually pay tax as an 'lowly' employee.

I would love to apply for Thai citizenship, (and most local Thais who know me all assume that I must have a Thai ID card by now..). But alas, being happily divorced from 2 Thai women bars me from applying, (I need to be married to a Thai to apply for citizenship - or have PR, which has never been possible for the reasons stated above). Even having a Thai son doesn't help me in the slightest.

I'm sure there are many who do fit/meet the application criteria. But I think there is also a large number of foreigners who 'slip through the net' on some minor point, and have no chance of ever meeting the application criteria.

Edited by simon43

Although going off-topic, IMHO the criteria for applying for PR or for citizenship is not that straightforward for many.

I have lived in Thailand since 2002, and am no closer to applying for either PR or citizenship. Why? Because although I have invested more than 20 million baht in building 4 small hotels, worked as a police volunteer for 10 years, studied for an MA in Thai Culture, speak, read, write Thai blah blah blah, I have not 'worked' in Thailand. I have invested in Thailand as a business owner, but being owner/shareholder of successful businesses that pays all correct taxes does not nullify the need to actually pay tax as an 'lowly' employee.

I would love to apply for Thai citizenship, (and most local Thais who know me all assume that I must have a Thai ID card by now..). But alas, being happily divorced from 2 Thai women bars me from applying, (I need to be married to a Thai to apply for citizenship - or have PR, which has never been possible for the reasons stated above). Even having a Thai son doesn't help me in the slightest.

I'm sure there are many who do fit/meet the application criteria. But I think there is also a large number of foreigners who 'slip through the net' on some minor point, and have no chance of ever meeting the application criteria.

Getting citizenship for any country is not straightforward, one must want to get it and go through a long process.

Some here, like a recent poster won't even give the reasons why they don't apply. In my 3 decades here, I think I know the reason - arrogance, pure and simple, with a feeling of superiority(they don't even think they should be fluent in Thai). There is one country that is the worst, which i don't think I need to state, who think all Thais should speak English.

Getting citizenship for any country is not straightforward, one must want to get it and go through a long process.

Some here, like a recent poster won't even give the reasons why they don't apply. In my 3 decades here, I think I know the reason - arrogance, pure and simple, with a feeling of superiority(they don't even think they should be fluent in Thai). There is one country that is the worst, which i don't think I need to state, who think all Thais should speak English.

If you are referring to me, please explain why my personal decisions have relevance here. This about the rights and wrongs of discrimination, not personal decision making.

Debate the issue not the poster.

Edited by Bluespunk

And foreigners with Thai families?

Why am I even bother to ask.

If foreigners with Thai families cant be arsed to get citizenship then of course they should have to pay. Most can't even be bothered to attempt to integrate judging on the Thai language level of many I've met. If you want to live as an outcast take the consequences.

Agreed.

I accept that I live in Thailand with an Australian passport and will happily take my family to the national park and happily pay my way.

I remember living near Darra in Brisbane which is a huge Vietnamese community. All tight knit, could not speak English, but Vietnamese friends said all these people did was complain, complain, complain about Australia.

If you don't like it. Go home.

what is your definition of a FAMILY? Would one member of the family being thai be defined as a thai family or would it require a majority such as a thai mum and one thai child or two? Could the farang father be accepted into the definition as family? I had to go through the courts and family services in Thailand to be recognised as the father of my son even tho my details appeared on the birth certificate to obtain a 12 month family visa. This identifies me as family only for a visa but not for family passes to anything else.

You identify yourself as an Australian and I don't know is your are married or partnered to a Thai and have children but can I ask you a question? If you had a family and took them back to Australia for a holiday or extended stay and decided to go to an event, park or what ever and they had family tickets would you purchase one?

What if the attendant said to you, sorry Sir the lady with you is Asian and the children look mixed, you can't be family. Do you have any documentation to prove you are a family. Personally I would be pissed off if my family whom I love was judged by appearance. I don't know about you but I guess you would say to your family if you don't like it bugger off back to Thailand.

Thank you generalissimo Surasak for expressing your deep appreciation of foreigners who feed you for a large part,

and exclude them from a once a year freebee.

THEY ARE THE SMALL THINGS THAT COUNT.

This small thing doesn't count for much for many I can assure you. I was in a park yesterday, by far the majority of the visitors were of European decent, the dual pricing is not putting off tourists, perhaps a few cheap charlies who would happily drink a beer priced more than the foreigner entrance ticket, but not the intelligent clientele that frequent the parks on a regular basis, they are happy to help subsidize the upkeep. And foreigners contribute a SMALL part to the economy not a large part, about 8.5%, farming and manufacture feed Thailand's economy not a load of moaning ex-pats, thanks.

Your line regarding intelligent clientele is wrong and insulting.

I do wonder how many of them understand they are being charged 10 x the Thai price? I wonder if you would pay if it was suddenly put up to 4,000 baht?

People living here, working with families still get the 10 x added price. Do you really find that an acceptable method to run a business, which parks are if you are being charged?

The people I have met in recent days have all been intelligent, they were all aware of the dual pricing as we all had a good joke about the losers who prefer to sit in a bar and moan than pay the price of one beer to get into the park, thanks.

And I have never been to a park where it is ten times the fee, always five times and that has been from 100 to 200 baht, hardly a lot. Personally I would make a rule that anyone on a type B or O visa pays the same as Thais, that in my opinion is fair, but I also would not piss and moan about it if it was not, and I certainly would not boycott nature due to this petty amount. I wonder how many posters complaining here have spent more than the entrance fee on piss since they started moaning on here. Truly sad stuff that really epitomizes all that is wrong with Expats in Thailand.

@Shawn0001

You

You never answered my question, do you think it wrong that Japanese and Swiss nationals subsidize their tourists? Or are you going to erroneously claim that subsidies are discriminatory? Anyway, who really cares what you think, I am happy to subsidize the poor and I am happy if their are less moaning foreigners to share the park with, have fun on the net, I am off to see some wildlife, laters.

Me

I did answer your question.

As to who cares? I do. And so should everyone who recognises discrimination as being wrong.

No, you said that you think all discrimination is wrong but my question was regarding subsidies.

Do you think it is wrong for the Japanese and Swiss to subsidize foreign tourists?

Your erroneous "recognition" of this local subsidy paid by foreign tourism as being discriminatory is getting funny, don't give up yet! Who exactly do you think i getting discriminated against by giving Thais the ticket for 10% of the going rate? LOL

You do know what discrimination is don't you?

It's not the same as a price structure based upon considerations of age.

It's not the same as something that is applied to all regardless of gender, faith and nationality.

Discrimination is based upon prejudice and all the bigotry that accompanies it. Can you really not see that?

There are none so blind as those who will not see.

You never answered my question, do you think it wrong that Japanese and Swiss nationals subsidize their tourists? Or are you going to erroneously claim that subsidies are discriminatory? Anyway, who really cares what you think, I am happy to subsidize the poor and I am happy if their are less moaning foreigners to share the park with, have fun on the net, I am off to see some wildlife, laters.

Agreed. I might go out to the national parks as well.

Apparently my wife and kids get to go for free so a bonus for me.

Thanks Thailand. Gotta love living here.

I didn't stay long, too hot today.

All these people moaning about 80 baht are hilarious, you just know they go to bars where they pay twice the going rate because they are "falang friendly" and they can order their Leo in English, proper losers who would rather stay in moaning on the internet than support a worthwhile cause and actually see something, pretty funny stuff.

@Shawn0001

You

Me

As to who cares? I do. And so should everyone who recognises discrimination as being wrong.

No, you said that you think all discrimination is wrong but my question was regarding subsidies.

Do you think it is wrong for the Japanese and Swiss to subsidize foreign tourists?

Your erroneous "recognition" of this local subsidy paid by foreign tourism as being discriminatory is getting funny, don't give up yet! Who exactly do you think i getting discriminated against by giving Thais the ticket for 10% of the going rate? LOL

Pricing based on nationality is discriminatory. I think all discrimination based on gender, race, faith, nationality, whatever is wrong. What is it about this you fail to grasp?

If you are referring to me, please explain why my personal decisions have relevance here. This about the rights and wrongs of discrimination, not personal decision making.

This is NOT about discrimination. You seem isolated in thinking it is. When I get citizenship, do you think the guy who married Noi from the Pink Pussy bar, had a kid and bought a pick-up should get the same benefits as I just because he has a "Thai family"?

You do know what discrimination is don't you?

It's not the same as a price structure based upon considerations of age.

It's not the same as something that is applied to all regardless of gender, faith and nationality.

Discrimination is based upon prejudice and all the bigotry that accompanies it. Can you really not see that?

There are none so blind as those who will not see.

All these people moaning about 80 baht are hilarious, you just know they go to bars where they pay twice the going rate because they are "falang friendly" and they can order their Leo in English, proper losers who would rather stay in moaning on the internet than support a worthwhile cause and actually see something, pretty funny stuff.

We don't all go to bars, how is it you know about bars

@Shawn0001

You

Me

Pricing based on nationality is discriminatory. I think all discrimination based on gender, race, faith, nationality, whatever is wrong. What is it about this you fail to grasp?

I just don't fail to recognize the difference between discrimination and subsidizing the poor, that is all, you do and that is your loss, have fun.

We don't all go to bars, how is it you know about bars

My mummy told me about them.

This is NOT about discrimination. You seem isolated in thinking it is. When I get citizenship, do you think the guy who married Noi from the Pink Pussy bar, had a kid and bought a pick-up should get the same benefits as I just because he has a "Thai family"?

Why shouldn't they? You have chosen your path, they their's. You may not approve and I would share your reservations on some level but what they do is not for me to judge. It's not what I would do but that's not to say I am right.

OK, I think I have had enough of this...... If Thailand has this two tier pricing for tourists, most of us have to accept this....... I am not a tourist (as many others) and I chose to live and work here.. The issue is, We, who live, work and pay taxes here should be treated the same as Thais in respect to admission fees (as many Thais work, but evade their taxes). I (and many others) contribute to the welfare, education and growth of this country, so why the discrimination and the " You Farang" mentality??? I have personally lived here for 20+ years and see no benefit or sense in this way of thinking... It is not about the money .. I would happily pay the same inflated price for my wife and daughter rather than being singled out as " Farang" Time to wake up folks............

Edited by bootly66

OK, I think I have had enough of this...... If Thailand has this two tier pricing for tourists, most of us have to accept this....... I am not a tourist (as many others) and I chose to live and work here.. The issue is, We, who live, work and pay taxes here should be treated the same as Thais in respect to admission fees (as many Thais work, but evade their taxes). I (and many others) contribute to the welfare, education and growth of this country, so why the discrimination and the " You Farang" mentality??? I have personally lived here for 20+ years and see no benefit or sense in this way of thinking... It is not about the money .. I would happily pay the same inflated price for my wife and daughter rather than being singled out as " Farang" Time to wake up folks............

Is there any "two tier pricing" with your salary.. are you paid the same rate as a Thai employee ?

Is there any "two tier pricing" with your salary.. are you paid the same rate as a Thai employee ?

ooooohhh, !! I see where where you are coming from, but i cannot drive a Tuk-Tuk (although I wish I could ) I, as many others are helping and pushing Thailand towards more economic prosperity.... but also, if I want to visit my family, it costs a little more than a pick-up drive up north...

How to spot a racist, and there seems to be a few attempting to make captial out of this thread .....

Racism is a nasty nomenclature....since racism was proved to be not only unscientific but the realm of the stupid, racists have had to reorganise the way they behave...basically they do two things...firstly they pick up on minor examples and repeatedly denounce them as racist....that way they feel they are denigrating those who are genuinely anti-racist....the other side of the coin is to pick up on minor things that ARE racist and claim they're not by using cliches such as "PC gone mad" or "nanny State".

in short if someone sees things like this as racist, they probably are

no but I don't do the same job - if I did, I wouldn't get a work permit.

If foreigners with Thai families cant be arsed to get citizenship then of course they should have to pay. Most can't even be bothered to attempt to integrate judging on the Thai language level of many I've met. If you want to live as an outcast take the consequences.
Integrate? lol

No offense, but you never will be one of them, no matter how much you are day dreaming about it or pretend you're accepted.

That said, the locals deserve their one free day. So many of them are going to die next week, or know someone who will, a freebie park visit may be the last thing they ever get to do.

People said that about Jamaicans and Indians in the UK not so long ago.

People said that about blacks in the USA 50 years ago.

I have a dream that we will get equal rights, is there anything wrong with that. I'm applying for citizenship, you can bend over for them if you like.

Good luck with your citizenship, hope you can handle disappointments ok, or are you just a natural joker?

Why would I need to be an executive of a Thai company ?

Maybe you should educate yourself on the requirements to obtain citizenship.

Have a read here.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/19731-thai-citizenship-requirements/

Would a forum on TV really be the place to "educate" yourself on this matter? I was going by the Thai Embassy, who state that as a requirement for PR status which eventually leads to citizenship. You can educate yourself about that here: http://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand/thai-permanent-residency.php

I dont need to do the PR.

TV offers a wealth of information in regards to citizenship, you should have a search and educate yourself as you don't seem to very knowledgeable on the subject at all.

Quite unusual to get enough points without it, I prefer the Thai Embassy as they are accurate whereas forums are full of misunderstandings and misquotes like you posted above, which is actually an edited version of a page from the Thai embassy missing out the line about points from PR, but each to their own.

From your site:

Thai Permanent Residency

... You must have 3 consecutive yearly extensions in order to qualify.You must be a holder of a non-immigrant visa at the time of submitting your application. You must be able to meet ONE of these categories to apply for PR status in Thailand:Investment category (minimum 3 – 10 Mil. Baht investment in Thailand)Working/ Business categorySupport a family or Humanity Reasons category: In this category, you must have a relationship with a Thai citizen or an alien who already posses a residence permit as a husband or wife; father or mother; or a guardian of a Thai child under 20 years of age.Expert / academic categoryOther categories as determined by Thai ImmigrationYou should note that the list of r

Edited by SABloke

How to spot a racist, and there seems to be a few attempting to make captial out of this thread .....

Racism is a nasty nomenclature....since racism was proved to be not only unscientific but the realm of the stupid, racists have had to reorganise the way they behave...basically they do two things...firstly they pick up on minor examples and repeatedly denounce them as racist....that way they feel they are denigrating those who are genuinely anti-racist....the other side of the coin is to pick up on minor things that ARE racist and claim they're not by using cliches such as "PC gone mad" or "nanny State".

in short if someone sees things like this as racist, they probably are

Very well said.

Integrate? lol

No offense, but you never will be one of them, no matter how much you are day dreaming about it or pretend you're accepted.

That said, the locals deserve their one free day. So many of them are going to die next week, or know someone who will, a freebie park visit may be the last thing they ever get to do.
People said that about Jamaicans and Indians in the UK not so long ago.
People said that about blacks in the USA 50 years ago.

I have a dream that we will get equal rights, is there anything wrong with that. I'm applying for citizenship, you can bend over for them if you like.

Good luck with your citizenship, hope you can handle disappointments ok, or are you just a natural joker?

What makes you think he'll be refused?
When I talked to the special branch police they told me that if you satisfy the 50 points, which is easy, you are almost guaranteed citizenship, usually in about 3 years. For a 6 figure sum this can be quickened.

Most of the national parks are quite boring anyway, my garden is much more fascinating and its free 365 days of the year.

Utterly subjective and facile comment that says more about the poster than the issues involved

His post is valid. If you have been to parks outside of Thailand, especially Western, Japanese or Korean, the Thai parks are quite lacking and often poorly kept.

whats your point there SABloke ?

My point is that Shawn was slagging you off for using Thaivisa as a reference, but he originally presented the points regarding 10mil etc. in a way that showed he didn't even properly read his almighty thaiembassy (I wonder of he knows it's not a real embassy)